Is it possible to use RM4 to control/report on my Genie Aladdin Garage (based on Postman success)?

@tomw - thankyou for writing the driver and helping with the instructions.

1 Like

Hey just wanted to say I got this up and running on my hub today. Thanks for your contribution, it works great!

1 Like

Thanks for putting this device driver together! Much better than what I was doing with my Genie. However, I am curious about some Current States that I am seeing. I am not overly concerned because it is working as I want it to but not sure if something isn't right:
That is on my door device. This is on my Aladdin Connect System:
I am unsure why the rssi would be different and why my battery is unknown (hopefully, the battery is still good).

I can't speak to your battery as my battery shows accurately.

There are two RSSI variables:

• Radio connection from controller to router (wifi)
  • Radio connection from door position sensor to controller (bluetooth)

The RSSI variable on your Aladdin Connect System should be the signal strength between your controller that's plugged into the opener, and your WiFi. Given that you can send commands via Hubitat and all else is working, this makes sense that it's displaying a value here.

The RSSI variable on your door device is the door position sensor. If the door position sensor can't communicate with the Aladdin Connect system controller, then the battery percentage can't be shown as it's unknown by the system.

To help debug: In the Aladdin connect app on your phone, does it show you the battery level of your door position sensor? If not, then the door sensor might not be communicating with the door controller properly, or the battery in the door sensor might need to be replaced.

1 Like

Oh goodness. That makes more sense. Well....I am not too familiar with the Aladdin Connect app, to be honest. I used it to set the door up some time ago and haven't used it since. However, I do not see where the door positions sensor would be in the app even. All I have is my vehicle door under My Doors and that is it. If I click on it, it gives door history, door rules, people with virtual keys, and setup (which just shows the ceiling mount, status [online], serial #, zip code, wifi network, and wifi signal [Strong]).

Oh wait, door position sensors is for multiple doors, correct?

Each door should have a small sensor, about half the size of a deck of cards, with a round Lithium battery inside. This is the tilt sensor that tells the Aladdin Connect System if the door is in the open or closed state (if the sensor is vertical, door is closed. If the sensor is horizontal, door is open).

On my Aladdin Connect app - right on the main page I see a battery icon next to my garage door. This is for the door position sensor. My battery icon shows as yellow because it's at 75% at the moment.

Oh....you know what.....I don't think we are talking about the same thing with this.....I have this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Genie-1-HPC-Ultra-Quiet-Belt-Drive-Smart-Garage-Door-Opener-with-Battery-Backup-and-Aladdin-Connect-Smart-Home-7155-TV/308708276

And I think this driver is for this?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Genie-Aladdin-Connect-Smart-Garage-Door-Controller-ALKT1-RB/313027350

If that is the case, the creator should be happy in knowing that the driver works with my type of model as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That's great news. I suppose that the unused attributes (for example, the battery level for what seems like a non-existent tilt sensor in your particular setup) are just reported as some default values, like "0" for battery level. Hopefully those aren't too confusing for someone with a slightly different setup. thanks for your help tracking it down, @craigspree

1 Like

Yeah, I thought that the battery would represent what the battery percentage of the battery backup would be on my model but that should always be 100% since it is always plugged in ready for a power outage. Didn't even think of a different model/setup with these things :slight_smile:

1 Like

How “fast” is this integration? Fast enough to use a pico as a car garage remote?

I heard from @craigspree that it might be a little bit laggy (presumably due to the cloud interaction), but maybe he could help quantify its responsiveness. How fast from button press to operation is fast enough, @frmWink2Hubitat?

2 Likes

Thx

Speed: it’s about 5-20 seconds on average from initiating the command to the open/close starting.

It is an awesome integration, but no where close to the speed of an RF remote.

Here’s how I use it:

1. Coming Home from a bike ride and asking Siri (via Apple Watch & Home Bridge) to open the garage when about a block away. I can then ride right into the garage. If I forget to use Siri, it’s faster to use the RF keypad on the door itself.
  2. Coming home from a car ride, same as bike - initiating the open a block away. If I forget, then I use my RF remote when pulling up.
  3. Siri initiated rule that closes the door and unlocks the door to the house after I pull in the garage.
  4. Rule that auto closes the door if it’s been open longer than an hour, with 3 warning notifications. Makes sure the door is closed if left open accidentally - but the alert notifications give me time to pause the rule if I’m just working in the garage and want the door left open.

Summary : not fast enough to replace the RF remote, but still very useful for me. The slow speed is entirely Genie cloud related - sometimes it’s almost instant and others it’s 20 seconds.

2 Likes

Thanks

@tomw Just discovered your Aladdin Connect drivers and got them up and running successfully in a flash. Thanks for writing these and sharing them with good documentation.

2 Likes

Thanks for this integration. Got it working well. Would you be able to easily add switch capability that follows the door status? I think switch capability is needed for me to add to Sharptools - maybe @josh can confirm but I suspect that’s the case.

1 Like

The device needs to have at least one capability from the authorization list. For garage doors, that's most commonly 'Contact Sensor', but as you alluded to 'Switch' and 'Pushable Button' are often seen too.

Alternatively, if the device at least implements the 'Actuator' or 'Sensor' capability, it can be authorized manually.

1 Like

Ah, right - that would be the better choice. Thanks!

Version 1.1.1 is up on GitHub and HPM. With capability "Actuator", @JustinL

2 Likes