Show us your rack! (No not that one!)

Staff would disagree with that assessment (and have, in other threads).

1 Like

But clearly you disagree with their assessment.. you have 4+ hubs

Every time I watch their live streams I always wonder how much they really use hubitat.

1 Like

Nope, I’m the guy with one hub :slightly_smiling_face:.

AFAIK, all the staff use one hub at home.

1 Like

@jrvisconti i have 200 odd devices on hubitat and a lot of rules. Runs fine. There are people here that run more devices than I on a single unit just fine.

I know Mike runs at least 2 as he has zigbee bulbs on a separate hub:

2 Likes

OK jw

I have two units now due to a zwave issues in my garage

I don't know what my load is but it seems like I get a bunch of lag from furthest zwave switches.

Do you have a write up / post on your antenna setup?

@jrvisconti

3 Likes

I have three hubs, but not because of processing power. Issues with the Z-Wave 700 series radios were the trigger.

I have 100+ Z-Wave devices. I originally had a single C5 which handled the entire house. When I moved to a single C7, I encountered a tremendous number of issues. Everything was stable with ~45 devices, but deteriorated rapidly above that number. I reset and recreated the network more than a dozen times. Even a "repeater backbone" approach didn't address my issues. In the end I segmented the house into three zones with a hub handling each zone. Very stable.

My issues had do with the SiLabs firmware rather than the Hubitat system itself, and things have changed a lot since then. At this point, I believe that SiLabs has sufficiently addressed the radio firmware issues, so I could easily run with a single C7 again. The antenna mod doesn't hurt either. :slight_smile:
That said, it's just not worth tearing everything down again in order to remove the other hubs.

1 Like

Might check this out:

1 Like

295 devices on 1 hub. 99 are zwave.

6 Likes

Good point. There are some good use cases, but personally I don’t put much stock in a generic “load” bogeyman as one of them.

1 Like

Oh wow

I joined the multi hub club years ago because my C3 couldn’t handle my then 120+ Zwave devices, 40 zigbee, and many LAN integrations. I had a lot of lag with say zigbee motion turning on Zwave switch. I segmented by protocol with C4s to solve it and then kept things that way when I upgraded to C7s.

I could probably put zigbee and Zwave on same hub now but know my LAN integrations need to be on a separate hub. This said my chatty alarm integration does tax my zigbee hub so I will be leaving things the way they are. I know some community members have a separate hub for alarm integrations too. I have a coordinator hub that these all feed into via hub mesh and it takes a beating since I am close to 300 devices across my hubs.

2 Likes

I keep track of my perf and even with lan integrations
It only seems to.slow down.at nightly cleanup and backup time.

Indeed, I have my primary hub with external antennas for zwave and Zigbee and the bulk of our automation for those devices. And my secondary hub only handles LAN and Cloud integrations.

Oh and I bought a 3rd C7 in the recent sale so I could have a dedicated test environment.

He who dies with the most hubs, wins, right? :rofl:

5 Likes

Am in the running with 7 Hubitats?

4 Likes

Not really, most of us who do this just wanted to segregate duties as some of the community cloud based integrations are known to be a bit sketchy due to being ST ports (eg Sensibo).

I give up, you win! :vulcan_salute::rofl:

Yes, but that also guarantees you are single (or will be soon). :wink:

6 Likes