I am able to control my Genie Aladdin Garage door via Postman after following the instructions here. Genie Aladdin Connect
It was exciting getting my garage door to open/close and report back the current status (open, opening, closing, closed)
This was my first time ever using Postman, and I barely understand the difference between POST and GET.
Things I would like to be able to do:
- Have my Garage Door show on my Dashboard with the valid state (Open, Closed, etc)
- Be able to open/close my garage door via my dashboard
- Get an alert when my garage door is open
- Have my garage door close at a certain time of night if it was left open
- Activate scenes when arriving home and opening the garage
My plan to achieve what I want to do, above:
- Create a Virtual Garage Door for my dashboard
- Use RM and API calls to detect the state of the door, and use that to update the state of the Virtual Garage door
- Use RM and the Virtual Garage Door use that as a trigger for some of the actions above
What I can't figure out - my questions for you folks much smarter than me:
- How do I turn what I have working in Postman into the appropriate API calls in RM4 to achieve my goals above?
- Because the state of the door is based on a GET and not a PUSH, do I have to regularly query the garage door API (every minute or 2) to get an update on the state of the door, or is there a better/more efficient way?
I feel like I'm close after getting the Garage door fully working with Postman. But I only got it working because I followed a tutorial, not because I am a dev (I am not a dev), and now I'm clueless on how to get this into Hubitat with the various API possibilities in RM.
On a tangent - it feels like someone with solid Groovy chops could create a slick Driver using the code samples from Postman above. Such a driver would ask a user to enter user ID/password, convert that to Base64, grab the other values necessary, and give full control of the door through Hubitat. Then my wacky rules above would be a lot easier to create! I am not the person with the chops to do that, unfortunately.
PS: I was inspired by this thread over on the 'other' message board which led me to Postman: Genie Aladdin garage door - Devices & Integrations - SmartThings Community There is no DTH I could find as a starting point to create a device driver, unfortunately.