Zooz Zen17 relay

I was able to wire it, pair it and i even see the parent app and child apps in hubitat. But it just wouldn't open or close my garage. Do i have to install a separate tilt sensor? I have a smartthings multipurpose sensor lying around that i can use. I don't see an option to add a separate sensor in zen17 hubitat config though.

What terminals did you use for everything? Did you only use the outputs (large terminals), or did you wire your wall button into the Zen17 too (small terminals)?

Have to, probably not. But it will be much easier if you use that Smartthings or another similar sensor on the door. That will become apparent in a later section below.

So what did set the main device settings to? Screenshot of that page?

Also, you are going to have to set this up for garage door mode. There are ways to press the buttons on the Zen 17 to do so, but it was easier for me to use the Super basic Z-Wave parameter tool to set everything needed and check all the settings. The short version is you install this tool, and temporarily change the Zen17 driver (device type) to the Basic Zwave Tool. Open the logs in a new window, and back in the Zen device you can query the parameters to see how they are set. The output will be in logs. You can then set parameters as needed to become a momentary relay.

The parameters you need to check are listed in the manual, but you likely should double check at least parameters 6-9 and 15-18. I checked every parameter in the manual just to be sure it was set correctly. You basically want to be sure you have the auto-off timer for 1 second, and time units in seconds, and no auto-on timers set for the relay you use. Hopefully this will be easier in an upcoming Hubitat firmware, these parameters should have been exposed in the UI, but somehow they were omitted. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0218/7704/files/zooz-700-series-z-wave-plus-universal-relay-zen17-ver1.0-manual.pdf

The last confusing part was that I couldn't get a dashboard button to control things. After digging a bit, there are a couple apps that people have written to be garage door apps that combine a tilt sensor and the relay. I ended up using kahn-hubitat's [Release] Garage Door Opener App - LGK Virtual Garage Door which is also in Hubitat Package Manager if you use that. It was very simple to set up, and gave me my garage (control) dashboard button back.

3 Likes

Thanks @neonturbo for a detailed instructions. Before anything else though just have a few questions i want to have clarity on:

1. Why is there input tyoe ralay 1 and input type relay 2? I only have one garage door. Does those input represent 1 garage door each?
  2. Accirding to manual you linked, do i have to press z wave button for 5 seconds in order to use it as garage opener?

Thanks again!

Yes.

That is one way. But what I was trying to avoid was this warning from the manual:

IMPORTANT: If you set this parameter to value 4-10, you’ll need to exclude and re-include the device (without changing any settings) so that a child device is created for the input of your choice!

So that is why I suggest the Basic Zwave Tool. You just type in the parameter, size, and value without having to exclude and include again.

2 Likes

For posterity's sake here, there's a 12th value option for Parameters 2 and 3 ("Input Type for Relay 1/2")... I think it became available in the 1.04 update, so it's not mentioned in the manual yet, and it's not available in the native Hubitat driver yet. However, it's mentioned in this support page.

It's value #11 -- it's a different option for garage door mode that seems to involve a wired sensor input... Not sure how that would work exactly but it may be useful info for some folks out there.

1 Like

@neonturbo in terms of wiring. I only have one garage door, do i need to follow what's in the doc?

Tried just using the R1 C without wiring R1 NO but after pairing with hubitat i still see two relays??

Also the "Manual" way of setting it to garage door is "3" hence re-pairing is not needed as it's only for 4-10 :slight_smile:

I was able to install Garage Door Opener App - LGK Virtual Garage Door from package manager. So i guess in order to make use of this, i have to have a physical tilt sensor installed? Why is there "virtual" and "physical" open/close sensor in the LGK Virtual Garage? should i just set the same device which in this case my smartthings multipurpose sensor?

Thanks again for all your help!

You must connect the 2 wires going to the GDO to R1C and R1NO (one of the 2 wires to each of those slots) - you can't just connect one of the wires to one of the slots.

Even if you don't use the second relay, it still shows up in Hubitat - AFAIK, there's no way to "disable" it from appearing as a child device.

Thanks @hydro311 for answering this. I had it wired like that before. I'll revert to that original setup then. I was doing a trial that if i remove the other wire it'll not show the second relay. But to you point, not way of removing it even if i don't use it.

1 Like

I have being work for 2 days with ZEN17 universal relay. It does updae relay 1 state fast with no problems, but 70% of the time is NOT updating RLEAY2 state, it fails to update. I have to refresh the device in order to have the right state show up.
Anybody having same isue?

Another proble I found out is relay dose not showp as switches, so I can not add ani lights conected to it to my group of lights.
I have a MIMO2+ , and found out ZEN17 with more fitures, so I bought a ZEN17.
I am not conecting any motos to it and so I have selected DC MOTOR MODE Disabled, but surprice relays do NOT shows as switches and can NOT be added to grups or seans.
But relays from my old mimio2+ can.

Is there an update diver coming up for it, so I can add my relays to grups and scenes, just like can dio right now with MIMO2+?

My relays show as switches.

What is your child device type? It should be Generic Component Switch.

I Yes it shows as Generic Component Switch.
I found out the real problem, I forgot to do a Refresh at the Group app.
I fill like a nube. :grimacing:
Sorry for all the trouble

I am switching to a zen17 now that the myq lite app has stopped working. What can I use for a beeping warning sound similar to the Myq unit?

My Zooz Zen17 is now successfully installed and controlling my Chamberlain Garage Door opener.

• I connected a Reed switch to the Z17 t detect the open/close state of the door.
  • I soldered wires onto the board of a spare remote control and connected that to the Zen17 so that it can open and close the door. (My GDO has Security+ 2.0, so cannot activate the door directly.)

I want to thank everyone who jumped in an answered my various questions I asked in preparation

for the install -- very helpful!

Marc

2 Likes

Did you soldered wires onto the board of a spare remote at the switch or push button?
Are thsi wiires cotecet to ZEN17 at the relay outputs C and NO?

When others have set parameter 2 or 3 to a value in the 4-11 range did a new child device get created after you excluded/re-included the Zen 17?

I changed parameter 2 to a value of 11, excluded/re-included the device and I still only see the two relay inputs. I was expecting an open/close child device as well.

I recall having issues getting the child devices to originally show up too... I don't remember what combination of button mashing finally got them to pop, but keep trying... Once they showed, it was all good - it hasn't been a problem since.

Here is what I needed to do to add the Zen 17 and get it working as a garage door controller. In my setup I was replacing a MIMO lite with a wired open/close sensor.

1. Included the Zen 17 with security and upgraded the firmware using the Firmware Upgrade app
  2. Pressed Configure/Refresh to ensure that the firmware upgrade occurred
  3. Changed the following settings using the Hubitat driver
    a. Input Type Relay 1: Contact
    b. Input Trigger for Relay 1: Disabled
    c. Enable debug logging: Disabled
  4. After the settings were saved, I pressed Configure/Refresh and then made sure the Sensor 1 child device was present (you will still see 2 relay child devices)
  5. Changed the parent device to the Basic ZWave Tool driver and changed parameter 2 to a value of 11
  6. Changed back to the built-in Zen 17 driver (make sure you do not press the Configure button again at this point otherwise you will overwrite the parameter 2 value)
  7. I installed the drivers/apps that Zooz references (https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/370-how-to-use-the-zen16-multirelay-as-a-garage-door-opener-on-hubitat/) for the Zen 16 (NOTE: you can use any app that allows you to create a virtual garage door using the relay child devices)
  8. Wired the Zen 17 to my existing setup (which was a MIMO lite with a wired open/close sensor) using the following:
    a. GDO was wired to R1 NO-C
    b. Open/close sensor was wired to S1-C

Hopefully that helps others that may be trying to convert over. It will definitely become easier once the driver supports all of the options.

3 Likes

@mjarends -- that's a super helpful summary to have on record here - thanks!

ETA - the point about not hitting "Configure" after going back to the original driver is a good one... I've gotten burned by that before, since we've otherwise been conditioned to always hit Config after changing a driver.

1 Like

IM curious how you got the Basic Z-Wave Parameter Tool to work to set those timings.
I have a Zen17 relay and that tool. I changed my driver on the parent device to the Basic Zwave tool and saved it, but doing a parameter read, or trying to set parameters, and it does nothing to communicate to or from the zen17. When I change the driver back, it communicates just fine. DId you have any issues? I'm on 2.2.9.130 of C7.