The Hubitat C-8 just hit fccid.io

Hmm is this going to be US only? The radio specs don't show 868MHz range.

Edit: Ignore that. The antenna specs show otherwise. I guess that's because the FCC has sod all to do with the UK/EU

0.87dBi gain for the Z Wave antenna. I guess people will still be swapping that out on the new model.

2 Likes

Would love it to have a PoE network port
Other features would be a battery so it can shutdown safely so I can get rid of my UPS

15 Likes

Actually for most zigbee stuff when I was switching hubs, I simply removed the device from the original hub which autoput in in pairing mode then started zigbee pairing on the new hub and it slotted right in (used the original database). This was a godsend because I have 36 window contact sensors alone. I had maybe 3 or 4 devices I had to go to to factory reset and re pair. It was actually pretty painless.

7 Likes

I sure as s**t hope so.... I bi***hed about that when the C7 came out and didnt bother to update zigbee.

5 Likes

nooo GIF

4 Likes

not funny mate... :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I don’t understand much of all the specs either… :smile:

But if I’ve understand correct; No Bluetooth? :confused:

No bluetooth. I think a lot of it has to do with the range. BT and BTLE have a very limited range I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Far less than z-wave and zigbee.

3 Likes

What makes you say that? Micro USB supports up to 5V@1.5 A, using the USB BC spec. Although, it really doesn't make sense to use the micro connector instead of the Type-C one on a new design, if using USB.

Since the cat is out of the bag it would be nice to see some official comments about the C8.

4 Likes

Would the EU USB-C mandate apply to HE? I haven’t paid that much attention and might only apply to phones and laptop type devices.

2 Likes

Not sure how likely that’ll be. The FCC filing is a regulatory requirement, but that doesn’t mean they have info they’re actually ready to share with consumers right now.

6 Likes

Yeh your probably right. Too bad though since it would have been a nice feature!

I leave this one to the RF engineers amongst you:
Is it better to have a big, long, internal antenna (the way that Homey is apparently doing it)
or
an external flexible antenna that can be pointed in the right direction (the way that the Sonoff USB dongle is doing it)
????

To be frank, I don't understand why it doesn't have a Bluetooth radio. It seems like a small thing to put in at the conceptual stage. I guess it's because Bluetooth hasn't really taken off in HA (yet). I don't think that it's really a deal breaker for anyone.
Probably a 433 radio is even a more common request than a Bluetooth radio!

2 Likes

The focus going forward must be on Matter compatibility. Not sure how BT/BTLE fits in that picture.

6 Likes

For those of us who love running "companion servers" alongside our main hubs - if one really needed BT they could just spin up HA and use their enhanced stack + the awesome HE HA Bridge.

5 Likes

In my day job, I get inundated with as many innovation ideas as the HE crew get on this forum. I finally created a scoring sheet that tracks the scope and evidence of the market problem, the alignment with the organization, the advantage to the organization, and the effort required. Now, I just let folks know that their idea will be assigned the appropriate priority.

The concept that business strategy should be "do something" reminds me of Sun Tzu: Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. I don't mean that to be disparaging to anyone, so I hope that it doesn't come off that way. Rather, as a suggestion that HE responds well to statements about what users want to do/have/accomplish.

12 Likes

Well, actually BTLE is a pretty important component of the Matter/Thread onboarding process. BT is used to establish the initial connection to a Matter device, and thus allows passing the WiFi network credentials to a new device. If Hubitat does not include BTLE in the hub, then the Hubitat Mobile phone app will need to handle Matter onboarding duties, I believe.

14 Likes

I had no idea! But that makes perfect sense.

1 Like