Zwave pairing 2.0.8

Yes, that's the only exception.

I did a repair a couple of times, but nothing would pair past a certain distance, Didnt matter if it was a lock or a wall switch. It seems that the pairing was not working via the mesh. I had similar issues with the Iris system in the past. They had a battery in the hub, and even recommended taking the hub close to the item, which is where I got the idea. The Iris hub would beep when it discovered something, and then you had to connect it back to the network before it would show up in the app. Another trick with the locks was to remove the wireless module and stick it in an older lock chassis I have which had mechanical issues, and then I could move that close to the hub. Iā€™m not about to do that with the in-wall switches, though.

Interesting, I suppose you rebooted the hub when trying to move it close to the devices, because you must disconnect it to connect it somewhere else. Correct?

Yes, I did have to disconnect power initially. Interestingly, I recall having to reset the Iris box to get it to pair Z-wave devices sometimes. Maybe a buggy Z-wave chip? These things have always had range issues, probably made worse by rebar in the concrete floor between my 2 floors, and wire mesh in the stucco on our house. Once I bit the bullet and started putting them in everywhere, though, they work fairly well, I assume because the density is high enough to overcome the range issues.

UPDATE: I believe it's only the exclusion that is severely limited in range. I was able to install and pair several new (never before paired) Jasco switches with no problem. It was only the older switches I had that had a problem. I ended up buying one of these which has an exclude feature, and this eliminates the need to walk around with the hub attached to a battery: Z-Wave | GE Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control LCD Remote I used that to exclude a couple of smart outlets I have out in the garage but had not yet re-paired with Hubitat, and then I was able to pair them in place with no issue.

Beats me? I excluded a few outdoor outlet from 50ft and 5 walls away on Monday. Worked fine.

I came across this "exclusion" issue (even lost my zwave radio at one point) also when encountering the numerous stated all over the forum problems pairing zwave locks.......what seemed to help this exclusion working (for me anyways) was to perform a "hub shutdown" (not reboot) and wait for the light to turn red and unplug the power cable for 30 seconds power cycling the hub, then upon rebooting "exclusion" always worked (again referring to regarding the locks, but there are many other issues here), but it did work after power cycle where it wouldn't prior to one.

If you're excluding something that's already paired to the same hub that you're using to do the exclude, it may route. I'm excluding devices that were previously paired to the Iris hub, which is now a brick (unless maybe those Arcus enthusiasts resurrect it).

We've identified a bug in the new discovery process that will be fixed in 2.0.9.

We recommend that if you have started a Z-Wave pairing process, in most cases it stops after pairing of one device. However, in certain circumstances it stays in pairing mode and never exits.

This can be stopped manually by clicking the stop button under the timer in the discovery screen. Or a reboot of your hub will stop it as well.

So to reiterate, if you are pairing Z-Wave devices, it is recommended until 2.0.9 is out (soon) to manually click the stop button after starting pairing one more time after a device has been paired or if you are experiencing problems.

Thanks for the alert. Guess I'm lucky. I've included and excluded multiple devices on 2.0.8 with no issues.

Including excluding multiple devices that were not paired with the HE originally.

Ok, it's over 30 days later and two version upgrades later.....my hub runs fine but can not pair any zwave devices ever since the 2.0.8 upgrade when the discovery ui updated. I've tried multiple browsers and device types....the clock countdown ticks down from 60 to zero and nothing shows even in the logs. I have a ton of existing zwave devices that work fine. Responsive. Daily operation good. Just, discovery no longer works at all.

Shutting down, resetting power, or rebooting doesn't help.

Also, hub says it's unreachable in the New status icon...no idea what that means. It's behind NAT firewall with the same config it's always had. The new mobile app also connects to it just fine.

1 Like

Very weird. I actually needed to move 5 zwave devices from one hub to another yesterday. I was able to exclude them all successfully from Hub 1, and pair them to Hub 2 with no issues.

All on 2.1.0.123.

I know that doesn't help you. So I would definitely contact support, because it isn't happening to everyone.

Its definitely happening to me... See my thread... So far, no real response from the gurus...

I'd be happy to get to the initializing stage :wink: and, slow initializing has always been something that happens...usually solved by retrying a few times... I've now spent 1hr every few weeks testing to see if discovery bugs in New firmware fixed...

Moving my 8 SRT321 Z-Wave Thermostats off ST onto HE. First 3 excluded and paired up just fine and are working as expected. Next 2 had a lot of difficulty pairing, many exclude/pairing attempts with some hub reboots now and then. Got them paired eventually, but now they are not communicating with the hub. I move on to the next thermostat, excludes fine - but will not pair, no matter what I do. I thing there has been a progression here... somethings broke. @patrick What do you think?

Currently running version: 2.1.0.123 HE finds the devices without much difficulty and confirms it in the log, the device thinks it has paired successfully. HE remains "initializing".

Is there any way I can manually create the device based on the Z-Wave ID that HE has assigned to the device?

I've noticed that the 3 devices that paired and work all have something like the following in their device details, under "Data":

• deviceType: 1
  • inClusters: 0x72,0x86,0x80,0x84,0x31,0x43,0x85,0x70
  • outClusters: 0x40,0x25
  • deviceId: 3
  • manufacturer: 89

However, the devices that have paired and do not communicate have nothing at all listed under Device Details "Data"

One thing to try is to shutdown the hub and and then powering it back on as opposed to a reboot. It has helped some folks with issues. I have the HE hub connected to a WiFi plug so after it shuts down I can cycle the plug and re-power the hub.

It seems like the developers know there are some issues with pairing... @patrick indicated there will be changes in the next firmware version.

I am at the same place with a device that will absolutely not finish the initializing part... Been trying for days...

patrickStaff

14h

Disabling apps (X in top right in table / list view) shouldn't require re-setting up of things...

The next version will have a few improvements to make sure initializing Z-Wave devices complete.

For now, try to get it to pair as close to when you start the timer. Waiting till the last second could cause the Z-wave process to shut down before initialize completes.

Also, take a look at live logging during the pairing start / stop, if it doesn't say its starting z-wave inclusion, then it isn't actually in.

Depending on the z-wave device, I try to exclude it on that same screen first, if it can't exclude, it's probably not going to be able to include...

pdupperOwner

14h

@patrick Ok,

1. Turned off all apps via the "x"
  2. Put the hub 2 inches from the device
  3. Excluded the device. That has always worked fine and I often do it two or three times...
  4. Hit pair and the device button at exactly the same time.
  5. Immediately the hub recognized and started initializing...
  6. Watched in the logs...

Here is the log
sys:12019-06-02 20:32:05.113 infoZ-Wave Discovery Stopped
sys:12019-06-02 20:31:08.130 infoInitializing Z-Wave Device : 87
sys:12019-06-02 20:31:05.094 infoZ-Wave Discovery Running

It never tells me why it doesn't complete... I am at a complete and total loss...

The only issue that is fixed is a timing one at the end of the countdown.

There are some devices that don't complete the initialization process for a variety of reasons.

This issue isn't going to be fixed any time soon. Some reasons are environmental, number of routers, signal strength or interference, device issues, hub issues, other hubs stuck in inclusion or exclusion, etc.

No need to reboot the hub. Much easier to disable and re-enable the Z-wave radio in the Z-Wave Info section of the settings. This is a "reboot" of the radio... Rebooting the hub isn't going to hurt either.

Larger z-wave networks can also take time to settle in. I've seen it where a device just won't pair during adding a lot of devices, but given a few days and a repair, coming back the device pairs right up. Of course, this is after making sure the device is factory reset.

The key is patience. Give it time and not just keep repeating the same attempts over and over expecting different results. If it doesn't pair the first time, retrying a dozen times isn't going to fix it. Something else is causing an issue and need to look at all the potential causes, and unfortunately, every environment is different. (This isn't to say we can't continue to improve things on our end either).

1 Like