Hubitat Package Manager v1.9.0 and Platform Release v2.3.6

As most of you have read, Hubitat's v2.3.6 has some UI improvements and as wonderful as those are, it's had an effect on HPM. If you look in Apps Code and find that you have multiple copies of the same code, you've run into the situation HPM v1.9.0 is able to solve.

in the weeds

*It comes as no news, I hope, that a large portion of what HPM does is "push the buttons" the same as you or I would do if we were manually maintaining Apps and Drivers. The Import feature, Bundles, and so on are how a lot of HPM works behind the scenes. *

In order to get a list of the Apps Code on your hub, HPM has been reading that page and 'interpreting" the content. When the format of that page changes, to even the smallest degree, HPM will not build a list correctly. The UI change in v2.3.6 does exactly that and HPM finds no Apps Code at all. As a result, it will install a new copy of the code, and another, and another.

The ideal way to prepare your hub for Platform Release 2.3.6 is to upgrade HPM right now to v1.9.0. If you find yourself with duplicate code in Apps Code, then there's a straightforward path to resolving it. Even upgrading HPM itself could create a duplicate and you'll see that HPM remains on an older version.

Fundamentally, resolve this by Import HPM directly. You must Import on top of your older copy of HPM and then clean up the duplicates.

Begin in Apps Code by deleting duplicate code. If the code is in use, it won't allow you to delete it, so delete all the copies allowed. Then open Hubitat Package Manager code and observe the lines at the top.. the version is in there and you can confirm it's not v1.9.0. Fix that by clicking Import, then paste this URL into the field:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HubitatCommunity/hubitatpackagemanager/main/apps/Package_Manager.groovy

Click Import, you'll see the code version update. Click Save and that should complete the upgrade.

Alternately, you may upgrade HPM via Bundle.

21 Likes

Good tip, and exactly what I had to do the other day.

Worked great, and only took a few seconds.

3 Likes

Updated to include v2.3.6 specific details.

5 Likes

this should be added to the update notes for the hub firmware.. as i was able to stop the update and apply package manager update first.

4 Likes

@gopher.ny - since HPM is such an important and heavily used community app, any chance to add a comment on this issue to the .134 release notes?

6 Likes

Yup, just posted.

10 Likes

All I need is an address, and the sourdough loaf will be on the way. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I went through my 4 hubs and followed this instruction but wanted to point something out that I experienced.

First, I checked my apps code and there were not any duplicates. My code was on HPM v1.8.3 on all 4 hubs. When I performed an update it didn’t detect anything new. I then went into my apps code and opened the HPM code and did an import and then save to v1.9.0. I reran the HPM app and ran update. This time it said HPM needed an update from 1.8.3 even though it showed the version running was v1.9.0. I ran the update and checked and no duplicate code. Guessing this is normal behavior?

3 Likes

How do I update Hubitat Package Manager? I tried to update through itself, but it's just stuck at "Downloading Hubitat Package Manager." I waited over 20 minutes and then tried again and it's still stuck in the same spot. I have 1 gigabit Internet connection, so it really can't take that long to download.

From the first post in this thread:

2 Likes

Nevermind. I tried to update again immediately after a reboot and it worked instantly. This is before doing the 2.3.6 platform update.

2 Likes

Taking that further....
as a GATEWAY to adopting the wealth of Community Apps maybe it's time HPM become a built in component of the HE environment.

Lest we digress Off Topic....just "LIKE" the post if you agree it's about time.

6 Likes

It's OK, of course to 'take a vote' but Hubitat has stated, more than once, that HPM isn't going to be moved to built in.

4 Likes

@csteele I'm a bit confused now.
First line of HPM code states v1.8.12 but further down the code it also shows v1.9.0?

How can this happen?

What's currently installed and do I need to import the code?

Thanks

That's a cosmetic typo that I missed in my edit. It was out there only a few hours and it's been corrected out on github. The code, the actual code, is identical. Leave it, Repair it, or Import, is up to you. :slight_smile:

Once I release a version, I immediately prepare for the next. I assumed the next version after 1.8.11 would be 1.8.12 and made that edit throughout. When I found the App Code List issue, I decided it was worthy of a bigger increment... but missed ONE of the places to edit. :frowning:

The code in my editor is showing 1.9.1 because that's my expectation of the size of the next improvement. :slight_smile: Time will tell if I'm accurately predicting the future :smiley:

9 Likes

I've got a Duplicate driver for my T6 TSTAT in HPM.

Looking at my drivers list, there is only one driver shown, and I think its the correct one.

In Device List, the "Advanced Honeywell T6 PRO Thermostat" is shown as the associated driver.

I can't delete either driver in HPM, in both cases, it fails saying the driver is in use.

Unmatch was my friend, here. Unmatched the duplicate driver, and repaired the original just to be safe. All good now.

2 Likes