Clone a button controller?

After playing with conditional statements and button controllers today I'm finding the logical design of Hubitat to be very well done. It is clear the guys behind this have written some code and organized some logic a few times before :wink:

Now that I have a rather detailed button controller set up, I would like to copy the setup to several other remotes for the room and to do so for several other rooms. In total I need to clone 3 remotes to around 20 remotes (all Lutron Picos, the integration of which is fantastic), but to do 20 complex button controllers individually would require hours to program in the GUI.

Is there a way to clone a previously set up button controller, then change which device it is associated with? This would save tons of time making remotes for rooms.

Cheers

1 Like

In the Button Controller app, that isn't possible. I would recommend you look at RM and the Button Controller trigger device type. That sets up one rule per button device and you can duplicate those rules within rule machine.

Put in the effort once to use Rule Machine 4.0 for this. When you select Button Device as the Event Trigger, it will bring up the same UI you just used in Button Controller. Then, you'll be able to clone that.

Actually, this is one rule per button, and has the identical functionality as Button Controller -- just more actions available. Button Controller really could be retired.

Great, thanks for the pointer. I'll give it a shot. Perhaps I was unnecessarily distracted by using the Button controller which I had read somewhere was the way to set up buttons.

Cheers

Yeah. Button Controller was incorporated into Rule 4.0 in toto, plus additional capability. Thus making the standalone version sort of obsolete. But, we're behind on making that clear.

2 Likes

Is there a reason that RM button controller could not also replace the Lutron button integrator app too?

I get it that there is always stuff to fix/improve/modify, moving target, etc. At least the version in users' hands is remarkably stable. Thanks for that.

Probably so. Haven’t looked at that in quite some time.

1 Like

I meant one app. Lay off Bruce.

Which app, or are you describing per button ?

Either Button Controller 3.0 or Rule 4.0 using Button Device trigger.

Thanks. I've got 8 copies of one Pico remote I set up around the Master working all kinds of cool logic. I think you guys have a great product now that I understand it. But I do wish I could get CLI access for faster programming :wink:

1 Like

I recently discovered this seemed to be the case, but I wasn't sure. Also, didn't even see the pretty little dog in there...

Thanks for clarifying!