Question re: Iris Smart Plug (3210-L)

I paired my zigbee on the 3210-L I have when I first got my HE, however did not pair the zwave as I currently do not have anything z-wave on that side of the house. I went out to pair it just now and it did not detect. I moved it near the HE and pressed the power button 8 times and was able to include it. I then moved it back to it's original location and ran a z-wave repair.

Don't forget to try what @stephack suggested and reboot the hub. I now have over 20 of these plugs and usually reboot the hub after 3 failed Z-wave pairing attempts. Also it helps to get the plug close to the hub. It doesn't like pairing with more than 2 hops with my observation.

Yes, will do. I brought the hub up from the basement and tried already but it didn't work. It's about 12 feet from the hub.

That was when I was doing the other things though that reset the plug.

I brought it up because I was going to have to try and pair my schlage lock anyway. Another Z wave device I'm having issues getting paired.

Other Z wave devices like GE outlet and utiltech leak sensors, no problems...

Also see this thread

This just is not working for me :angry:

Ok, well, let's say I did almost everything recommended. I just moved it closer, probably only 5-6 ft closer and it found it. Super touchy...but it worked!

1 Like

So it was the 8 super fast pushes of the power button while in z-wave pairing mode and being very close to the hub that worked? Do you know which firmware version your plug is on?

Correct. I moved it closer, probably 4-5 feet away from the hub, and pressed the button 8 times (it seemed like 10 times always turns it off) and it paired.

Is there a way to see the firmware version in hubitat? I paired them about two weeks before iris went offline so I assume they had the latest as I doubt Lowes really cared about doing anymore software updates for their devices.

Ok, next outlet didn't work. Tried moving it closer, and following all of the steps I did before but no luck. So then I remembered the only other thing I did with the previous one and that was (unintentionally?) doing the factory reset by holding in the button when I plugged it in. So I did this, the outlet reset and went back into pairing mode. I paired it to Zigbee, then did the ZWave and it worked. So here are my steps that I took:

• Moved the outlet 4-5 feet next to the hub.
  • Unplugged the outlet.
  • Started Zigbee pairing on the hub.
  • Held the button and plugged it back in.
  • As soon as the light on the outlet came on, I released the button.
  • The device was found as the previous outlet with name and everything already there. I made sure it was saved by going into the devices tab in the hub app.
  • Unplugged the device. Waited 30 Seconds.
  • Started Zwave discovery.
  • Waited 5-10 seconds.
  • Pressed the button 8 times very quickly.
  • The device showed up. I saved it. After moving it to the original location, I did a ZWave repair.

I have 3-4 more of these so I will try this same process on those.

2 Likes

So it looks like this process works but when I tried the next one, it assigned an id of 0E to that device. I fat fingered something because I am using my phone to do this and it hung and didn't finalize the addition of that device. When I repeated the process, it assigned an id of 0F to the same device. What happened to the other id? Is it ghosted somewhere in the system or does it not matter? I looked through my device list and don't see anything with the id of 0E.

The hub will clear the ghost device on the nightly maintenance.

Ok, good! I got the rest of them paired.

Now to get my schlage lock paired...I think I am going to have to run a 30 ft cable over to it with the hub attached just to get it paired.

1 Like

Update A second lot of 5 devices is on its way to me at an accepted offer of $45.

Received a Lot of 5 Z-Wave Plus Smart Plug Model 3210-L White Zigbee today. He's asking $66, my offer of $50 was accepted.

All but one paired the Outlet (Zigbee) right away, I did replug one once. That may have been my impatience and expectations after reading some of these posts.

Three of the Repeaters (Z-Wave) paired with 8 fast button presses without issue. On two I did the following once each:

One was paired in place, the other four in the same location and then moved them. Z~Wave repair is running hoping my sensor issues (intermittent response failure) get resolved.

Thanks for the tips, hints and device suggestion.

5 Likes

Good deal.

I will say I haven't had any issues with these plugs after getting them connected. They seem to have done the job of extending my ZWave network, particularly my Schlage lock. I had drops on this and after adding in 6 of these plugs, my lock hasn't dropped.

I can't believe that person is still selling them in lots of five on eBay. They must have a ton of them. I just paired my five in Zigbee and Zwave without too much issue. It's nice that these are actual relay controlled outlets. I have a few of the 2GIG-Z-BRDG-433 dimmers and those have leakage current and are really only good for incandescent lighting (leakage current allows LED's to light up). I'm super happy with these 3210-L outlets, especially at $10/ea.

1 Like

So other than the incompatibility with Xiaomi devices, is this one of the best options for adding inexpensive repeaters?

I have a few xiaomi devices, but also have some tradfri outlets and a second HE, so I could potentially connect the tradfri and xiaomi to one hub, and these iris outlets on the other. (They would only be there to serve as repeaters, I don't have much use for smart outlets beyond one or two.)

1 Like

That's how I've done it with 2 hubs and it works well. No repeating zigbee bulbs on either hub and everything seems to be stable.

IMHO, yes. I have been very pleased with the Iris 3210-L outlets acting as Zigbee / Z-Wave repeaters. I used Sengled (non-repeating) Zigbee bulbs, along with numerous Zigbee sensors, and have a very stable, reliable Zigbee mesh network.

2 Likes