Why Would You Buy a C-8?

Except for the antennae the footprint is identical.

1 Like

so jealous :smile:

For my setup, I was had ZERO issues with the upgrade and any operations during the Beta period. Worked like a champ. Others reported some issues; however, they look to have been mostly cleared (you can never clear all problems in a finite time / dollar budget).

2 Likes

As a big Kasa user, that's good to know... Perhaps I should order another C-8 :smile:

1 Like

To put a twist on the conversation....

Will you be migrating or expanding your setup, as @mike.maxwell promoted in the live stream?

Personally I expect to be seeing my new C-8 as an expansion of my setup. It may replace one or two of my hubs, but I expect to introduce it using Hub Mesh rather than migrating an existing hub. Nothing to do with the migration process, just my personal preference.

This. I’m planning to migrate my second hub with close to 100 Zigbee devices (no z-wave) over to the C-8, then slowly move over the ~30 z-wave devices from my primary hub. I’m not entirely sure what I’m going to do with the extra hub yet, but I’m leaning towards moving ES and Alexa integration over to it.

Sounds like the specs, aside from the radios, wi-fi and power are essentially the same between the C-7 and C-8, so the host of those services would likely be driven by the co-location of those with other time-critical devices / apps, i.e. I think you are thinking along the same lines as me...

1 Like

Am I right in thinking that only the C8 will be Matter compatible? My C7 hub is working great and so I'm not sure I 'need' the C8 at the moment...

Yes, Mike mentioned the Zigbee chip on the livestream last evening, and if you look it up, you can see it has thread radio included in it.

Sounds like a worthy question / topic of it's own... Not that I mind you posting it here, but feels like a significant enough question to warrant it's own spot in the list of topics on the Community, instead of tucked away in this topic...

I think @UKMedia was more asking about whether a C-7 is likely to also support Matter... i.e. will it be a C-8 alone that will support Matter, or will existing C-7 (or earlier hubs for that "matter") also support the platform....?

Reading is hard

1 Like

So can looking back.... Just upgrade @UKMedia :smile:

But seriously, @mike.maxwell, will earlier hubs also support Matter? I'm at least happy to hear a "it depends", but that's just me.... i don't personally have any plans to introduce Matter devices myself until well after they are more common-place than they already are....

1 Like

The free migration not only migrates z-wave but all your zigbee devices too. No re pairing!

2 Likes

The c7 will support matter at some point but the c8 will be first I think.

3 Likes

Like others have mentioned I am hoping the C8 will allow me to go from three hubs in the house to two. I currently have a hub on each end of house, along with a rules hub. The hub at one end of the house is connected via a wireless extender and if I can remove that it's one less thing. I can then take the spare C7 and put it in my shop and replace the C5 out there.

1 Like

Trouble is I have separate Zwave and Zigbee hubs hence my request for a multi-hub migration tool.

2 Likes

I'll repost as a separate topic :+1:

1 Like

I would buy one right now if I knew I could transfer all of my C7 devices (38 total, all Z-Wave Plus) to a C8 without a hitch.

No problem whatsoever

1 Like