WaterCop Z-Wave water valve not working correctly

Hi @mike.maxwell, I have 2 WaterCop valves and using the generic water valve doesn't work. The Dome water-shut off works but the status is opposite. Physical valve in open position but the status on Hubitat is closed. Here's the fingerprint

• deviceType: 563
  • inClusters: 0x25,0x72,0x86,0x71,0x22,0x70
  • deviceId: 43526
  • MSR: 0084-0233-AA06
  • manufacturer: 132
1 Like

when you say doesn't work with the generic, that's a bit vague for me to diagnose.
Also, what firmware version are you on?

Sorry, I meant with the generic. The valve doesn't open/close when command. I see the log for ON even though it didn't do anything to the valve. Nothing for OFF in the log and no valve movement. Manually control the valve won't update the status on Hubitat either with Generic driver.

dev:6312018-05-22 16:02:27.832:infoWater Valve 1 is on [digital]

Hub with latest firmware 1.0.9.115 also no go with the one before this.

Turns out this valve reports backwards from other devices of its type, we will have this resolved in the next update.

awesome and thank you!

Continuing the discussion from Hub Update 1.1.0:

@mike.maxwell I finally got my WaterCop installed over the weekend. I don't see a specific WaterCop driver but mine paired as a Generic Z-Wave Valve and it seems to be working fine. Based on what Patrick mentioned in the release notes I wanted to confirm I should be using the Generic Z-Wave Valve driver and there is not one specific for the WaterCop valve. Thanks!

1 Like

with the way that we currently match devices to drivers, the driver that it pairs with is the correct built in driver.
So, yeah, that's the one.

1 Like

Just tried it and it's now working. Thanks @mike.maxwell.

1 Like

@Navat604 does your watercop stay connected after a hub reboot? I recently installed mine and have since rebooted the hub and the watercop shows dead. It’s not a distance issue because the hub is above the watercop.

I am having similar issues with my minimote sand hoping this is an anomaly.

DEAD also might mean SLEEPING :slight_smile:

Battery devices, since they sleep, may show as Dead. (My Minimote is showing dead as I type this.)

If it's a battery device, don't panic on "dead." :smiley:

Edit: I clicked the Minimote's button #1 and the 2nd time it did what's intended - and "dead" became "alive"

True, but watercop is mains powered.

I do have that "dead" status after a reboot as well but not all the time. Usually cycle the valves once with Hubitat or physically will bring them back to alive.
I have 4 Z-Wave Contact sensors with the same issue and I think it's related to mesh after a reboot.

@Navat604 I finally got around to installing a smart switch that my WaterCop is plugged into. Like we discussed over in this thread:

In case you haven't setup a rule to automatically cycle your switch upon restart of your hub, you can do that since the "systemStart" event is logged that you can subscribe to:

Here are the action settings:

Hopefully @mike.maxwell/@bravenel will eventually fix the driver so this isn't required but this certainly works in the mean time.

Which driver?

Using the Generic Z-Wave Valve driver. The WaterCop fingerprint was added to the 1.1.0 release:

and what's it not doing on startup that it should be doing?

Each time I restart the hub or apply a firmware update the valve becomes "dead", in the old zwave status, and unresponsive. It loses connection to the hub. The Close and Open buttons do nothing.

@Navat604 and I have found that we have to power cycle the valve to get it working again.

Hey @ritchierich, I think our valves frozen is not caused by the valve driver but most likely by the dashboard. I am half way on a month long vacation but I removed my valves from the dashboard and have no issue controlling them after the last update and multiple hub reboots.

Wow month long vacation, I am jealous! Enjoy.

I don't have my valve on any dashboards. The only app subscribing to my water valve is a "Water Detection" rule that turns off the valve if water is detected on a water sensor. This issue happens on almost every reboot of my hub, but sometimes not.

Yeah, very strange. Possible the limit setting of the valve as well. I also have 2 dome valves without any issue.
I think the WaterCop valve freezes if no open/close limit is reached within a set time and I find the rotation of the valve is a little off once in a while.