Devices "migrated" but none work: C5 to C8-Pro

Check your email.

@bobbyD Thanks, new device arrived while I was travelling. I will connect it today or tomorrow. A bit under the weather with Conference Crud currently.

Well, this is a bummer. Same state with the replacement.
One other interesting detail - the cloud restore never shows complete in the UI. It does restore the devices, but even 30 minutes after starting the restore, it says "Cloud restore takes a few minutes. Hub will restart once restore is completed."

All the devices are present, just the radio doesn't appear to transmit. In the Dashboard, if I click on a device, it gets an hourglass or active verb (e.g. "closing") and stays there.

So... some questions...

1. How long maximum should the Cloud Restore take? What could be blocking it?
  2. Is there a next step, or should I simply return the two C8 Pro hubs for refund?
  3. Why doesn't anyone actually care? I would think the inability to migrate, when it's an advertised feature, would be important. But I haven't had any engagement from engineering on this.

@bobbyD Is anyone on the technical side able to try restoring those cloud backups? It might be informative.

It should not take more than 5 min. Looks like yours actually took 3 minutes.

Ability to migrate is very important, however, if the problems exist on the old hub there isn't much we can do to clean up the existing issues. In that case manual migration might be required.

Looks like you've performed the migration before updating the new hub to the latest firmware. You started at platform version 2.3.8.119. The latest public version is 2.3.8.139. Since the .119 update, there have been several fixes to address hanging backup and restore process.

I would say, try to migrate again, now that you're running the latest version, to see if your experience is any different. Be sure to follow the instructions in this document, if you do run the process again : How to Migrate to a New Hub | Hubitat Documentation

Just note that migration was successfully completed, so the only thing that you may gain from running the process again, is a better user experience. If devices aren't working, you are back to what I previously mentioned [here]...

The cloud backup is a replica of your old hub. Restoring the backup on any hubs would gain the same result. Even more, restoring the backup to a remote hub would not help your case because connection to your devices would not be possible to be established.

Thanks, @bobbyD

I updated firmware and did it again. An hour later the U.I. still says " Cloud restore takes a few minutes. Hub will restart once restore is completed. Restoring backup, please wait.."

How are you seeing it took three minutes? That's good news, but why is the U.I. not updating?

On the migration steps, I didn't get (with the previous or this replacement hub) the question: " Migrating from another hub?"
I did the restore from the Settings - Backup and Restore menu. Does that make a difference? Am I supposed to see a "Migrating from another hub" question?

If devices aren't working, you are back to what I previously mentioned [here]...

Which was that my case is "harder to crack." Is anyone going to be looking at it, and is there anything I can do to help?

We already did, and there is nothing we can do to correct it remotely. The combination of your mesh state and/or mix of devices is causing the Z-Wave network problems. Unfortunately, unless we dispatch a technician on site to evaluate your mesh network, which we don't offer, there isn't anything we can do. How many Z-Wave devices do you have? At this point I would consider manually moving them to the new hub to ensure that future migrations go smoothly.

1 Like

I have 22 Z-Wave devices, but the problem's deeper than that...
I cannot add new Z-Wave devices either. Whatever is broken in my configuration is preventing pairing devices also. I've tried with three different devices; can't "Add" any by discovery.

How is new hub being powered? PoE splitters can cause z-wave issues.

Short of that, I would do a full reset on the new hub (assuming you have not added subscriptions to it yet). Then on a clean hub try including something.

If that works, you could then reset again and try the migration but UNCHECK Z-wave migration. The "device" entries for the automations will carry over but the z-wave details will be clean. Whatever is jamming up the radio is probably coming over in the z-wave radio migration.

Once that is done, you will need some special instructions to properly move all your automations from the old device entries to new ones, which includes some steps before you start including z-wave devices again. I can type up the instructions if you would like to do that.

1 Like

Can you pleas post your z-wave details screen in it's entirety? (use windows snip). Are you using a POE splitter?

Thanks. I am not using PoE; I'm using the USB power supply provided with the hub.

Did you try removing that ghost node after migration? Node 0X19
It should be removable with a Refresh > Remove.

I have not known where one single ghost would break the entire z-wave network though, but who knows.

Thanks. Power is via the USB hub that came with the C8 Pro. I can try a more powerful one if that might be the issue.

Manually moving all sounds like a lot of work; good thing a largely-empty weekend is coming up!
Will I have to exclude the devices from the current hub to do that?

I'll zorch the hub and see if it allows inclusions then.

You could exclude them with any hub, or just factory reset them.

Might want to also try my suggestion above, we were posting at the same time. Maybe if that one ghost is gone it will just start working :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

You have 3 ghosts.... Those need to go. Likely they're preventing you from adding a new device.

That doesn't work. Refresh on 0x19 gives "[warn]Z-Wave Network responded with Busy message." in the logs, every time, but no on-screen messages. Refresh just comes back, no "Remove" button.

I would believe that device is the issue, but Hubitat can't seem to kill it.

Update
Oh, I didn't grok how bad it is... every "Refresh" gives that error. Same problem I had last week. Whatever is wrong with my config is causing the radio to not free up. I'm guessing a crash isn't freeing a handle to it in the code.

What are the other ghosts? The remote controllers above it are tiny little blinds-controllers; they work on the C5.

Quick Run Down of migration without z-wave radio.

• Start with a clean hub.
  • Restore from cloud backup - UNCHECK Z-Wave
  • Look for all the zwave devices in device list (will have 2 char HEX DNI)
  • Edit the DNI for all of them appending _OLD to the end (this will avoid conflicts with new devices)
  • Add OLD to the names of all of them as well
  • May want to do a backup at this point in case you need to start over for any reason
  • Include new devices (can do one at a time and swap or include all first)
  • May need to apply custom drivers to new devices
  • Use Settings > Swap Apps to move the apps from OLD device to new device (this wont work on multichannel devices with child devices unfortunately, you will have to move by hand in each app).
  • Verify everything moved over correctly
  • Delete the OLD device

I only see one for sure ghost. The others are attached to devices, only have one neighbor and no route, so they sort of look like a ghost but are possibly just offline. If they are offline it might help to power them up. If they are already online, sometimes devices will never pick up neighbors and still work just fine, just might be oddball devices.

If you have a USB Z-wave stick and a windows PC, you could use that to remove it from the C5 first, then do a new migration. How To: Remove Ghosts using hub tools or a UZB Stick

No UZB Stick. Those are coin-cell powered, so they don't really communicate much.

1 Like