Zooz Zen17 relay

Seeing supervisionCheck errors with uncommanded relay state changes on ZEN17 too. C7 hub running latest software. ZEN17 on 1.04 firmware.

Have experienced same with Aeotec Smart Switch 7 devices as well. Using a generic driver and S2 security seems to fix as does using default driver with security "none". I don't find either of these solutions satisfactory given C7 claims S2 support and SS7 is explicitly listed as a supported device.

1 Like

Confirmed- same everything except I re-joined the ZEN17 with no security and the functions are normal & predictable, including DC motor mode (one relay never steps on the other).

1 Like

Mine's joined with no security and has been working as desired on 1.04 for a couple months now... Since it controls my garage, I'd like to get it on S2 someday, but no way I'm doing that anytime soon - S2 is just way too wonky overall right now!

This is resolved in 2.2.8 that is currently in beta

2 Likes

OK. Waiting patiently and hoping it's really resolved.

Wiring question with the Zen17.

So currently I have it powered with a 5v 1amp power adapter using USBC. Then i have a toggle switch attached to Relay 1 input terminals, and the fireplace power connection to No an C for Relay 1. This is working fine except for the occasional issue mentioned above. Last few times i tried it, it seems to be fine.

The next thing I am wondering about is hooking up some fans to the Zen17 that are powered from 12v. My question unlike what i did on relay 1 where i didn't need to supply power to any device, How would i wire in power and use relay 2 to supply the power to the fans. The documentation throws a bunch of red flags about not using multiple power sources.

The multiple power source red flags are related to powering the Zen17 device itself. USB C port or the wiring power port but not both at once.

You can simply wire the 12v + side of your power to the 2nd relay's C post and the fan's side of the 12v + to the NO post to control your fan. Like any other normal relay implementation.

1 Like

Hi all,

My Fortrezz MIMO2+ died and I was replacing it with a Zen17. On the MIMO there's a setting for a momentary on/off on the device. However on the Zen I can't find one on the parent or component. My desired use is just for a button on the dashboard to close a dry contact, nothing crazy.

I'm sure I can write a rule but it seemed like perhaps I was missing something obvious...

Is there a better way to be doing this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Parameters 6/8 and 15/17 enable you to set an auto-off for the relays so that the relay actuation mimics momentary on/off behavior. Unfortunately, these parameters aren't currently exposed using the default driver.

You can use the "Basic z-wave tool" driver to access those (and other) parameters though, and it works well. I did that for my relay so that it mimics the garage door opener button.

3 Likes

Hopefully at some point they will add these as exposed parameters. Bryan seemed to imply that he would work on it when I asked this same question recently at about post 135 or so. :arrow_up:

But for now, the Basic Zwave Tool works OK to set these parameters as @hydro311 listed. Super basic Z-Wave parameter tool

3 Likes

@hydro311 @neonturbo

Ah yes parameters, thank you! Completely forgot to think about that.

I've gone ahead and set them to what should turn off after 1 second of being on, but I'm not getting the expected behavior. The relays just turn on, NOT on then off after 1 second.

Am I missing something obvious? Thanks again!

Huh, those parameters look correctly set up to me, so I'm not sure... Are any other rules that previously controlled on/off behavior disabled for certain (to ensure nothing is "clashing")?

I use a 2-second delay for my auto-off, but 1" should be no problem too.

Brand new device, so no rules yet. I went as far as to delete and re-add just to make sure.

I had tried 2 seconds as well and had the same thing.

Hmm...

Are you on firmware 1.04 for the Z17?

Looks like I'm on 1.03, guess I'll give the new fw a try. Thanks @hydro311 !

1 Like

Make sure you join without security before you try the firmware upgrade. I had a heck of a time teying to upgrade it with S2.

3 Likes

I just received a Zen17.

1. Is there a reason why the "10 - Dry Contact" selection does not create child devices that can register as on/off sensors? I don't see any way to use the 2 "dry contacts" as designed.

2. What is the latest firmware I should have and where can I get it if it's > 1.03?

Maybe @agnes.zooz or @bcopeland can chime in.

Thanks.

Not sure about #1 since I'm using "7" for my magentic reed contact sensors.

For #2, 1.04 is latest firmware - email them here and ask for 1.04... They are usually quick to respond and will send a compatible update file.

Recommend doing to f/w update with the Z17 paired as no security - doing it w/ S2 has caused issues for some (mine updated fine with no security). If you want to use S2, I'd do that after the f/w update.

1 Like

I have the parent Zen17 set as follows:

That created 2 contact sensors.

I have 1 hooked up to a relay that closes when my furnace fan is running.
I have 2 hooked up to a relay that closes when my house smoke alarms go off
I have relay 1 hooked up to apply power to turn ON my house smoke alarms when closed.
Relay 2 is unused

Sensors 1 & 2 are hooked up to the S and neighboring C contacts.

When the furnace fan was running, I measured 0 ohms between S&C for #1. With the smoke alarms NOT activated, I measured very high resistance between S&C for #2.

However, the Sensor 1 & 2 BOTH showed "closed".

I am totally dumbfounded, though, because (after a bit) the sensor 2 child device started aligning with the fan (Open=Off, Closed=On)--even though it was connected to S1.

And, NOTHING seems to make the other sensor device trigger.

So--I pulled the power on the Zen17 and plugged it back in.

Poof--started working as expected. Odd.

I ended up calling the sensors "Contact Sensors" even though I'd have preferred to call them "Switches" so they'd use "on/off" instead of "closed/open"--but things work (and it is really hard to change those now!).