Iris Contact Sensors

I bought a lot of 10 x IL06-1 off eBay (Iris v3) for $40. No problem. Fresh batteries, so all is good,except that they don't ship with magnets.

Bought a pack of 10 wired contact sensors & magnets off Amazon - to scavenge the magnets for the Iris':
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LYD3Y6Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only problem is for the sensors to work I had to offset the magnets by about 1/4 - 1/2".

I would think that something like this would work better.

http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Magnets-Rare-Earth-Neodymium/dp/B07S6GJXCZ

Plus, since these are stronger, you wouldn't have to have them tilted on their side, you could just leave them flat. The magnet inside the iris sensor is REALLY small. So, it doesn't take much. But they are finicky on the alignment...but that's true with their own magnets as well.

1 Like

I’m hearing that they are worth giving a shot. Thanks everyone.

I have many wired alarm contact sensors that use these magnets. They are nice because you can screw them into a surface, super small screw. I use one on my mailbox with an Iris v2 sensor and they work great
https://www.amazon.com/DIYMAG-Neodymium-Countersunk-Magnets-Permanent/dp/B071ZKQ2X5/

I have both Iris v1 and v2 contact sensors and I prefer the v1’s. The v2’s don’t have a separate hardware magnetic switch like the v1’s. So I believe the v1’s are a tiny bit faster but the reason I prefer the v1’s is that I actually drill small holes in the case and solder a wire on to each side of the switch to make super cheap water sensors. I have at least 15 v1’s in use and 5 or 6 of the v2’s without any problems for almost a year that I’ve had Hubitat.

You can also solder other sensors to those like a Photo Light Sensitive Resistor on those v1 contacts. What does the ebay seller do with all of those magnets?

This is what I meant with "offset" - to shift the magnet over a bit so it would align and trigger the sensor repeatedly. Might look a bit fugly, but it works, and at the combined price is not a deal breaker.

Btw - this is my garage door MyQ "open/close" sensor. When the door opens/closes, the hinge part with the sensor (which is not screwed down into the support) will rotate - indicating status.

That's a good solution to creating a makeshift Tilt Sensor. I always had trouble with my Iris sensor's batteries dying in my garage in the cold.

So between these three models which do you recommend?

Iris Model iL06-1
Iris Model 3320-L
Iris Model DWS800

--Christian

I would avoid the 1st gen DWS800, along with all 1st gen Iris stuff. If you don’t already have a bunch of it, no reason to buy non-standards-compliant devices.

I have had good luck with the 3320-L. I’ve never used the iL06-1.

I've had good luck with the iL06-1's, ended up buying 10 extras just to have on hand. Actually have all three, would agree about avoiding the Gen1 due to their lack of standards compliance. Had all of my V1 devices disappear at once, likely due to a V1 button that met its end at the hands of a strong EM field. From a "look-and-feel" perspective, I prefer the iL06-1's over the 3320-L's.

do these come with both parts for the sensors? images only show one side?

I just bought some magnets and 3m Command Strips.

Mine came with batteries. YMMV.

1 Like

I wondered about magnet use and alignment for the v3s without magnets being in the same boat. This is a video for Iris v2 contact sensor installation but likely still useful for the v3s. https://youtu.be/9xV_JC39l3I

I had all of my first gen iris contacts and motion sensors fall of the network one morning...had to reset and repair them all. Replaced them all with V2’s soon as I could!

2 Likes

I was wondering about the other side of the sensor. the pics just make it look like it's one side. and not the other side which comes in contact with the other.

As @ogiewon indicated, the "other side" is a magnet. You can use any magnet. That particular ebay seller doesn't provide the magnet with the contact sensor.

As an aside, contact sensors work by having a magnetic switch, called a reed switch, on the inside. When sensor is close to a magnet (any magnet), the switch is attracted by the magnet to be in the closed position. When the sensor is removed from the proximity of the magnet, the switch reverts to being in the open position.

1 Like

Oh I'm sorry! I thought the magnets were for securing against the door or something. My apologies!!

1 Like

No worries. BTW, magnets really are very cheap.

Do the magnets usually come in any kind of housing? or just normal off the shelf magnets?