Button Controllers & Rule Machine: configure multiple remotes identically

I'd love to be able to configure multiple Pico remotes in a single Rule or Button Controller. Right now, it's only possible to select a single device. I have 3 remotes with the same actions in my SmartThings and WebCore setup, and it's a pain to have to duplicate the configuration 3 times in Hubitat.

This is the main reason I'm using WebCore on Hubitat.

Already mentioned in Button Controllers feature requests.

Thanks!

Are you aware that you can just clone the rule and switch out the device in the trigger? (I know, you still need three separate rules, but you only have to create the actual configuration once.)

RM 4.0 has button control built in. I'm shooting from the hip here, but have you investigated it? I dumped button controller and configure straight in RM 4.0 works great. And I THINK you can choose more than one button. Just sayin'

You cannot--they are radio buttons, not checkboxes:

To a certain extent, this makes sense. I have a custom app where I thought about allowing multiple button devices to be selected, but it gets tricky since they might implement different capabilities (pushed, held, and/or released) and have different numbers of buttons, and there's little the app can do to help the user make the right decision.

But you can clone an RM 4.0 rule, including one with the "Button Device" trigger. Choosing the "Button Device" as the trigger capability brings up the Button Controller 3.0 interface and gives you everything you could do there, plus more (conditionals, variables, and other things only allowed in RM). It's definitely the route I'd take.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, copying and changing the buttons works, but if I make changes it becomes tedious.

I did try RM4.0 previously, but I guess I didn't try hard enough (I think I was expecting to select multiple devices vs using ORs). It does seem possible after all.

After trying to duplicate my WebCore pistons in RM4, I think I'm going to stick with WebCore. The WebCore editing interface is faster for me.

If you want to make separate rules for each button event (e.g., button 2 pushed, button 3 held, etc.) instead of separate rules for each button device, using "Button" instead of "Button Device" as the trigger capability will work--that's what you did above. (Like any trigger, you can OR them together. Or rather they are ORed together for you if you choose multiple triggers since that's just how they work. The "Button Device" trigger is a bit special and pre-empts most of the RM UI.)

Probably harder to set up initially if you have lots of button numbers, but definitely easier to maintain after the fact if you want to change the actions and make it the same for all devices.

2 Likes

I can't think of any reason this would be a problem. I will look into allowing multiple button devices to be setup identically.

This will be in the next release. Note: It assumes that all of the selected button devices have the configuration of the first one selected.

2 Likes

In a custom app I was writing, I ran into the issue of how to enumerate button numbers and pushed/held/released event actions (a la Button Controller)--quite easy when you have one device, but tricky if you have more and they aren't the same. I thought about iterating through all the selected button devices to find the ones with the most buttons and putting the supported capabilities (PushableButton, HoldableButton, and/or DoubleTapableButton) for each into a Set or something in order to display the maximum combination of possibilities, with the user needing to understand that they could put themself into the situation of being able to create actions that might never happen on (at least) a specific device.

EDIT: I see you may have found a different method, using the first device as a "proxy" for the configuration of all. Also works!

This has to do with the capabilities of the button devices, namely, support for Held, Released and Double Tapped, and for the number of buttons available on the device. I think it's obvious that if you have a 5 button device and a 4 button device both setup with one rule, you can't really press button 5 on the second device. Likewise with Held, et al, if the device doesn't support the action, then it can't happen. Suppose the first selected device doesn't have Double Tapped, and another selected one does -- RM is not going to give you an opportunity to define Double Tapped in that rule. I think all of that makes sense.

I have this working for 'Button device', namely the multi button feature. Looking into whether it can work for a single 'Button' type of trigger as well.

Update: the single 'Button' trigger is easy also to allow.

All of this will be in the next release. A minor tweak to allow multiple button devices to be programmed with a single rule, as per the OP's desire.

1 Like

This would be nice. I have two hallways that each have multiple (3 or 4) Picos. I want all of these Pico in a hallway or entryway to act the same. Up until now I have kept them in the Lutron app, tied directly to the switches, so I didn't have to program them multiple times in Hubitat.

This will be a great change if you can make it happen.