Right way to add ZWave LR (for new and previously included devices)

This post represents a concise set of instructions for updating (removing/re-add as LR) devices. The main post will be updated with new findings, hints and tips.

Note that LR support is available with the C8/C8 pro or later hardware with at least 2.3.9 firmware

Best Practice: It's never a bad idea to take a backup before doing major lift and shift work...

Pre-work:

1. Ensure that Z-Wave is enabled in the hub
  2. Region Setting shows US-LR (presumably other LR choices will be introduced as they are approved for non US regions.)
  3. Your Hub and Z-Wave Firmware have been upgraded -- on the ZWave Details page, if there's a button prompting the upgrade please do so, and post upgrade, be sure you do a graceful hub shut down, remove the power for a minute, and power it back up.
  4. Upon restart, be sure your old devices are still showing up (early LR beta firmware had a bug, long since fixed, but make sure things look normal before you start) in Z-Wave details.

Requirements for LR:

1. Your LR Device has been scanned and it shows security information in App - SmartStart as it must be set up to join securely. Use the app to scan the QR code if it's not already present in your hub.
  • Right now, I recommend that you not use the Hubitat app to edit any of the devices values as not all values are exposed properly in the apps yet -- the beta versions are adding in LR support. Unless you have a recently updated beta app version, don't edit via the apps.
  1. YOU MUST do one of two things to adjust old entries from SmartStart:
    a) remove the old entry via smartstart in app if you already had an entry as the boot mode type is set at add time. An old entry scanned in prior to 2.3.9 will never join as LR. (Note that the applications are still being updated, so consider editing via the below app. Scanning to add a new device is just fine)
    OR
    b) Be sure that your device really has LR support and check out @jtp10181's smart-start-manager-app and use it to EDIT the SmartStart device, moving the Boot Mode from SmartStart Mesh to SmartStart LR. Here's what it appears as before making the change:

2. In any event, note that the QR code should scan correct values for your device. Don't override what is populated by the scan unless you know otherwise as an expert -- the values all come from the QR code and reflect the device's needs. Please leave the "Grant Keys" items alone - for the purposes of LR adjustments, it's all about the SmartStart Boot Mode being set properly. (In particular, the device needs to be listed as SmartStart Boot Mode - you need that vs S2 Boot Mode.)

You can tell if SmartStart worked and Secure Paring was done right by looking for something like this on the device - the S2 value will vary as it represents the rights granted per the table below:

• S2: 3
  • zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true

The S2 values are built (and are cumulative based on the presence of one or more bits) as follows:

0:"No Security", 
128:"S0 Unauthenticated", 
1:"S2 Unauthenticated", 
2:"S2 Authenticated", 
4:"S2 Access Control"

For New devices (or those totally removed, and factory reset)

1. Add to SmartStart with a FW version after 2.3.9.111
  2. Power up device - it should join automagically in a few minutes and be listed in Devices.
  3. Be patient if it's not instant.

For existing devices that WERE in the hub that you wish to re-join as LR and later "replace": (credit to @jtp10181 for this suggestion)

You cannot use "Replace" in zwave details as the old device (which still may have been added via SmartStart/secure) does not have correct bootstrap information. That's why prior entries had to be removed/readded in SmartStart, or edited as described above.

1. Remove old SmartStart information and re-add the device in SmartStart. (Optionally, edit as described above)
  2. Edit device DNI information by appending _OLD to the DNI-- and rename the device name to OLD so you can find it later. This will detatch the device from the node so you can avoid a ghost node by excluding it properly but without removing the device entry (which you'll need for the Swap Devices step)
  3. Verify in Z-Wave details the node is listed with no device attached (looks like a ghost)
  4. Z-Wave exclude the old device using the button on the z-wave details page -- you'll see something like excluded unknown device when it's done.
  5. Refresh Z-Wave details and verify the node entry is gone.
  6. The device should smartstart and show up again on its own if you already added it to SmartStart.
  7. Update the information on the device with the right name etc.
  8. Settings - Swap Apps Device -- specify the OLD to New named device and you'll retain your app references
  9. Remove the old device (devices, remove button down at the bottom)

How you know it's now LR (credit to @bertabcd1234 from another post )
Short answer, you can tell by looking at the included device's DNI value.

Regular Z-Wave uses hex node IDs between 0x01 and OxFF, or 1-255 in decimal (normally the hub is 0x01 and the first few reserved on 700/800 networks, and the top few also reserved on any network, but that's the general format). So a device with a node ID of, say 0x0F (or 15 in decimal) will have a DNI of 0F.

In Device or Room Details:

Example - DNI is A7 so it's NOT added as LR:

Z-Wave Long Range uses 4-digit hex node IDs that all start at 0x0100 (or 256 in decimal). So if you have a node ID or DNI equal to or greater than that, that's an easy way to tell it's LR. :slight_smile:

Example (the two YELLOW highlights are LR devices, and the other is joined as mesh as it doesn't support LR)

In 2.3.9.139(ish) or later releases, the Z-Wave Details Table nicely shows a highlighted LR icon. Earlier 2.3.9 builds did not have this identifier, so again you can always tell if the node ID is greater than or equal to 0x0100 (or 256 if you look at it in decimal).

7 Likes

I am not sure what the S2 attribute value is meant to represent, but I have a non-LR device with S2: 3 and LR device with S2: 2 (both show as S2 Authenticated in Z-Wave Details page), so you might note that the value here could vary.

2 Likes

No, they don't. LR is only currently available for the US, other regions will follow eventually.

The S2 field is the grants the device joined with.
Usually the best place to confirm security is the Z-wave details page (although right now there is a bug where it might show "None" until you reboot)

0:"No Security", 
128:"S0 Unauthenticated", 
1:"S2 Unauthenticated", 
2:"S2 Authenticated", 
4:"S2 Access Control"

Each grant code represents a bit in an 8 bit (1 byte) decimal number.

For Example S0, S2 Unauth and S2 Auth is common, which gives you 131
131 = 0b10000011

1 Like

Yah - knew specs were in various stages of review - didn't mean to imply it was ALREADY available :wink:

Indeed, thanks, I should have said S2 non-zero -- will make this change now.

1 Like

Going in a few circles after reading all the detailed posts. Such a Luddite for a 45 year IT guy :wink:
I have a Zooz 800 LR.
I factory reset it as it was in use before; manually added and worked fine.
I have never used SmartStart before so it took me a bit to find the ST place of origin; don't use the HE app much.
Remove the power after reset. Scanned the code. Opened the SmartStart Manager and set the boot mode to LR.
Opened the Logs and restored power.
Waited a while and nothing ever happens.
It did join once many resets ago but it came in as A0 so not LR.

Is your hub updated to 2.3.9 platform? You need 2.3.9 to use Long Range.

What's A0? The node number? If it joined as that then the boot mode was not set to Long Range when it paired. Since the mobile apps are not 100% yet, do NOT open the entry in the app, you may accidentally change the boot mode. Make sure boot mode is set to LR using the HE App (looks like you have it already). Do not edit the Grants, most devices should have S2 Auth and Unauth set when you scan the code and sometimes S0 will be enabled, do not change it.

Is it still paired in that node A0?
Either way, once it you have the boot mode set correctly, you can exclude the device, it should then reset/restart and pair again shortly after that.

1 Like

Forgot to mention, beta tester 2.3.9.143
A0 was the DNI so less than FF - not LR.
HE mobile app only shows S2 Boot Mode or SmartStart Boot Mode, no LR.
I only set the boot mode to LR in your app.

Device was factory reset and not included in HE so it should be unassociated.
I'll delete the old HE mobile app entry and not open it up except for the the initial QR scan, when retrying.
Once more unto the breach...

Not sure what could have happened, if device was powered off when QR was scanned, and boot mode was changed to LR and saved before powering up the device it should have paired in LR mode. If you tapped on the SS entry in the mobile app though, you may have accidentally set the boot mode back to Mesh before powering the device?

The mobile app only messes with the boot mode if you tap on the entry in the SS list to edit it. Otherwise it should not touch it. You can also update to the beta apps which I think both have LR boot mode now (although iOS may display it incorrectly). Both the beta apps are supposed to be getting close to a final release, they are working pretty good.

I joined the beat 2.0 and installed the app but it looks like they have deleted or moved the SS menu item.
Can't find it yet....

PS I did reset, power off, scan QR, verify LR boot in your app, re-power and nada in the logs or Devices.

Go to devices tab and then tap add device at the top, you will see the Smart Start section in there.

Try shutting down the hub and unplug for 30 seconds in case the zwave radio is having an issue, this will fully restart it.

If still not working, start an exclude on the hub and then put the device into exclusion mode. Hub should tell you unknown device excluded. That will reset and restart the device and in my experience it will start the SS join right afterwards.

Thank for the burried menu location.
I'll the the 'ol shutdown etc. I don't have a ghost and I have tried excluding it but not after a power off.

Did the exclude give you the unknown device excluded message?

Also, make sure the SS entry is enabled (check mark on list view in my app)

No message for exclution as I had excluded it before all this testing and resets.
I do notice I have a ghost now so I have to try and get rid of that, maybe that's been my issue with trying to reassociate as LR.

BINGO!
Stupid me and the Ghost.
Didn't realize the first attempt left a ghost behind even though I though I saw the Excluded message.
Thanks for the insight.

1 Like

Not sure if that was it or if you tried excluding it again and it worked now? You should ALWAYS get feedback on exclusion if it works, it will say unknown device excluded and then the device resets and restarts. If you don't get anything then the device is not in exclusion mode or not talking to the hub.

Either way, its working now it sounds like.

2 Likes

@JCC nice write up. I'm gonna include in in my newbie message. That said, if I could make one suggestion. At the top, specify that it's for c8/c8 pro only. A few people have been confused and thought LR worked on the c7 and I think one person thought it was available on the c5. Just a thought.

2 Likes

Thanks, added a note at the top for C8/C8 Pro or later hardware. Cool to be included in the newbie stuff, glad this was helpful.

1 Like

Made a couple other updates to the main post reflecting your troubleshooting @dnickel -- let me know if there's additional text that you would suggest to reflect your understanding now.