Z wave topology

Looking at the z wave topology screen. Read all the comments and help notes I can find . Still means nothing to me. Added a screen shot of my topology. Maybe some could explain it to me in plain English .

2 Likes

too much red

Simple really :smiley:

Blue indicates devices that can talk to each other.. more blue = healthier mesh. Real word you will never get 100% but look at rows with 9... that device has no blue, horizontally or vertically. It's an 'orphan' in that sense. (not the same orphan we talk about during the Join process. Same word, different context based meaning.)

Look at 0B on the Left... it says it can talk to node1 (the Hub) but the hub along the top has no Blue under the 0B.. Hub can't talk to it. So the hub must use a hop. Not a problem, 06 is available as is 0C.

Sometimes we wonder why the routing shown in Zwave Details 'doesn't make sense' and sometimes this topology map provides the clue.

Does that help? Did I make it worse?

6 Likes

So node 01 is the hub. Why are there 2 of everything horizontal and vertical and what is the significance of the white diagonal line ?

1 Like

One is what the device sees, the other is what sees the device, white line is the intersection of the device with itself.

2 Likes

Do you know which is which ?

1 Like

So the idea is to have a matrix that is entirely blue.

i am having a problem with the topology map.. none of the battery operated remotes appear to show up in the map (all red) all my minimotes and remotec work fine.. but even immediately after using have all red in the topology map?

I am having the same problem node 9 which is working according to the matrix it can't talk to the hub and the hub can't talk to it. The node I am having problems with is node 0C which according to the matrix it's fine.

Only repeaters will show was having blue connections, i.e. battery devices always show as red when viewed from another device.

not true all my battery temp and contact sensors have blue. as well as ecolink motion , water etc.

for reference 1b ,1d ,1e and 1f are all battery devices.

ie

i believe your are correct in general but if anytime in the last day or two (not sure of the time) the battery device was using another device to repeat through it will show blue in the chart and that is what we are seeing. Which makes sense because the system knows that the two nodes can reach each other as repeating was happening through it/them.

I am not sure the above is accurate also. device 1f the ecolink 2.5 motion sensor, and hardly ever changes routes. In zwave info shows only 1 route change so not sure why so much is blue.. weird. Unless route change history goes back forever even beyond hub reboots? Possibly it it does route through an extender than by symetric closure picks up the other devices the extender reaches automatically. Wish more was written about how this and the above info is collected and works?

2 Likes

what i am talking about it totally red.. ie these are battery remotes
they should at least show connection to the hub especially after use..

ie

and work fine. but still red in both directions

I have a repeater ordered so hopefully that will help. Unless you can suggest some else I could try.

Thanks for the input makes a bit more sense now.

recommend either the aeotec ver 7 or the ring ver 3.

aeotec ver 7 ordered

Thanks

also recommend this non stock device handler for it that allows select power and range tests between the extender and individual devices..
I dont believe the stock handler supports that

hubitat/drivers/aeotec-re7 at master · dennypage/hubitat · GitHub

Since we are playing “if you show me yours, I’ll show you mine”... :grinning:

There are no known Z-Wave issues but I would like an educated set of eyes to see if any improvements can be made.

Both are excellent, but it’s Ring Alarm Extender Gen 2 - don’t believe there is a Gen 3 yet.

1 Like

I was just reading and thinking what- there’s a gen 3 ?!? Then I read further. Lol.

I had three ring S2 and added two more to see if I could help with the back side of my house. They are now neighbours to everything but used by nothing!

ok - I'm an idiot. i still don't understand what this actually shows.
Sure "more blue - better", but that doesn't tell me what this actually means.

For example 0B and 06 in this diagram.
Do they talk to each other? how can you tell?
the intersection of 0B and 06 is red - Why?

0B on the left can talk to the node, but no the top? wtf does that mean. lol
If the # of blocks between the center line (hub) and end point on the x/y axis mean anything?

I mesh is many to many relationships - I've no idea how that is represented in a flat 2 dimensional array that make sense?