[2.2.4.xxx] Help understanding "Z-Wave Topology" map

I'm looking at my map and see:

• vertical and horizontal "axes" are the device DNI numbers in hex.
  • Blue means the two devices (X and Y) can communicate with each other.
  • Red means no communication
  • The White diagonal "stripe" is obviously to blank out where a single DNI "meet".

So

• Now how does one determine what devices can talk to the Hub?
  • I would have thought the patterns on either side of the white would be identical but they are not always. Is this significant?

I'm assuming that if I knew what devices in the map are communicating with the Hub I should be able to find blue paths from any device to the hub by connecting through other devices that repeat.

BTW the map can be cut and pasted into Excel. Could allow more analysis or simply archive the map. Not sure why but I figured I'd mention it.

1 Like

There's multiple ways to use the Topology map, none of them intuitive. :slight_smile:

First, the horizontal is from a devices' viewpoint and the vertical is from the opposite direction. In other words, Node 6 might be able to see Node 1 but Node 1 cannot see Node 6. ie. Non-symmetricalities exist.

Another way to look at the map is purely political.. How many seats did Republicans win vs Democrats? Ok, so THAT joke fails instantly when it is revealed that the more blue (connectivity) exists, the healthier the Mesh. In other words, if you compare your Map to mine, the one with a higher percentage of Blue has the healthier mesh. And if it turns out I lose, then my task is to increase blue via repeaters or repositioning of existing repeaters.

Yet another way to review it is to confirm that there are at least two different paths possible between Node 1 and Node X, thus giving the potential to have a path, even as furniture gets moved around in the house.

9 Likes

Thanks for the explanation :slight_smile:

Looking at the matrix some more it looks like the hub is DNI 1. Do you know if this is the case?

1 Like

The C-7 Hub consumes Nodes 1-5, which is why 2-5 never show on the map, yet would for the same map using PC Controller.

1 Like

So I'm just starting to use my C7 after the last update. It seems my Iris plug won't talk to the hub, at least not directly, only through my ring extender. All devices are in the same room not even 10ft from each other. Or am I reading it wrong?
Was going to make a political joke about the blue stealing from the red, but....

2 Likes

Correct. The second repeater is not listing the hub as a neighbor, so will not communicate to it directly.

2 Likes

Thanks, do you know if this is normal? I expected, with them all in the same room, they should all connect and for reliability establish an many paths as possible to the coordinator

Sure.

Radios waves do funny things. Couple that with different vendors writing their implementations against a half documented SDK and you can get any manner of results.

Could try moving the repeater to a different outlet and see if the results change. Could also run a repair on it, if you haven't done so in a while.

Where does one find this magical zwave topology map ? Is this strictly a C7 option? Is it available on a C4/5 with the latest prod firmware?

C7 only.

The data isn't readily available to hubitat to do on the C4 and below, and likely way too much work to do on C5 (if possible at all).

Just assume moving forward that all new zwave features (other than driver changes) are C7 only.

1 Like

I am still very confused about the map. I added two light switches to the C7 hub. The Z-Wave Radio devices table shows route 01 -> 07 40kbps. But the the Z-Wave topology shows 01 and 07 are not neighbors?

20210116 z-wave 2

@Rxich and @steve18, you might benefit from installing Tony Fleisher’s (@tony.fleisher’s) Z-Wave Mesh Details app. It can be installed using Hubitat Package Manager, and makes it easy to see what is happens with repeaters, neighbors, and more.

6 Likes

@672southmain, thanks for the pointer. I will give it a try.

The C5 owners should not feel intentionally slighted or ignored. The fact is new features are likely to be possible due to the 700 series Z-Wave device.

2 Likes

Yup. Different SDK, different ZAF, different radio, different chipset... About as different as could be other than both being zwave.

That is why it isn't a simple matter to just "backport it to the C5". It is basically re-writing the new stuff from scratch.

2 Likes

JasonJoel,

I really wasn't directing the response to you, I just wanted the C5 & C4 folks to understand Hubitat was not abandoning them.

1 Like

I know - sorry if I made it less clear instead of more clear. I thought your post was a good idea, so I was trying to add some more color as to why that's the case.

Sorry about that!!!

2 Likes

Thank you sir. I have the app and it seems to provide the same info I get from the z-wave details page of my c7 hub.
Does the app with on the c4?

No, doesn’t work on C-4; neither does topology map.

1 Like

No need all is good. I only replied before because I felt funny "replying" to when I really wanted others to understand the reality but needed to reference your post.

1 Like