[SOLVED] C-8 migration - some Z-Wave devices not working

Just seems odd, aside from the "we got a bad batch" theory, that the same splitter might work fine for some, not for others.

Though so far 100% of the people reporting in on the other thread are all using the same splitter. A couple days will tell.

2 Likes

For what it is worth, I was using the exact same splitter with a C->Micro adapter on the C-7 and had no issues with the Z-Wave.

1 Like

Yeah unfortunately not all my z-wave issues went away... I think it was the placebo effect.

I tried another "brand" splitter and it also exhibits the same Z-Wave comm issues. No telling if the insides are the same make, however.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GM8FB3X

FWIW, I left the ethernet part of the splitter connected and powered the hub separately. The Z-Wave issues went away.

I didn't see where you said what the POE source is. If Unifi/Ubiquiti, some of their devices are 24 vdc and some are the current standard 48 vdc. Could that be the issue?

That's the one I just ordered. When it arrives I'll plug it into my C8 and see if any issues come up. I'm running mine of a single POE injector IIRC (or might be a small four-port POE switch, can't remember for sure and don't want to crawl under a desk to confirm at the moment. :wink:

Anyway, interested to see if any Z-Wave issues arise for me using it - my Z-Wave has not had any problems on my C8 using my existing 2.4A splitter that I also use on my C7s:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QPRVM51/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had another series of dropouts after I replaced the splitter with a brick. But yesterday I replaced the brick with another brick, stopped all automatic backups, and stopped Hubigraphs long term storage. So far so good. I guess it is possible that the brick I used the first time wasn't solid.

USW-Lite-16-PoE - the switch is on the other side of the house in what equates to probably just under 100ft of Cat-5E

Reported PoE Power Consumption / Budget: 12.9 W/45 W

Obviously something is quite sensitive on the C-8 as I (we??) had no problems with the same splitter (and C->Micro adapter) on the C-7

Well I just had another complete C8 z-wave failure. All devices stopped reporting at just past 1:20. On a brick, no PoE.

Holy โ– โ– โ– โ–  dude! what a catch.. this helped me too. Did you find an adapter that eventually worked?

Good reading...

Nope, I gave up after the second one exhibited the same symptoms.