(Don't) Kill the Button Controller, But do Warn People of its Limitations (e.g., cloning)

So I was working on my first button controller using the button controller app, then got frustrated when I couldn't clone it. Then, I see discussions regarding the use of Rule Machine for button controllers and the ability to program multiple controllers simultaneously!

So I wasted some time on the wrong (and inferior) app. I suggest either killing button controller or, if that causes problems, put an announcement on the button controller app telling people not to use the app for new programs, but use rule machine instead.

1 Like

:rofl: we just got it back and you want to kill it again!?

7 Likes

Yes! :triumph: Or at least put a warning on the front page of the app explaining that Rule Machine has extended functionality with ability to clone rules.

1 Like

It’s the same app. One is app inside rule machine. Maybe suggest that a method to clone button controller child apps could be added? :joy:

Honestly, it’s never come up before on the forum that I can recall. The requests were instead to have button controller as a separate app again, instead of only integrated into rule machine. Isn’t it nice you can choose now? :wink:

2 Likes

There are a number of requests for the cloning capability:

etc....

Right, but this was explained in each that button controller was integrated in RM4 and it could just be cloned that way.

In fact that first post is where Bruce first talked about the idea of removing button controller as a separate app, and he did.

Many, myself included missed having it as a separate app, and just wanted a quick way to configure button devices without the extra steps needed in RM4 to create a button device. So while it’s able to be cloned, it’s not as fast to create one from scratch.

So Bruce reintroduced it to the platform, but he did say that there would be no further development on the separate button controller app.

You can’t please all the people all the time. :grimacing:

6 Likes

While I don't have a need for cloning capability I certainly wouldn't object to it. However, the button app suits me just fine so I do object to removing it.

5 Likes

It’s different than the one in RM. it’s a bit simpler and slightly faster; at least I think I read that from one of Bruce’s posts. I know the choice of CT range isn’t as wide as in RM4.

1 Like

I am making use of the "Button Controller", so please don't get rid of it it works perfectly for my needs.

2 Likes

I am new to this, but I see the button controller app like the Notifier app and the Simple Automations app. Just a simpler way to do something rather than jumping full tilt into RM4.

1 Like

OK, OK, I yield! :white_flag:

However, it'd be nice to have some sort of information on it that would lead people to RM when they need cloning. I've tried to avoid RM when possible, as I understand that reduces load on the system, but this is one instance where I was wasting a lot of effort on the wrong app.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but most every app (simple automation, motion lighting etc) can be built in RM. Different ways to do things, same results. I guess if you followed your logic we should only have RM?

1 Like

All he's asking for (now) is a clear notification of its limitations. That seems entirely reasonable to me. It's clearly stated in the forums. It should also be clearly stated in the app itself. I support his request.

3 Likes

Noooo don't kill it

1 Like

Perhaps @bravenel can comment, but it is my impression that the built-in apps that offer "subsets" of Rule Machine's functionality are kept "simple" to be efficient. The danger of adding new capabilities, like the ability to clone an instance, is feature-creep that can ultimately compromise their efficiency.

4 Likes

I've given up on appicide 🪦 and now only want clear notification of its limitations.

How do you suggest? You now know that only RM can clone. Doesn't seem necessary to put a label in every app that says it's not able to be cloned.

I know because I went through the experience of learning that.

Unlike many other simple rules, it is very useful to clone button controllers since you're often dealing with sets of rules: thus all the requests that were on the discussion group. The decision was made to move button controller functionality to RM and use the cloning capability there.

I suggest some information somewhere that points this out. Currently, you have to search through the Community posts to figure this out or experience the issue on your own.

The ability to clone rules had nothing to do with the decision to move Button Controller into RM. It was moved because people wanted the more advanced actions possible with RM.

This is funny. We did kill it in favor of the more advanced version in Rule Machine. But, that caused a whole slew of problems for people who were looking for simpler functionality. So we brought it back.

The only app that supports cloning is Rule Machine. But, I agree that one circumstance where cloning is somewhat useful is for Button Controller functionality, as one can have a number of button devices that all are to be programmed the same way. So, obvious thing to do is to look into adding cloning to Button Controller.

1 Like

The feature to clone Button Contollers will be in the next release.

15 Likes