Why Would You Buy a C-8?

While I'm not normally one for trying to stay on-topic.... I would say that the UI and the software more generally on the HE platform is largely Hub-version agnostic, i.e. it doesn't matter what Hub version you are running, aside from a small number of key differences between hubs.

The UI is definitely a divisive element that some are happy / willing to see continue while others want to see progress or re-developed. Either way, this does not relate directly to the hardware upgrade we are celebrating in the C-8.

5 Likes

Concur, except to say that it does relate, b/c I've watched other teams scramble to toss in more RAM or upgrade to the latest-and-greatest CPU all in the name of "power", whereas Hubitat has very wisely pivoted on the same general chassis because they could with such a forgiving (slim) OS. Sure, they included WiFi on the new controller, but that's a 40-cent part and a minor hop in (hardware layer) complexity.

Just sayin' I see the UI as strongly representative of a series of wise choices made by the team since inception. Even the team itself is lightweight, if you think about it; no office full of UX and GUI wonks to pay and maintain.

Long live the C-8!

2 Likes

To be fair, I'm a Data Engineer, so I work closely on a regular basis with those delivering analytics to end-users, but it is not my primary focus.... Essentially, I get the end-user experience angle and how it impacts the appreciation people have for the end-product we all contribute to.... But I am also conscious of keeping the conversation relevant, and do not want people / new-users to feel put off by conversations about other things that don't directly relate to the C-8 upgrade...

Compared some the others here, my setup is small. One C-5, I hesitated to buy a C-7 on holiday sales expecting a new model and here it is. Finally. On order.
The C-8 introduction web page says very little about what comes in the box.
My C-5 is powered from a USB-A port on a plug extender with USB-A that also powers a Pi Zero PiHole.

Does the C-8 use a USB-C wall wart with USB-C to USB-C cable or a USB-A wall wart with a USB-A to USB-C cable?

My UPS has a limited number of outlets and it is fully loaded as it is.
Knowing the power cable setup will help me plan and order a multi-USB-C wall wart if needed.

On the low shelf, the white blob to right of the big black blob (UPS and such) is the outlet extender with USB-A outlets. The Pi 4 on the wood box on the lowest shelf is running PiHole, HomeBridge, and Infinitive with the RS-485 interface on the little circuit board wired as TTL serial to the Pi 4.

Very happy with Hubitat. Not shown is the Konnected board in the alarm panel.

Cheers all,
Steve

1 Like

Good or bad, I bought some USB-A power hubs a while ago, from memory Anker brand. Provides power to my HE's, SensorPush Gateway, maybe my EcoWitt.... plus a few others.... I also use the same hub at my Study desk for charging devices that are problematic when Windows considers them as in charging mode....

I do feel like I should have created a popular topic earlier in the evening... :wink:

And it has a USB-C connector rather than the more fragile micro-USB.

See the Amazon listing for pictures of what's in the box.

1 Like

Does it operate on PoE?

Officially no, but some have reported using a POE dongle

The vast majority of folks that have migrated to the C8 seem to have done so with few issues, and the common ones have been addressed. There are so many combinations, variants, use cases, third party gear and apps out there that some issues are inevitable.

The migration process intentionally does not migrate the z-wave routes information since the new hub, with its external antenna, should produce much better routes. It took some time for my mesh to settle down and become reliable again and there are one or two devices I'm still fiddling with - ring gen 2 keypads in particular seem to be lagging. That being said my experience is not reflective of most users and other folks have reported no problems with ring keypads. A couple of my zigbee devices required re-pairing but that problem was not common either and in the most recent firmware updates seems to have been resolved. Hue outdoor motion sensors were the culprit in my case.

I found the migration much easier when I brought the C8 online with the same IP address as the C7. Fewer LAN-based apps required fiddling. (I had the privilege of doing a 2nd migration as a test.)

2 Likes

Well... I almost did last night. It's in my cart and something in my brain is stopping me from hitting the final buy at $165 (after shipping+tax). I have 2 C-7s (one with antenna mod) and am not sure what I'll use it for. But I really want to buy one...

Hey, @Hubitat_Staff, you should put the C-8 in the Amazon Vine program, so I can review it. :wink:

I'll cease and desist on my UI comments... and will say I was very pleased with the C7 and hope the C8 I just ordered will serve me as well. I will concede that you folks do an excellent job on the hardware side. I have recommended the C8 to a couple of friends, one already purchased it (last night during your Q&A). As far as I'm concerned, you are the leading edge in HA hubs. I look forward to receiving the C8.

3 Likes

For me it's "just" a hardware backup (BTW: my C7 currently is still running like a charm).
1000 Thanx for the complete migration without ZigBee repairing! :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

I would not want you to stop entirely on your UI feedback, only target it to topics where it is relevant. Glad to hear you are happy with the hardware and happy to recommend it.

3 Likes

Thanks for finding that listing and providing the photo. Looks like we get a USB-A to USB-C cable. That is perfect for me as I need to buy nothing and the C-7 can be powered without an additional wall wart. Well see on arrival.

3 Likes

Well -- like others mine was an impulse purchase -- 9ET is my bed-time, so I didn't know for sure the C8 was coming out, but I popped the order for 2 as soon as I checked the community this morning and saw they were released.

Did I need it? No -- I have 2 C7's, a C5 & a C4 -- this is just what wanted though to finish transitioning my C4 & C5 out of the configuration, and repurpose the C7s for Rules, and dedicate the C8s for my new Radio Hubs.

Thanks @Hubitat_Staff!

S.

2 Likes

I'm angry. I was forced to buy a poe to usb-c adapter to replace my poe to microusb... :joy: :sweat_smile: :rofl:

4 Likes

A few reasons come to mind as a high level generalization:

1. you have immediate need for what's now in that box
  2. you are a new customer
  3. you actually have a soft spot over the fact that the Team is still listening and working hard to embrace a lot of the feedback....and therefore FUNDING THAT seems appropriate

Believe it or not #3 kinda hit me this morning

ASIDE: Anybody know if the antennas are WiFi only or do they serve the purpose of the ZigBee and ZWave radios too?

2 Likes

One antenna handles zigbee and the other z-wave. Wifi antenna is internal. (Physically they can interchange)

5 Likes