Why Would You Buy a C-8?

Pretty self-explanatory.... What are you after in a new hub? Do you want extended and more reliable range for your connected devices using the new external antennas? Or are you looking to expand your HE family and decided to wait for the latest and greatest hub?

Or did you make an impulse buy like me :wink:

4 Likes

+1

4 Likes

+1

Althogh i do want the better antenna and i am hoping it plays nice with a Zen25 double plug.

3 Likes

I'm in it for the range. Trying to move from a 3-hub system back to a 1-hub system so I can more easily migrate/upgrade in the future.

5 Likes

Or did you make an impulse buy like me
Yea I did.

2 Likes

If you have weak mesh issues, the c8 will be a big benifit. All but one of my z-wave devices are directly connected to the hub.

1 Like

I am with @kilowatts and trying to reduce complexity. I started with a C3 and it couldn’t handle my setup so I deployed additional C4 hubs based in protocol, 4 in production. Upgraded them to C7s keeping the same setup and now I plan to have a 2 hub setup with the C8 being the workhorse with radios and a second C7 hub for LAN integrations.

Challenge/Fun will be combining my 2 radio hubs into one as I have over 100 Zwave and 100 Zigbee devices.

4 Likes

This is my challenge too, but I've done it many times before. I'll just be running around the house with a minimote for a weekend.

It'll probably take longer to rebuild the rules/apps

Yep I bought my first ST in 2014 and have migrated my setup many times over the years. I have a few Zwave devices such as Qubinos that are a huge pain in the rear to reset so I will likely migrate my Zwave hub to the C8 and start with it and then manually pair my Zigbee devices. I had a pie in the sky request for multi hub migration tools but totally understand Bruce’s position on his response.

Who will be the first to produce a C8 wall mount? I will be needing one very soon :grin:

5 Likes

It certainly is the little things, isn't it... I even bought a wall mount for my Hue bridge currently sitting on a side-table with no notion of cable management in sight.... One day.... Hopefully the C-8 will be a similar form-factor as the C-7, so shouldn't be a stretch to convert those...

1 Like

Understandable for whole-hub migration, but I really wish we could export/import Rules.

I thought we could already?

2 Likes

Orly?! How'd I miss that

Okay so can we import a rule from another hub?

Yep click the gear on a rule and you will be given an export option. Then on target hub you will be presented with option to select the new device.

Since Zigbee will pair up to an existing device this would have saved me a ton of time if I could seed the C8 with my 100 devices that had names, room, preferences set, etc and then I reset Zigbee and pair and they fall into place. All good as I am sure I have some “spring cleaning” to do.

4 Likes

Got a few. Just for testing. lol

1 Like

You can never be too sure about a new purchase... :slight_smile:

BTW....@bobbyd and others.... The follow up email after ordering a new hub including links to Youtube clips and links to the Community and Support is a nice touch. The focus on providing the right resources close to when they are needed is something that I like... Not that I need them now, but good to see....

3 Likes

I will end up with 12 of them.

1 Like

If I were buying one (on Beta), I would have two primary reasons:

• Support future development projects by providing "profits" to the company for application to those products.
  • Use of the old hub for some CLOUD-based apps and drivers (i.e., action tiles, echo skill) to assure device loads are evened out.

PS: I now have 4 hubs:
a. C-8 Main Hub
b. C-7 Development Hub
c. C-5 Future CLOUD Hub
d. C-4 Future science experiment

3 Likes