[SOLVED] C-8 migration - some Z-Wave devices not working

Good to know I'm not alone.

Can you post your z-wave details page?

There's a whole additional thread of at least two of us with similar issues... I tagged you.

@brad5 - can you post the thread (or tag me as well).

Going back to my C7 until this can get sorted as my network has become unuseable.

Here’s our thread.

Just pinged @support_team with link to thread and my hub id.

I've been moving some critical devices back as well... with me the behavior seems very specific to a C8 that has been through a migration. I even took a C7 with only three z-wave devices on it, migrated it to the C8, had the same issues even with a brand new and very strong mesh. All the devices were within 6 feet of each other. As soon as I did the migration, started having problems including and excluding. I have a C8 that has NOT been migrated - started fresh - and it seems to work better.

Interesting observation in that this issue seems to accompany a migration. Would a hub factory reset put the radio/database into a non-migrated state? I would think a Z-Wave radio reset would accomplish the same. Although for my hub's sake I hope something else can be done to get it working.

1 Like

I am not recommending my approach since I did it as a test and I have enough spare hubs to mess around. But I found it was a z-wave radio reset PLUS a soft reset that returned it to a non-migrated state.

These incidents that are hitting a few users are so odd, and hard to see a consistent pattern - a troubleshooting PITA.

BTW - how do you identify "a non-migrated state" on a hub?

If you need an explanation behind your finding, a Soft Reset removes the hub's database and installs a new one. This database contains your drivers (along with apps code, user code, settings, etc), as seen on Devices page. A Z-Wave reset removes the devices connected to your radio, as seen on Z-Wave Details page. There are basically 2 independent moving parts, actually 3 if you add Zigbee into the mix.

1 Like

Yeah that's what I figured. What I couldn't figure out though is why that would affect the ability to include and exclude additional devices. Unless one of the drivers on that hub was the root cause? I conducted this little experiment with a C7 with only a couple of devices. The same devices are running on a C8, just migrated manually. Could be a coincidence though.

It wouldn't.... the inclusion/exclusion is between the radio and the device. Even with a bad driver or no driver the inclusion/exclusion process would be an exchange of data between the radio and the device itself.

1 Like

Yeah must be a coincidence then. Bummer. Was hoping I was into something. Odd because it seemed repeatable. But then again my desk is not a controlled test environment.

TDLR: PoE->USB-C power splitter seems to be the culprit...

Well it took a replacement C-8 that was exhibiting the same issues to start looking for other issues. I was running the hub off of a POE to USB-C power splitter (link) -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087F4QCTR

I have removed the splitter and switched to a USB power plug. Z-Wave behaving normally now.

Power issue? Perhaps the splitter was not supplying enough amperage? Odd that Zigbee seem to perform ok

2 Likes

Glad you were able to work this out. Guess we need to add questions about splitters to our troubleshooting interrogations now? :slight_smile:

Does seem odd that only Z-Wave would be affected if the hub was having power issues.

Yeah, I'd be curious how many others are on splitters. And if they see problems or not. I'd like to go back, as it makes for a much cleaner installation. I will probably try another brand splitter and see how it goes.

1 Like

Many of us here use splitters and we haven't run into this previously.

I've used these for a few years...but they are micro-USB, not USB-C.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QPRVM51/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use the exact same USB-C PoE splitter with my C8. I have not had any issues whatsoever. I use a UniFi PoE switch.

I'm using this one and seems fine...

DSLRKIT Gigabit USB Type C Active PoE Splitter 48V to 5V IEEE802.3af Power Over Ethernet for Raspberry Pi 4 4B https://a.co/d/gRnrZem