(Don't) Kill the Button Controller, But do Warn People of its Limitations (e.g., cloning)

Awesome! :clap:

Silly question, but are button rules processed more quickly in Button Controller vs RM if they are very simple? (i.e. set a particular light to a specific brightness/CT). I have all of my Picos that control lights set up this way in RM, if they can be faster in BC, then I'd transition (even though I wouldn't be able to clone)

Button Controller makes it a lot easier for new people to get up and running faster. Once they realize that RM is more "powerful" they can move to that if needed...and they're more familiar with the terminology.

I don't think there's much, if any, difference. Set up a test. Use Logs to see how long elapses for the two different approaches doing the exact same thing. Measure it several times each way. Let us know what you find.

@bravenel Will do ... I'll see if I can try a test.

Holly cow. Good job @rsjaffe! We will get it in the next release :scream: and here I thought "Ha! He's dreaming. Bruce is going to smack him silly" :joy:

2 Likes

Some more food for thought. Have you ever programmed a button then found out the real world work flow would have been better if you had put the functionality on a different button? No big deal for a few lines to be recreated under the new button but gets to be tedious when the line count increases. I'm not asking for the ability to change button triggers just pointing out an example where RM4 is better if you want the ability to move functionality around to different buttons.
I suppose I could encapsulate the functionality in RM4 and call the rule from the button controller. I suspect the RM call would add noticeable over head.

Would it be possible to increase the CT range as well? Unlike RM4, the Button Controller app still has the 2000K lower limit and for β€œnight mode” I like to set it a couple hundred K lower.

2 Likes

Yes, this can be in the next release.

2 Likes

This kind of response to customer queries is one of the many reasons Hubitat is the best. Thank you!

2 Likes

I have a question to go along with cloning. In RM you can select multiple button devices for the same button controller trigger. I some times use this instead of a clone if I know I want two devices to be exactly the same. (Future changes only need to be made once). Would this be something that could happen in buttton controller or is that something that needs to stay relegated to the advanced features or RM

I will look into this. What happened was that when Button Controller was retired, development work moved from that app to RM's incorporated version of it. Then, when Button Controller was brought back, it was not up to date with all of the changes that had been made in RM. Many of these are easy to add. As they get pointed out, I can go back and see about doing the update to Button Controller.

Edit: This too will be added in next release. Easy fix.

2 Likes

Thanks Bruce.

I know you might not be able to say and this might not be the best place to ask, does next release imply next firmware release or next time a release is done for Button controler.

1 Like

Next platform release will include these changes to Button Controller.

5 Likes