Renaming and scaling beyond trophy homes

Ok - I think I get what you’re saying. Are you referring to identifying a LAN device controlled by Hubitat by a fqdn (or equivalent), instead of an IP address? For example a Shelly switch?

1 Like

Exactly. This is also why I got into issues with "Label". The challenge is in managing all the roles and linkages.

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. :slight_smile: I didn't think of that since I use basically no lan integrations in hubitat (they are all in node-red).

Yes, that would be useful at times.

1 Like

Just to appreciate my challenge

Ok - I’m not going to get into the Label discussion again, but it should be allowed to use fqdns (or locally resolved names) instead of only IP addresses. That’s a good and valid suggestion.

Some integrations (eg HubConnect) definitely permit the use of resolvable names.

1 Like

I'd like to learn more about how you coordinate hubitat and node-red

Can I urge you to post this question in one of the node-red threads?

1 Like

Like most home automation platforms, there is a set of node-red nodes to integrate with Hubitat.

With those nodes it makes it very easy to pull in, an write back values to Hubitat. They use Maker API as the communication mechanism.

Why do I use and like node-red? Summarized here: Node-RED nodes for hubitat - #4299 by JasonJoel

Thread on the nodes themselves:

There are also oodles of use examples here as well:

And common pallet choices:

3 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes