Update Firmware on C-7 causes web interface to be unreachable

I have been using Hubitat for years. I purchased a C-7 a year or more ago planning to do the upgrade from my C-4 but haven´t found the time to undertake that project since I must move devices and rules. I decided to bite the bullet but when I put the C-7 on the network, login to the interface and initiate a firmware update as the first task, the web interface becomes unreachable. The update is from 2.2.5.131 --> 2.3.3.140.

The restore tool can roll back to 2.2.5.131 but the same result on multiple upgrade tries. Anyone have any insight or solution to this issue? Obviously don´t want to start migrating devices and rules over until this update is successful. Appreciate any help.

I'm assuming because you used the restore tool to revert that the diagnostic tool is still available on port 8081? So the IP address didn't change? And you're trying to access the UI via its IP address?

In the hub Settings tab, do you have a static IP or dynamic IP address? Please set it to dynamic, and do an IP address reservation in your router, if you have not done so.

2 Likes

And AutoNegotiate for speed.

Look here Where is regular login, find my hub?
Try findmyhub.hubitat.com

1 Like

Thanks for the responses.

@brad5 no change to the IP address and yes accessing diagnostic tool to revert back on port 8081.

@neonturbo no changes to the IP settings on the hub. I have the reservation being done by my router

@jamesslate ... yes it is autonegotiate.

Is the LED still green when it comes back up? (Well, sort of back up.)

1 Like

Yes it is still green.

May need to update the diagnostic tool as well.

1 Like

If so, modify this link with your hub's IP address:

http://YOUR-HUBS-IP/hub/cloud/updateDiagnosticTool

2 Likes

No luck updating the Diagnostic Tool when upgrade done and when reverted back it says no update available. Appreciate the efforts but no luck yet.

I think it's time to call in the big guns... @bobbyd any suggestions here?

1 Like

I thought of one other thing that’s a bit of a long shot but it shouldn’t hurt. The database format has changed since 2.2.5. Maybe a corrupt database is somehow wreaking havoc on the upgrade process.

You might consider making a backup and saving it locally then doing a soft reset followed by a restore. That will cleanse the database in the process. On newer versions a restore does a soft reset first but not I think on that old a version. Once that’s done try the upgrade again.

Again just a thought but since even BobbyD gets some time off for good behavior on the weekend it’s something to try.

1 Like

@brad5 that resulted in the same outcome. Still unresponsive after update. Appreciate the efforts so far.

When you say in responsive what's happening? The hub does a update? Then you can't find the hub apart from the diagnostic tool?

Try a shut down after the update and as it's a new hub do a soft reset after that which will give you a blank database.

Once your up and running and firmware update done on the z-wave page, you can restore your c4 database to the C7.

By unresponsive ...once update is complete page comes back with message "This page isn't working. 192.168.1.194 has redirected you too many times. Try clearing your cookies."

I have tried clearing cookies, accessing from multiple computers and browsers. Can reach it using port 8081 to rollback but that is all. Tried your suggestion of upgrading and doing soft reset but same outcome

Just some more random things to try...

Have you tried http://hubitat.local?

There's a similar thread that suggests maybe your browser is trying to force an https redirect. Is that a possibility?

There was also a change made a while ago that only allowed access from an RFC1918 non-routable IP. Is your browser is on the same subnet and is it a /24 subnet? From what you posted HE is definitely an RFC1918 subnet.... just checking to make sure your PC is too.

@brad5 thanks for the suggestions but no luck. I can reach hubitat.local when on the old version but not after the upgrade. I have tried on multiple computers and multiple browsers all with the same message.

Both computer and hub are on the same RFC1918 network 192.168.1.0/24

If you haven't tried these steps yet, please check out this thread and let me know if your problem persists:

Thanks @bobbyD for the response. I did try these steps as were outlined above and will try the same thing again. I tried the Diagnostic Tool update to version 1.0.97 as I have 1.0.75 but it did not perform the upgrade. Message returned was:

{"success":true,"message":"No Update for Diagnostic Tool Available."}

1 Like