Watercop Question

Hi. I did a quick search on water cop valves and while there was some great info...didnt see the question i was looking for.
On the drivers page there seem to be 2 options for opening / closing. One is valve open / close and the other is a switch... On / Off.
Both seem to accomplish the same thing On - Open. Off - Close. Both update at the same time as well.

Just wondering if this was done in the driver to have a switch option as well as a valve option for open/close vs. just a valve command.

I probably should have done this research prior...but didn't. Some of the posts on the forum for water cop seemed to indicate there are a couple of version. I got a really good price on mine so presuming its the older model. 192390.02 model number. Anyone know if there is anything problematic with this model number?

thanks
Mac

That would be my guess. I'm using the Generic Z-Wave Valve driver for what looks similar to the model you have. Mine is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C91B69P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

The fundamental problem with this device is that it is Z-Wave, not Z-Wave+. Making it worse is that these tend to get installed in places that are not near any other Z-Wave devices. Many have observed they become unresponsive frequently.

Someone had the theory that this happens when Hubitat is rebooted, though I didn't find a direct correlation. Nonetheless, I use a smart plug to power cycle the valve a couple times a day. (Power cycle the power supply to the valve; not open/close the valve)

I have it on my to-do list to add relays to the open and close pushbuttons on the device to put it under control of a Z-Wave+ device. For the moment, the power cycle solution seems to work.

Appreciate that.
Im pretty lucky in where it is being placed. My water line is on the outside wall by my office. I can put a zwave repeater 3 feet away on the other side of the wall....now just need to get a really good repeater that doesn't drop off. I like the idea of tying into the controller with zwave + devices to drive the valve but thats beyond me to do cleanly.
Will certainly consider a plug that resets the controller every day.

But also dont have it installed yet...so might look for a zwave plus before i cut into my main line.

Thanks
Mac

I have 2 valves with the same model you have. They still become unresponsive often due to the firmware issue.
I put a smart switch to power cycle these valves every morning at 1:30 for 2 seconds.

1 Like

That was me and in my personal experience with my Water Cop this is the case. But I will admit the valve is in the crawl space directly below my HE hub in the center of my house. So YMMV. The only time my valve doesnโ€™t work is when my HE is restarted so I have a rule that automatically toggles a zwave switch that the valve is connected to on restart.

I wonder..thats a couple of different comments about some zwave devices dropping off after a hub restart...i wonder if this is something that Hubitat can look into? i appreciate that these are z wave vs z wave plus but the common denominator seems to be the hub and like many of us...not really looking to go update all the zwave devices to + unless they absolutely die.
anyone know if there has been a request to HE to look into this?
Cheers
Mac

Speaking to Watercop (not sure what other devices you are referring to), this is not an issue with HE as it is a firmware issue with the older non-plus Watercops. This was discussed in this very old thread here:

But as you can see the issue also exists on the SmartThings platform too:

So unfortunately the HE staff won't be able to fix this.

Got it....i asked the question in another topic anyway...before id seen your reply.
Regards;
mac

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.