[SOLVED] C-8 migration - some Z-Wave devices not working

I did the migration from a c-7 (after the Z-Wave migration problem update) and all of my Z-Wave+ (note the plus) devices seem to have made the transition. I have a few non-plus devices that are no longer responding and they can't be pinged on Z-Wave repair. I've even gone so far as to unpair/factory-reset some devices and cannot get them to be discovered during the inclusion process.

Some of my Z-Wave devices started working after migration, albeit very slowly. My Z-Wave+ locks for instance. They were in locked state. I issued the lock command from the Hubitat UI and the lock unlocked about 35 seconds later. Subsequent commands responded quicker over time, but it took a few tries before the commands would be executed in a second or two.

As far as the Z-Wave devices that are 100% not working - I'll use the Aeotec Range Extender 6 as a clear example, as its LED is a great indicator of its paring status. I start the Z-Wave inclusion on the c-8 and click the button on the extender. Prior to the button push it is cycling through the rainbow colors. On click it starts blinking green - for 10 seconds. Then blinks red a couple times and goes back to its rainbox (unpaired) color cycle. I do the same with my c-7 hub and it connects immediately.

Is the solution to reset the entire Z-Wave network and reconnect all my devices? I'd hate to have to start there as that is about 20+ devices. I know I could use the c-7 as a mesh, but I'd rather have everything on the c-8 if I can...

Can you post a copy of your z-wave details screen in its entirety?

Absolutely - thanks for jumping in to help me out. I'll note that while some show routes, they are not responding to commands (like the "Mud Room Lock" and "Master Bedroom Light")

Your mesh is pooched. You have 6 ghosts that need removed my friend.. All the ones with the discover buttons next to them.

Depends on how long since migration - I was missing routes for about 24 hours, Bobby said it was over two days for him...

If they have discover buttons they're partial or failed pairings.

2 Likes

Ah, missed that.

Is there a way to force remove them without reseting the Z-Wave altogether? I clicked on Refresh button for the "ghosts", which adds a "Remove" button. Clicking on it makes the web page load for a while but comes back with the device still there.

If you know the devices that caused it you can disconnect power to them and attemp the remove again otherwise you will need a z-wave stick paired as a secondary controller. Here look at this

1 Like

Before you go to the route w/the UZB stick, try the "Refresh/Remove" dance at least five or so time w/the devices...it can sometimes take a number of tries and then work. That may save you having to go the UZB stick route, especially helpful if you don't have a UZB stick.

I'd also do a shut-down before starting the Refresh/Remove...

1. Settings>Shutdow
  2. Red LED on hub
  3. Unplug 1m
  4. Plug in & let boot up

Then try Refresh/Repair again, multiple times for each device. Has worked for me in the past.

3 Likes

I've got the USB device from a C-4. Will that work as a stick for this?

I think it will as long as the silabs software can see it.

I'm guessing my Z-Wave situation is in pretty bad shape, as I cannot get the stick to pair with the hub (as explained in the attached PDF). I also tried to Remove a ghosts as many as 10 times and they still remain.

I feel like my only resort at this point is to reset the Z-Wave stack entirely :frowning:

I would get the zooz 700 series z-wave stick then. Available on amazon

If you want to do a full radio reset, all of your "device" entries will be left in place. After you pair them again, you can use swap apps to move automations to the new device entries.

That being said, your original screenshot shows all devices with no neighbors and almost no routes, I suspect that was right after your migration. I would not worry too much about the ghost nodes just yet. You can try doing a full zwave repair, to help the devices along in finding thier neighbors. This will establish the mesh again and allow them to route properly.

After a couple of days all the active devices should settle in, and you could post the details page again so I can take a peek at it.

The devices still with discover buttons on them can sometimes cause issues if the hub is searching for the device and sending out discovery packets, I am not totally sure if/when it will do this. Otherwise, the other devices will not try to communicate with those nodes because they would never be discovered as neighbors.

Update:

1. I reset the Z-Wave on the c-8
  2. I removed all leftover Z-Wave devices from the c-8
  3. I was able to use the c-7 to Z-Wave exclude some of the devices and get them added to the c-7 (about 5 of them)
  4. I was able to connect the Stick to the c-7 and remove all but a couple of the ghost devices using the SiLabs utility
  5. at this point the two remaining, previously undiscoverable Z-Wave devices became discovered via the Z-Wave settings on the c-7
  6. to note: the devices that are on the c-7 are new responding faster that I've ever seen
  7. I excluded the Aeotec Range Extender 6 (again, because its easy) from the c-7 and tried to pair it with the c-8. Still won't connect. The c-8 Z-Wave settings page is empty - zero devices. I've reset the Z-Wave network on the c-8 and rebooted several times.

While I could mesh the Z-Wave stuff from the c-7, I'd really like to have them directly connected to the c-8.

Strange I have 2 Aeotec 6 extenders and they're both on my hub..Have you run the factory reset sequence on them?

I just completed the ghost removal with the Zooz 700 stick and it worked flawlessly. Got rid of 6 or 7 pesky entries that wouldn't go away no matter what. One was a Zooz power strip which I know was in the garbage can.
I did all this before migration to C8 and everything is better than ever.splicity studio and PC controller tool is a bit confusing at first but I've used them for years for firmware updates so I am familiar with them more now.
The PDF write up off drop box was spot on. Took about a minute per device to check failed and another minute to remove failed...
If it works fine with a stick, I feel like it should work fine on a hub too, but it doesn't. I get that supposedly it's in the zwave software from Silicon but if the stick is the solution, send a stick with hubs or put one inside the hub!
Nobody likes ghosts!

4 Likes

With the stick you're essentially bypassing a lot of the sdk for lack of a better description

1 Like

Ok but...lol. Can't means Wont?
There are soft reset options, disabling options, etc, it really should not be this difficult to remove a ghost entry in reality. I'm not really blaming Hubitat for this, but I've been into automation since pre X10 and probably the most frustrating, embarrassing, confusing and upsetting aspect is when your doing everything scientifically correct, and understand the protocol and process, and it still doesn't work no matter what.
If Zwave is a protocol for secure, dedicated device separation and control, then the primary objective is to separate, manage and be in control of all your devices (or ghosts) in your particular environment as an administrator.
Who wears the pants in there? The Admin or the ghost?!!