Updating Z-Wave radio on C-7 hubs after version 2.3.8.122

I'm a bit unclear on the steps for upgrading Z-Wave, could someone please answer a few questions I have?

I have completed Steps 1 and 2.

Looking at Bobby's instructions:

When I navigate to Settings > Z-Wave Details, I see an Update button, but not an Update Firmware option. Is this the correct button to use for the upgrade? If not, where should I be looking?

After completing steps 4 and 5 of the update process, where can I check to determine if the upgrade was successful?

1 Like

http://<hubIpAddress>/hub/zwaveVersion

Sorry for the confusion. Steps 1-5 are only required if you have a C-7 hub and already updated to 2.3.8 (prior to version 2.3.8.122), and you have a button on the Z-Wave Details page to "Update firmware,"

Otherwise, if you are updating to version 2.3.8.122 from a prior version E.G. 2.3.7 o.r older) then you'd need to follow steps 1-3 for C-7 hubs that have not been updated to 2.3.8

If you have previously updated the C-7 hub to 2.3.8, prior to 2.3.8.122 and you do not have a button on the Z-Wave Details page to "Update firmware," then you don't have to do anything.

What version was your hub running before you updated to 2.3.8.122?

2 Likes

Hi @bobbyD,

Thank you for your response.

It seems like I may have made a mistake. Before upgrading to version 2.3.8.122, I believe my hub was running on version 2.3.8.120. After updating, I noticed the note regarding Z-Wave, So I completed steps 1-5 using the update button, and now I'm unsure about what steps to take next and how to verify if I have the correct Z-Wave version.

Could you please advise on the best course of action and how I can check if my Z-Wave version is correct?

When I go this IP

Thiis is what I see

VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:18, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:18, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:18]])

Thank you once again for your assistance.

Cheers,
David

2 Likes

Looks like you may be good.

4 Likes

You are good to go. I added more details on the release notes page, hopefully it's clearer for others who may be as confused as you were: Release 2.3.8 Available - #6 by gopher.ny

5 Likes

Thank you once again for your assistance.

4 Likes

My C7 zwave radio has been switched off as I have no zwave devices on that hub.
After reading that there is a zwave update available I thought I may as well get the radio up to date.
I enabled the radio and followed steps 1-5 as per @bobbyD's post.
The firmware update button then appeared.
When I click on the button to update the firmware I then get to the Z-Wave firmware update notification but it just sits at this.

After 20 mins if I try going to http://192.168.0.24/hub/zwaveVersion I get Error 404 The page request could not be found.
Any thoughts on what could be happening here.

So if I don't have an "Update firmware" button, and I'm already running radio firmware version 7.18.1.0, then there is nothing to do?

My C-7 is running 2.3.8.122.

hub/zwaveVersion is 7.18.1:
VersionReport(zWaveLibraryType:7, zWaveProtocolVersion:7, zWaveProtocolSubVersion:18, firmware0Version:7, firmware0SubVersion:18, hardwareVersion:1, firmwareTargets:1, targetVersions:[[target:1, version:7, subVersion:18]])

hub/advanced/installZipgateway718 says "already running v7.18.3"

Nothing good :frowning: Please send us your hub id in a PM so we can further investigate.

Done. :+1:

@bobbyD My suggestion is to rename the "Update" button on the Z-wave settings page to "Save Region". It might be less confusing.

https://docs2.hubitat.com/en/user-interface/settings/zwave-details

10 Likes

Right, you are good to go.

For users who ran the radio update any time before 2.3.8.117 (keep in mind that the radio update that enabled the "Update firmware" button on the Z-Wave Details page has been around since November 2022) their hubs have been automatically updated to Z/IP Gateway SDK 7.18.03. - No further action is needed

For users who did not update to 2.3.8 prior to 2.3.8.122, they will need to manually install the Z/IP Gateway SDK by going to /hub/advanced/installZipgateway718. If these users didn't run the radio update since November 2022, then they should run that first, before installing the new Z/IP Gateway SDK.

2 Likes

I have successfully updated to 2.3.8.122 on a C-7 and also successfully updated the Z-wave firmware to 7.18.1.0 (thank you BTW for the great instructions that allowed this tech-naive old guy do this!). Question is, what exactly does this Z-wave firmware upgrade improve upon compared to 7.17.1.0 on a C-7? TIA for any info.

1 Like

Our engineers determined that the Z/IP Gateway SDK update was critical in resolving an issue with backup and restore functionality. Overall there are many improvements and bug fixes that Silicon Labs released with this update. For more details, here is their full release notes document: https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/release-notes/SRN14932-1C.pdf

3 Likes

There is no "Update firmware" button on the page as mentioned in the steps. The button says "Firmware update". It's not clear that refers to updating the hub's firmware, and isn't a link for updating device firmware. Pressing that brings up a dialog which says "Update firmware". That, along with the "Update" button on the page makes the page, and the instructions, confusing.

"Update" should probably be "Update region." "Firmware update" should probably be "Update hub firmware". Or similar.

Also, the steps mention updating to "Z-Wave and Z-Wave Long Range 700/800 SDK 7.18.1.0". Nowhere is that mentioned, on the page or in the dialog.

2 Likes

Fair points. Thanks for your feedback. Are you all set, or do you still need help to navigate through the process?

1 Like

I got there, although the instructions didn't work for me. I was on 2.3.8.120. I did the "/hub/advanced/installZipgateway715", rebooted, and still got an "ERROR: This firmware target is not upgradable" when trying to upgrade.

I ended up upgrading to 2.3.8.122, then going through the above, followed by "/hub/advanced/installZipgateway718 " and it all worked out.

Also, note that after doing an installZipgateway, you end up on a static "Success. Reboot now." (or similar) page. You have to reload from yourHubIP to then get to Settings/Reboot, something not mentioned in the steps.

1 Like

I have the same issue. Can you help ?

Uhg :disappointed:

I did:

and got this:

No clue what I should do from here.

This shouldn't be this hard...