Renaming and scaling beyond trophy homes

I understand why it does not work FOR YOU.
It does work FOR ME, and no one is forcing you to use spaces...

I'm done. I don't feel so passionately about this that I want to invest any more time on it. If the behavior is changed, I'll do it differently in the few places I use this quirk. Not the end of the world.

I think we have reached the "agree to disagree" moment.
Personally I think it is a good idea but not everybody does.
Opinions are good and should be expressed. Because we disagree doesn't mean either is right or wrong, just a different opinion.

1 Like

I did one more test and found trailing spaces are also preserved. Since the normal behavior in databases is to trim spaces this creates another incompatability. And all this creates security problems with glyph attacks.

This has already been said.

1 Like

So have a flag to preserve the current behavior but it's a lurking UX issues that will recur. The default should be that what you see represents what is there. If the "keep whitespace" option is present then it should be visible with a monospace font.

1 Like

ummm, not to be an ■■■, but this is not in any way the normal behavior in ANSI SQL...
Validating user input data is a function of the UI, not a database.
Anyway, given we have users relying on this "feature", we won't be changing it in the UI.

4 Likes

So you won't be validating the input?

Thanks Mike. :+1:

1 Like

What about the other suggestions?

I don’t understand the reference to trophy homes in the thread title. What does it have to do with the feature requests in the OP?

2 Likes

I view trophy homes as ones that are carefully set up and aren't changed frequently. Often setup by a professional installer.

I think more in terms of a grungy house where things are constantly changing and being rearranged in which the UX is very important. In the current system, how do I change the color temperature for a group of lights and then replace one and want to reconfigure. Doing this with 200 devices can be a challenge.

**It is a bug. period.** It's also a human factors failure.

I'm assuming you mean this as "IMHO". I was always under the impression that a bug was when a program did not respond/react/ etc as the programmer / system designer intended.

I believe what you are calling a bug is merely your opinion on how the HA folks wrote their software.

You might have had better response if you kindly explained why it caused you an issue and politely suggest they consider modifying this behavior in future releases. Just IMHO :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You know, we are all pretty busy, and do respond when we can to users who raise feature requests that are well reasoned, and make sense. Then, there are those posts where one is just afraid to even respond so as to avoid getting into a fight with someone with a seemingly negative attitude. Period. :upside_down_face: .

12 Likes

I’m not sure I understand what this is requesting. DNS support? What about DNS are you looking to do? Also MAC address linking? That’s a thing I’ve never heard of before and I’m assuming “millisecond” is a typo?

The dns is simple -- instead of having to use static addresses I want to be able to use "name.house.com" rather than trying to manage static addresses. This provides a level of indirection. It normal practice -- using actual static IP addresses is frowned upon.

It's hard to compress decades of experience in a short response and explain things from first principles. I did update my post when I realized the problem was not in sorting but in making spaces significant and then I explained that, give how HTML works, such spaces are not visible in the UX. Especially trailing spaces.

If labels were just a display name this wouldn't be too much of a problem but given that those names are used for linkage it is a major issue.

How can I better explain it to a disparate audience?

Two points:

1. Your Hubitat is not a ipv4 or ipv6 router. It should be doing absolutely nothing to manage your LAN, and ergo has zero business functioning as a DHCPd or DNS server.

2. The right place to do this would be your router (or the DNS/DHCP server for your network).

1 Like

I can address my hubs by name (instead of IP) just fine. When they get their DHCP address, they register their name in Unbound DNS on my router.

For example - for me this works fine internally:
http://hubitat-c4-zigbee/

as does

http://192.168.2.161 (which is the IP for that hub)

3 Likes

Me too.

1 Like

That's not what I'm asking for. I want to use a DNS name where it asks for the IP address. I've tried but it hasn't worked. I looked at the documentation and there is no mention of how to translate a DNS name into an IP address

I can get to the Hubitat itself using Hubitat.local. (Though I would prefer it register itself with Ubiquiti via DHCP). Again, that's not the problem I'm trying to solve.

1 Like