Using new aeotec dual micro driver - status issues

Finally got an answer from Aeotec on the firmware update. Apparently there is no firmware update capability on the older hardware. Seems odd as they have always been advertised as being able to be updated ‘over the air’.

Just need help getting the basic z-wave tool to work. There is no response when I try to set the parameter.

this would seem to indicate a faulty device or it's unreachable on the Z-Wave network...

Ok - still troubleshooting these things. I think the issue is actually the Alexa app and not the drivers within Hubitat. I did a bunch more testing and I have the switches working well within Hubitat.
I’ve never had any luck with the Basic Z-wave driver. It never shows any feeedback. Nothing from any of the buttons. Sorry - but this does not seem to work.

I ended up re-loading the Aeon driver from @erocm123. It seems to work best. I did have to change some of the details in the rule machine though, due to overlapping child devices.
Can anyone tell me how to get rid of left over child devices? When I switch to the new driver, it left the child devices. The new driver uses ‘on1 / on2’ type settings instead.

Now on to the real question. Alexa does not seem to be getting the status updates. Any ideas on that?

Thanks

Search for my driver "clean device"

It will get rid of them all though then you will need to recreate them again though.

1 Like

Thank you @BorrisTheCat. The clean driver worked this time.
Unfortunately the status updates for all of my dual switches is still not working - both for Aeotec and Enerwave. Close to giving up on this Hubitat. I can’t update the firmware as per Aeotec. It will cost me much more to replace all the switches as it would to try another controller. As much as I like the local control features of Hubitat, I may not have a choice unless anyone has any other ideas or a better driver for both brands.

1 Like

I have seen a post from @mike.maxwell saying a driver for this will be in the next release. We don't know when that will be but releases are usually about 4-6 weeks apart.

I am currently using the built-in one and it works but it just doesn't report the status correctly. For me that is fine as it's on a light I rarely use and is being controlled directly from the input. If you search the forum others have got better temp work around's, i.e from memory the qubino built in driver used to work to some extent for me.

What do you mean by this? I have updated my aeotec products firmware using @bcopeland firmware updater?

1 Like

Ah - that is great news. Thank you. Hope the new driver does the trick.

I tried to update the drivers and went to Aeotec to get new firmware, but they said the older Micro switches can not be updated. I thought that was odd as they had been advertised for years that they could be, but it's been a while. If someone else has the updated firmware, I'd be willing to give it a go.

You said they were the newer nano switches not the micro? If they are the micro the current built in driver will work. The new driver is for the nano.

Unfortunately not. The are the older Micros. I actually like them better than the Nano. The Nano's are a pain to wire. The current built in Driver is called 'DSC17103 Micro' and that matches the model of the switch I am using. Are you sure about the driver? That doesn't make sense.

By the way - what about the Enerwave device? It has the same problem?

What problem?

Yes

No the current one is called.

No idea about this, we are talking about aeotec.

Why? They are the same only smaller and better/ newer technology.

1 Like

They require two hot conductors, one for the device, and the other for the load, since there isn't a second hot bridged terminal on the device itself, two separate hots need to be supplied, total pita...

They don't need to be different though. Its the difference of volt free or not. The advantage of the new one is that you can control anything not just the circuit that it is supplied from? That's a plus in my book. You just need a bit of flex link if you want to control the same circuit, simple.

Thats not really anytning you will run into, the thought process behind this device is that the controlled circuit can be a different voltage than the device supply, however i will contend that this use case is an edge case and the majority of users will use the same supply for the device and the load.
They are simply difficult to install, I would not recommend them for a whole house deployment given the price and the dual hot requirement...

1 Like

@BorrisTheCat - I see the pluses of the Nano but , it requires 2 14g jumpers that barely fit just to make it work for the 90% of its use cases. I could see using it for some situations but not for my light switches. Plus the price is high.
Anyway - back to the Aeotec Micro, I realize the confusion. Here is a recap:
I used the built in Driver and it just caused issues. It would not allow control within Hubuitat and it created child switches that didn't work. So I had to create virtual switches, but those have the status issue. I had to use the Clean Driver to get rid of the child devices. I then tried the driver ''DSC17103 Micro' driver from another user (their name escapes me). It works as good as I've had. It works through Hubitat and Alexa, so long as I do not flip the manual switch. The status does not update in Hubitat. I then tried the Z-Wave update driver, but it does not appear to work on Micro switches. There is no response.

Anyway - unless there is another option, I am hoping someone can edit the drivers to update Parameter 80. That sounds like that is the problem. Although - from what I can tell from the code, it IS trying to update the parameter.

I'm going to try Aeotec again as well and see if they have a parameter update tool. I think I have to buy a Aeotec Z stick though.

Not sure why this is so hard. The Wink hub never had an issue with these.

Tagging @mike.maxwell

@ahavelind - something else is wrong. I had one of these working fine in Hubitat with the built-in driver. I think @mike.maxwell may still have them behind his Picos.

1 Like

agree, I have two samples of this device, both of them work correctly.

we have a tool that allows setting and reading zwave device parameters, see this post:

2 Likes

I tried the Parameter update tool. I mentioned this in an earlier reply - I know you guys get tons of emails. Tried several times, but the Parameter tool does not respond or feedback any information that it is doing anything with either of my Aeotec dual Micros. No response what so ever. Tried it on the Enerwave dual switches as well, but if I recall you said the Z-Wave update tool was only for Aeotec devices. Not work anyway.

When you say work correctly - how do you use it? Do you use the manual wall switch?

Several questions:

1. By parameter tool, do you mean @mike.maxwell's "Basic Z-Wave Tool"? Where are you looking for the response to appear? It will appear in the logs, not on the driver page.

2. Basic Z-Wave Tool isn't restricted to any specific z-wave device. But parameters and their values will differ quite a bit between devices. You cannot use Aeotec dual micro z-wave parameters on an Enerwave dual relay.

OK - I will look at the logs this time and let you know what I see.

thanks