Devices "migrated" but none work: C5 to C8-Pro

Followed the Migration Doc to go from my C5 to new C8-Pro. Both fully upgraded, presumably 2.3.8.134. I did ensure both were fully updated for both firmware and ZWave. Backed up the C5 to cloud, shut it down, unplugged it, turned C8 Pro on, did Migrate from Cloud including radios. All devices appear listed, but none work. The hub can see the devices - they're all listed and Live Log notices when I press hard buttons. But commands are ignored, scenes are ignored. It's as if the radio can listen but not broadcast.

Upon nothing working, I did run Z-Wave repair. It took a while and enumerated a bunch of nodes, but still nothing works. I did a "Refresh" of one of the devices; it took a bit but made no difference and nothing appeared about the refresh in the Device Log.

Attempting a Z-Wave Repair of it (single device rather than all) resulted in:

Z-Wave Repair
Stage: Idle
Finished Z-Wave Network Repair
Failed Nodes: 1B

So repair failed, but it didn't tell me why. (This device is within 20 feet of the hub; it's not a signal issue.)

I only have one Zigbee device and I haven't checked it.

There doesn't seem to be any troubleshooting documentation for this, which is pretty annoying. I'm not using Sharp nor ActionTiles; mostly just several versions of Rules Machine.

I really don't want to have to re-pair all these devices and rebuild the activities.

After two hours of trouble-shooting, with no devices working, I figured I have nothing to lose by shutting the C8 Pro down and connecting the C5. I didn't expect this to work because I figured the radio would have migrated, but the C5 seems still functional.

On the bright side, I have, as far as I can tell, my starting functionality. On the dark side, I've wasted two hours and have a seemingly useless C8 Pro.

What's next? Why is the C8 Pro radio able to monitor events but not create them?

Tagging @support_team from Hubitat. Hopefully one of them can look at your hub to see if anything is going on.

One quick question for you... How are you powering the C8-Pro hub? Are you using the power supply and USB cable that came with the C8-Pro? If not, please do so and let us know if that resolves the issue. Many users have had issues using inexpensive PoE Splitters to power the C8 and C8-Pro hubs. Power fluctuates too much causing the Z-Wave radio to have problems. Just one hypothesis as to what might be going on.

Yes, using the supplied cable and USB charger.

1 Like

While you wait for support, I would do a power pull reboot:

• Shut the hub down.
  • Disconnect power cord.
  • Close any browser windows that are open to the hub.
  • Wait 30 or more seconds.
  • Reconnect power cord.
1 Like

@support_team tap tap is this thing on?

My migration from C5 to C8 pro was very similar. For me it finally worked on the fourth attempt. No idea why.

Did you try this on C8 as suggested at some point?

If that did not work, you might just want to try restoring the migration backup again. I think you could just attempt to load it from the normal backup UI. If not you might have to go to the diagnostic tool and do a z-wave radio and soft reset to start the hub over fresh.

1 Like

Still not working. The story so far:

• Yes I am using the power supply that came with the hub.
  • I did the cloud backup and shutdown of C5, unplugged both cables (power and ethernet)
  • Plugged in C8Pro (correct power, ethernet), migration-cloud restore.
  • All correct devices appeared. But they don't respond.
  • The live-log can see them do things, but the hub doesn't seem to broadcast Z-Wave at all. It can view the Z-Wave mesh, which looks very good and alive, but all "repair" attempts fail.
  • Restarted C8Pro (but did not leave off for extended time), no change.
  • Restored cloud backup again. No change. None. Hub can see activity, cannot create activity, but otherwise looks right.
  • Gave up, replaced with C5, which does work for ZWave. Zigbee is not working on C5.
  • Wrote message on this board.
  • Time passes...
  • Per suggestions, shutdown/remove C5, plug C8P back in. The C8P had been off for 36+ hours at this point.
  • No change. Seriously. No change.
  • Restore (Migrate) again. No change. Still no change.
  • ... this is frustrating ...
  • Per last message above, tried a "Soft Reset". Which requires I copy the MAC address from a different page. Restored the C5 Cloud Backup with both radios... for the fifth or so time.
    • Possibly related... when you start the restore, you get a pop-up: "Cloud restore takes a few minutes. Hub will restart once restore is completed." ... The hub does do the restore, clearly, but the banner never clears. I left it for 30 minutes, way beyond "a few minutes". But the hub was alive with the restored data and ability to see the Z-Wave mesh.
  • Still no dice. Attempting to control Z-Wave can create events but not log entries, but it can read (populate log entries) from physical button presses.

I get that migration worked for some people. From the message boards here, it clearly doesn't work for all. I've done four restores, several swaps. Seriously, what's next?

@support-agent @support_team See above. Also, I have attemped a fresh Cloud Backup from the C5... which has hidden or erased the previous one.
This is not good, because the first backup did have the correct Zigbee data, which did migrate to the C8Pro... and now that is gone.

Maybe tray swapping the two antennas? This would just be a test to make sure the one you used for Z-wave is not defective. It has happened before and swapping them cleared up the issues. Not sure why it would make just outbound not work but just taking a wild guess.

Not sure why Zigbee stopped working on the C5? It should not have changed anything, the migration does not break anything from the old hub. Maybe just the channel changed when you went to the C8 so the devices need to find the C5 again?

You can also submit a warranty claim here: Warranty – Hubitat Support

Or send a PM to @support_team

Update:

Noticed 2.3.8.138 was released in the last 20 hours. (I've been at this for three days.)
Put C5 back, updated from 2.3.8.134 to .138.
Verified zwave still works.
Re-did Z-Wave Repair, verified C5 ZWave still works, and full back up.

Updated C8 Pro (it too was on 2.3.8.134)
After reboot, Restore previous Cloud Backup.
NOTICED the first backup, from two days ago, IS GONE!
Which means, I cannot restore the Zigbee radio, since that too is gone. If I do a Reset now, I'll lose Zigbee.
Started restore at 8:37am, At 9:30am, still on the restore screen. Refreshed.

Checked the logs to see if there's any reason the screen doesn't change. Found this:

dev:1632024-04-09 08:40:55.660errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot execute null+1 on line 146 (method initialize)

dev:1932024-04-09 08:40:52.628errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot execute null+1 on line 146 (method initialize)

dev:1932024-04-09 08:40:49.062debuginitialize...

dev:1632024-04-09 08:40:49.060debuginitialize...

dev:1932024-04-09 08:36:14.323errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot execute null+1 on line 146 (method initialize)

dev:1632024-04-09 08:36:11.297errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot execute null+1 on line 146 (method initialize)

dev:1632024-04-09 08:36:07.862debuginitialize...

dev:1932024-04-09 08:36:07.862debuginitialize...

So something is failing to initialize. Z-Wave is still not working.

Since there is apparently zero support, I have filed a warranty request. I haven't heard from any actual support people.

The community forums is for community support. Staff does frequent the forums as well but not guaranteed. The warranty request or sending a PM is the proper way to get direct support especially if hardware malfunction is suspected.

Yup, you only get one migration backup at a time

Not sure how your zigbee got wiped on the C5? That's not part of the migration process, it should have still been in tact.

Would need to know what those devices are and what driver they are using to have any further clues. If you are back on the C5 now, the dev # should match on there compared to the C8 restored from backup. Enable "Show Device IDs" in the device list settings to see them.

Thanks. They aren't responding to tagging, nor so far to a PM. Also haven't heard on the Warranty request, but that's only been a few hours.

The support link takes one to this channel. "Warranty" seemed extreme initially (although clearly, now, overdue) and the documentation never mentions PM. It literally states, as the only support channel,

The official Hubitat forums at https://community.hubitat.com are a great resource to get ideas or help from fellow users (and Hubitat staff!).
Questions or feedback on the documentation are also welcome on the forum.

I am looking into your hub's engineering log. We will reply to your message once I have a better picture of what is going on.

You've definitely tried all of the normal troubleshooting steps. Hopefully he will chime in soon.

Once more question for you - what country do you live in? Does your C-5 Hub have an external USB Z-Wave radio by any chance? If so, not all external Z-Wave radios can be automatically migrated to a new hub.

I'm in the U.S. My C5 is using just the internal radios.

Quick update. The migration was successful and both Z-Wave and Zigbee radios are functional. Some Z-Wave devices as well as Zigbee devices are working. Unfortunately, the migration brings over the good and the bad from the old hub and looks like you had migrated several devices with problems, which is consistent with the Z-Wave repair failures. The new hub will require network maintenance in order to gain full functionality of the radios.

4 Likes

So what does that mean? None of the Z-Wave devices are working, as far as I can tell. They did work previously - and do work with the C5.

How do I do "network maintenance" beyond the Z-Wave Repair?

With that being said, if you want to post screenshots of your Z-Wave details page (from the C8) I can assist further if you want to see if we can get it working.

Also keep in mind that the migration purposefully does NOT carry over the device routing info so that the new hub can rebuild it all using the updated chipset and radio. So there can be some initial pain as the mesh is rebuilt.

1 Like

On the bright side, we're ahead of game in causing that "initial pain."