Show us your rack! (No not that one!)

My rack has been a mess for a while because since we moved I haven't had any time to get it cleaned up (my cable management has sadly been pretty bad... So I'm about 50% done getting it cleaned up and blades where they should be. .. (Obviously doors and what not installed yet)
Note: The mind breeze is a Dell 640 with OEM branding... :rofl:

Progress...

9 Likes

Is that a monitor on the top?

2 Likes

A monitor?!!

Off course not! it's the storage container for his Proton Pack that @rlithgow1 uses when he goes (z-wave) ghostbustin'.

3 Likes

That's a rack monitor with keyboard and track pad. Here's what it looks like with it folded down and retracted

2 Likes

Nice. I recently got around to building my rack. I put a monitor on it (good for hiding things behind it) and keyboard a few U’s down.

5 Likes

I love the speakers at the bottom lol...

I have an old airport express sitting behind the monitor. So added the speaker as another airplay 2 device for my basement when I'm down there. I had it sitting around and it just seemed to fit the setup so why not.

1 Like

Progress. Need to get longer internal network cables that will cleanly come out with the blades. No idea where my supply went in the move, lol..

5 Likes

I feel rack-envy.

Both kinds. :wink:

5 Likes

why do you have 5 dell servers.. i thought i was bad with my own dell r900 mail/dns server with 24 cores and a backup i can kick in if needed.. i have been replacing my drobos with qnap tr004's

1 Like

I do a lot of VM failovers and backups. Have several clients that if something fails I can have a server to their doorstep. The larger one runs the house, has 512 gigs ram and 48 cores and around 7 vm's of a mixture of linux and windows. The second one is my backup server. One VM backs up the house locally, the other backs up certain client data to an AWS bucket, the 3rd vm backs up all the VM's it attaches to in case I need just a file I can dump on an external drive. (I use Veeam to handle it all) and the last VM on that unit does network monitoring of around 10 different client sites. Everything from toner replacement to critical failures.
On the first one I'm gonna set up a minecraft server for my kid and his friends next week.

The drobos have been pretty solid for me for local backup. Connected via iscsi

2 Likes

@rlithgow1 - Since I know you have an IoTaWatt, I am curious if you have calculated the monthly electricity cost to run that rack? Would be interesting… :thinking::sunglasses:

5 Likes

good luck with minecraft.. you will next be opening up holes in the firewall so his friends on your minecraft server can use discord.. lol

ie

add address=138.201.197.100/32 disabled=no list=Whitelist comment="openweathermaporg"
add address=138.128.140.0/24 disabled=no list=Whitelist comment="someting for discord"
add address=138.128.141.0/24 disabled=no list=Whitelist comment="someting for discord"
add address=138.128.142.0/24 disabled=no list=Whitelist comment="someting for discord"

1 Like

I will actively avoid even the thought of that, lol

3 Likes

I run a Watchguard here. VPN will be mandatory. Ive already talked to their parents and they're ok with it.

1 Like

Well, your rack is much nicer than mine!!! The top of mine is made of wood and screwed to the ceiling, and the bottom is a plastic (abs?) shelve. So certainly not picture worthy!!! :wink:

1 Like

I picked up that Rack (Tripplite 24u) for $50.00 at an office auction (went out of business)

1 Like

Nice! Pretty good deal! My Frankenshteinrack probably cost me more than that! Lol

WOW!, and I thought I was doing pretty good throwing out my pathetic ISP router, and replacing it with my own modem(1), router(1), switch(1), Access Points(3), RaspberryPi running AdGuard Home. I feel like I am light years ahead of my ISP supplied modem/router but light years behind what you have going on there, LOL.

1 Like

Not actually a rack but serves the same purpose.

19 Likes