Why Would You Buy a C-8?

I transferred over 200 devices in about 5 mins... Was seamless. I made a forced cloud backup on the old hub then I turned off both radios on the old hub, restored from cloud on the new hub and boom it all worked. Z-wave AND Zigbee

3 Likes

Surely some community members have been beta-driving the C-8 for a little while, right? I can't imagine Support and HQ Staff eating all their own dog food since the new units rolled off the ship from Shenzhen Giec.

Anyone out there with real world experiences they care to share here?

1 Like

It's been fantastic... All I can say. Also see John Stone's review.

4 Likes

Yes

We have been running longer than that.. All Hubitat employees are using C-8 as primary hubs..

6 Likes

Feels like you only needed to wait about 30secs for Rick or ealrier posts from Dave or Jean on another thread... Definitely Community members I am happy to be testing my new toy. Oh and the HE staff... :wink:

1 Like

I had one small bump in the road because I forgot to disable a cloud app before migrating and it took me a while to remember that I had to reauthorize it.

2 Likes

I won't say too much only because I won't/can't discuss certain aspects prior to public release, but I can say migration was smooth. Z-wave is snappier than it's ever been, I really like the adjustable power of the zigbee radio. It's been a good experience.

2 Likes

Does the gameplan involve keeping the firmware versions synced among all extant hubs? I think that has been a sound strategy thus far.

1 Like

Impulse buy. I saw the antennas, and pushed BIN. I have a weakness for antennas.

Now, if they can improve on the abysmal UI, they'll have a killer product. That's their Achilles heel. Evidently, they don't feel it is a priority. It is. It's a huge issue.

2 Likes

I had to laugh out loud, b/c my typing is so slow that my question began way further up the thread and didn't get done until, like you said, it had practically been answered.

1 Like

That's usually how they roll.

2 Likes

I'm not going to argue that there are improvements that can be made, all platforms have those touch-points. Right now the focus is on the hardware upgrade and the improvements that can bring. That doesn't diminish the effect an improved UI could have, but we have to see advances in the platform as an evolution, it doesn't always cover everything we all want, It moves in often smaller increments, or in areas that are not always what we personally need. The most important thing is that the platform moves forward...

3 Likes

What about my C7 subscription? Will everything be transferred to the new C8? I would take my C7 offline permanently after migration.

@bobbyD answered a similar question in the Youtube stream, maybe he can answer in more detail here....?

2 Likes

@Bobbyd, also known as Rick :wink:

1 Like

We've all heard and/or sung this refrain before, but I would counter that the current UI is intentionally lightweight. Not just for bandwidth purposes, but ease of editing, refactoring, and overall approachability for general users who want to try their hand at development. That "ugly UI" is surely paying dividends for the HE team, and in turn, us users.

I don't have a closet full of competitors' hubs lying around to compare with, but in passing I cannot say I've heard of any/many that allow copy-and-paste coding, or provide firmware updates on the reg, the way Elevation series does. Whereas interfaces like Google Docs with all its Ajax and heavyweight JV/JS apps only grow slower (to load and use) and more cumbersome by the month.

2 Likes

As an EE that has designed and developed some extremely sophisticated/complex SW/HW projects, I can safely and accurately say that a good UI is essential to the success of any product. A well thought out UI appeals to potential buyers and sells product. Make it appealing to the target audience, sell more product -- and bury the competition. The first thing a user sees is how well the UI is implemented. Just sayin'.

4 Likes

While I may ask for UI "conversations" to find another Lounge, those are at least two interesting contrasting points of view....

And the ability to roll back easily. Most hubs do not allow this.

2 Likes