Share Your Data Logging and Visualization Implementations

How many devices do you guys have enabled? I just tried this again today and my zigbee radio went offline. Could be incidentally but it happened shortly after adding lots of devices to Influxdb app.

Maybe consider adding a switch to disable the app to quickly troubleshoot if the app is causing problem without having to uninstall/reinstall everytime.

I've got in the region of 150 datapoints heading to it. I've had the hub lock up a couple of times, but not frequently, and I've no way of knowing if the logger is related.

-- Jules

You can disable any app in HE from the App page (click the gear icon in upper right)... They added that in 2.0.3 or 2.0.4.

2 Likes

crap.. forgot about that .. thanks..

I have about 20 devices reporting data to InfluxDB from my Prod hub, and another 20 on my Dev hub.. I am trying to only send the data I truly want to visualize. I have 2 Hubitat hubs, both running the InfluxDB Logger App. Both are sending data to the same InfluxDB database. I haven't had any issues since deploying the async version, but it is really too early to tell if InfluxDB is even the cause of my very infrequent Hub lockups.

I am not sure if it's related to influxdb or now. My hub is seeing some weird things going on right now as illustrated by my other thread.

As an aside to this... My guess is that memory exhaustion (of some variety - don't know enough about how the hubitat innards work to know more) is probably what's killing these environments, as the linux oom-killer that kicks in when there's not enough memory for the platform is pretty indiscriminate in terms of which app it stands on.

So we then get into user-apps and whether they're causing the problem or not. I've written a few bits and pieces, and released them, but I'm entirely ignorant of exactly what practices are likely to cause excessive memory usage (barring deliberately trying to allocate enormous objects, I guess), or, to be honest, how it's possible to profile code or similar to work out if you're a bad actor.

Hubitat staff - is there any guidance you can provide on the subject? I presume you've got instrumentation for your own code that helps you to track this stuff down - is any of that something you could make available to us mere mortals? It's one of the challenges for developing for this platform that you start out in an incredibly bad place - for most of us, our development, test, staging, and production platforms are all the same thing - if you were developing in any sort of professional setting, you'd be out on your ear for even SUGGESTING such a thing.

I do accept that I could simply purchase a second hub... but to be honest... without better instrumentation and probably a good simulator and test rig, it doesn't really solve the problem, either.

-- Jules

1 Like

Is it possible that one of you could share an instructions set on how to setup the Data Logging and Visual setup for Hubitat please?

-Installation and setup of InfluxDB . Operating System requirement?
-Installation and setup of Grafana. Operating System requirement?

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi CurtisZM.

I'm sure the internet has various bits of requirements, but given that there's a few components to this, and somebody has already gone to the effort of packaging it, I'd recommend the docker container for it:

https://hub.docker.com/r/samuelebistoletti/docker-statsd-influxdb-grafana/

Any environment that'll run docker will do, and this seems like the perfect application for it, to be honest.

-- Jules

1 Like

Thanks JulesT.

Sorry for the questions. Not really up on all this. It looks to me that I will need install Docker on my PC to make this work?

Hi @CurtisZM

There were some great links above - did you try them and have issues?

They're both very popular platforms, and a web search for the OS you prefer plus 'how to' or 'tutorial' will get you very detailed instructions.

I'd say - try that, and see how it goes.

It's a bit intimidating for a non-programmer perhaps but these are definitely within reach for anyone who's wiling to mess about with home automation.

Briefy, I installed both on MacOSX in about 15 minutes. I don't remember a single issue at any point. They can be run with docker, but that's not necessary. I didn't bother, figuring it'll be easy to do it over if I need to. But docker can also be the easy route, because someone has probably prepared a docker container all set up with all of the above for you, too.

Above all, be willing to give it a try and see. You can't really hurt anything and it gets easier every time you screw it up and have to start over! :wink:

Thanks Josh.

Since I do not have a MAC. I will try either Docker or Raspberry Pi.

No problem, Curt! :wink:

I believe it'll install on Windows, too, but Docker is an easy way for sure. If you're not into Linux already, RaspPi could be an additional learning curve to avoid - and frankly, Windows is frequently a speed bump, too. There are scads of docker tutorials - some in this thread!

Another option is just to try it in a Virtual Machine with something like VirtualBox. A bit more resource intensive but would allow you to get comfortable and test it.

If it’s not for you, it’s simple to uninstall both the virtual machine and VirtualBox.

I run InFluxDB/Grafana on my Freenas server in a jail. Virtually no overhead and the server is already on 24/7.

I found it useful to read through the Codersaur page that someone mentioned.

2 Likes

Just got Initial State working perfectly with Hubitat using their DIY Smartthings app. Not much in there as I'm still porting from ST, but worked great. And IS now has a free tier... =)

1 Like

That sounds exciting. I've been looking at something like this. Do you think it will be more stable than InfluxDB ?

influxdb looks like it's more friendly for local... but InitialState is used by some pretty heavy data producers. It's certainly worth a shot.

2 Likes

Yeah, I am just looking for something to graph my temps and other simple stuff. I think this really hits that sweetspot. Thanks for sharing the code :slight_smile:

EDIT: Now that was extremely easy to implement. I'll take some baby steps but I like the environment.

You mention that they now have a free Tier, but I can´t seem to find that one. Will it perhaps only be shown after the 14 days trial is over ?

1 Like