Why Would You Buy a C-8?

sort of, the antenna nearest the USB port is connected to the z-wave radio, the other to the zigbee radio.
They are dual mode antenna, so it matters not which one is connected to which port.

5 Likes

For wall- and ceiling-mounters, it also matters not whether the antennas point "up" or "down" so long as they each remain oriented vertically.

2 Likes

Corrected for clarity

Right... just be aware that the connectors on the antenna are right angle connectors. They can be manipulated one plane but not the other, if that makes sense.

1 Like

Hi all,
Does anyone know if the C8 is jumbo frame and 'dumb' POE switch tolerant?

Understand some frustration, but not anger.
Micro-USB is clearly at its end of days as is the Apple Lightning connector.
I found the micro-USB connector to be fragile and damage prone.

I was getting the battery replaced in my aging iPhone 8Plus and ended up in an argument with the Apple Store tech over my decision to not replace the old phone until Apple offers USB-C. It looks like Apple might finally do so on the iPhone 15, but we'll have to see.
I have several Apple devices with USB-C ports, Apple USB-C wall warts, and power connections. Why not the iPhone?

POE would have been a nice addition to the C-8. I would have used it had it been available. Missed opportunity, but I'm sure they considered it and decided it wouldn't aid sales or it increase cost.

Cheers,
SK!

no, and no.

5 Likes

The supplied antennas are fixed right angle... one can buy a replacement antenna for certain exceptional cases is an option. For instance, a nearly identical antenna, but with a "knuckle" instead of a fixed right angle. Or a full wave to (probably) get a few feet more distance, which might help in certain outbuilding examples.

2 Likes

Yes thanks... I was unclear in my post.

1 Like

My C7 performs well. The only way I would buy a C8 is if the C7 fails.

2 Likes

That saved me starting a topic. Thanks

1 Like

My OCDP is screaming!

15 minutes and 50 zip ties will tidy it up.

Unless this is always being changed, then β€˜nevermind’

1 Like

Why did I buy? Things die. Lightning, surges, dumb stuff. I ordered the C-8 specifically so that I could restore the ZigBee radio in addition to Z-wave. Dead hub, no worries. Restore to a new one and get on with my Elevated life without making it a protracted project.

5 Likes

@bobbyD @mike.maxwell or @bcopeland

haven't seen any mention if the memory and cpu are still the same.
With some hubs locking up when the memory gets low.
Did the C8 increase the memory or CPU?

Still bought one to divide up my main floor C5 hub and take some load off it as it occasionally locks ups. Move the old C5 to only run garage automations.
Still running the original C3, 2 x C5s and a C7 what's one more.

Hi,
Congrats team on the C8 hub. I wanted to find out I am in South Africa and our local postal system is near non existent. If I buy from Hubitat.com how would this be delivered to South Africa. The other option is to buy through Amazon, but then do they sell the Europe model as that is the same as South African Z-wave frequency. I looked on Amazon UK but could not find it?

P.S. EDIT: I went through the ordering process and the express shipping is half the value of the hub.

1 Like

I am going to get one mainly for zigbee 3.0 and replacing my Ultra C3 hub. It's still working strong but I have to hold my breath when passing by.
I also have 2 C5.

3 Likes

While I didn't technically need the C-8, I ordered one a few minutes ago from the Canadian reseller.

Latest zigbee 3.0 support and future matter support are the big ones for me. External antennas are a definite bonus since i live in an extremely crowded wi-fi area (my phone shows 12 unique SSIDs available).

I'll move my LAN based items to the C7.
Probably move the SmartThings & Home Assistant integrations to the C7 as well.

The C8 will have all of my zigbee gear, minus the IKEA buttons (perhaps once Ikea and Hubitat roll out their matter updates, the C8 and Dirigera will get along nicely(?)).

1 Like

I purchased one primarily for the better range.

Question about (vertical) antenna direction... My hub is located on the top floor of a 3 story condo (due to where networking gear and UPS is located). Obviously range to the bottom floor relies on multiple hops. Would pointing the antennas down--but still vertical--provide any better range to the bottom floor?

1 Like

Would make no difference..

You could also take advantage of the wifi radio in the C8 and move it to a more central location.