Updating Z-Wave radio on C-7 hubs after version 2.3.8.122

So I rolled back to 2.3.6.146 and turned it off and restarted. Then went to z-wave and clicked on the update.

It says 'started...'
Then

Z-Wave Firmware Update
Z-Wave Updater: Firmware is not able to be updated

The z-wave version is the same as before the rollback.
VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:11, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:0, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:15]])

Try sending a PM to @support_team

You might have to get it to 7.15 first (I think its on 7.11 right now). Sometimes you cannot make large jumps with the z-wave firmware. Not sure if rolling back the platform further would allow it to do the 7.15 update, and I am also not sure what platform might include that version.

Do you have anything on this hub? You could always try going back to something like 2.3.0 if there is nothing to lose on the hub.

1 Like

It is already running 7.15.

If I run /hub/advanced/installZipgateway715
It returns 'already running v7.15'.

What are your thoughts on a full reset then start from scratch it will want to update to the latest firmware at the beginning and maybe i can update the z-wave before I load my saved db?

Do you have hub protect? A full reset wipes your radios which can only be restored from a cloud backup. Also, the full reset will break your subscriptions.

A soft reset wont wipe the radios?
It will start from fresh unless you chose to load a backup.
If I choose new setup then before adding anything try to update the z-wave.
If it works then load a backup db then.

For info this is how my zwave stack ended up.

@net.sheriff yes a soft reset would be safe, you originally said a full reset.

@bobbles you still need to run the endpoint to update the ZIP Gateway to 7.18 then you are fully updated. Sometimes you have to run it multiple times (and then reboot) for it to take.

Well mine is a mish mash as well and I can not seem to get it to update correctly.

It currently sits as this:
VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:11, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:0, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:18]])

zWaveProtocolSubVersion:11, should say 18
firmware0SubVersion:0, should say 18

Although it is working and showing installed z-wave devices.

Any more suggestions on how to fix this?

My only other thought was to go way back to something like 2.3.0, as I suggested above.
Just was worried what it might do to the hub database. But you are correct you could take and save a backup prior, do a soft reset, try the firmware update, then restore the backup after you have updated the platform again. I will look in the release notes and see when they published the 7.15 update.

2.2.3 had a C7 firmware update (I think this would have been the 7.15 update which you need): Release Notes: 2.2.3 | Hubitat Documentation OR Release 2.2.3 Available You could try getting that platform.

Found where they added 7.18.1 Z-Wave FW: Release 2.3.4 Available

Also be sure not to download too many older platforms at once, always want to make sure a current one stays in the diag tool list in case you get stuck you can get back to current.

But that's the problem, the radio crashes and just sits there.
As I've said above, the HE guys couldn't work out what was going wrong either.
It's no biggy for me as I do not use ZW on this hub.

Mine works OK as well in this state. I can include/exclude a device and it works OK. I used a spare device I had to test it.

Ok I thought you were having issues getting the zw firmware to update, but that looks to be up to date. The only thing I can think of is make sure the radio is enabled when trying to update. The ZIP Gateway was mainly updated to help with the cloud backups causing zw crashes, so leaving it on 7.15 is probably fine especially if not using it.

It's the SDK (whatever that is :wink: ) that is not up to date.
On my C8 I have
ZW Radio/SDK --- 7.18.1/7.18.
That is where it all locks up/crashes. I then revert it ALL back to 7.15 and then back to the state shown and stop.

Went back to 2.2.3, soft reset and reset the z-wave radio and the z-wave radio was:

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:11, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:0, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:2, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:14], [target:2, version:2, subVersion:3]])

It still has the same problem where I have highlighted.

Nothing I have done allows it to update and I have tried several versions of firmware.

It either hangs on getting the z-wave radio info - like here

or when you click the update firmware it does nothing and goes back to the update window as I mentioned in my first post.

I gave up and went back to the latest OS and it is sitting exactly where is was before I wasted hours of frustration on it. Ie: at v7.15.4

It is working.
But it needs something more than the OS firmware update button in the app to fix it.
It needs like a lower level app specifically for flashing the z-wave firmware.

Have you done a full shutdown and removed power?

Too many times to count...

1 Like

This is supposed to be your zwave firmware version. According to that you are at 7.0.1, which I did not know a C7 ever had? I am not sure what it started on or what the 2.2.3 update was specifically, since they did not put it in the release notes. The "VersionReport" is a little different than what I usually see. Seems like you have never updated it before. I think the problem is that the firmware update button is trying to install the newest version. I was hoping if you went way back on platform it would install an older one first.

@gopher.ny @bcopeland is there any way to get the hub to try and install the 7.15 or some older version first, before jumping to 7.18?

Try this endpoint also just to confirm the gateway version.
/hub/advanced/zipgatewayVersion

As I said a few posts up. It reports the following.

I went back to 2.2.3

I actually have another C-7 hub that hasn't been started and I just started it up to see what it said and it is starting on 2.2.7.128 and the z-wave is as follows.

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:14, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:14, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:2, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:14], [target:2, version:2, subVersion:3]])

So it clearly look like the first hub's Z-wave update has not worked properly.
Is says zWaveProtocolSubVersion:11, firmware0SubVersion:0,
When I rolled it back it should have said
zWaveProtocolSubVersion:14, firmware0SubVersion:14,

That hub is on 7.14.1 firmware and 7.14 gateway.
I think that one you should be able to update to the current firmware coming from 7.14

The ProtocolVersion I am not sure how that plays into it. I think that is what version of z-wave it is "speaking", but the firmware0 is where the actual chip firmware is listed. Generally they are the same but for some reason your hub that is stuck is showing protocol 7.11 and firmware 7.0.1

You will need to wait for staff to comment if there is any way possible to do an incremental update, I think that might be the issue with the hub stuck on 7.11/7.0.1

This hub ↑↑ is not the problem. It is a new spare C-7 that I happen to have and I was using it as an example. The hub that is the problem ↓↓ is the one with the 0's and 1's.

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:11, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:0, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:15]])

When I rolled back this hub ↑↑ to 2.2.3 it should have had v.14 but the zWaveProtocol (SDK I think) is all wrong and does not change ever no matter the OS version or what z-wave you try to load on it.

It is like it needs a bios type flasher to fix the problem.

On the bright side - at least the z-wave radio still seems to be working.