[RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

Yes, abort. You have no choice. From my experience, it will never finish the LZW36 update, even if you leave it for hours. If you look at the log, there's a code error that it doesn't recover from. Aborting is your only choice.

As an FYI - the Z-Wave standards (For those geeky enough to care, "Z-Wave Command Class Control Specification", Z-Wave Standard No. SDS14223, Version 9, Section 5.5) specify a command report to let the controller know that a firmware update aborted prematurely by the end user during the transfer. I understand this to mean that a firmware update can be aborted at any time -- i.e., the node doesn't actually attempt to do the update until the entire firmware file transfers successfully.

1 Like

Make sure you have the newer version of the updater. The first version you cannot use gbl files.

I can confirm that the LZW36 will not update with the newest version (V1.0.0) of the updater, but will update with "Z-Wave PC Controller" version 5 which is available for free from silicon labs (you have to sign up for an account) and need a USB Z-wave stick.

The basic update procedure that I followed using Z-Wave PC Controller (from memory, so I hope I don't get anything wrong) is:

1. If the LZW36 is already jointed to Hubitat, first shut down Hubitat and unplug it
  2. Factory Reset the LZW36 -- instructions are in the user guide
  3. Start up the "Z-Wave PC Controller", then join the LZW36 to that USB stick
  4. Do the update
  5. Factory Reset the LZW36 again.
  6. Restart Hubitat
  7. Do a "repair" on the "old" device. The "repair" will fail, and you'll therafter see a "Replace" button
  8. Re-Join the LZW36 using the "Replace" button to start a re-pairing (inclusion) process.

Both of Bryan's releases are the same version number. He updated it in a hurry to get us all going for this switch.

This is the one I am using and it worked no issues.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/djdizzyd/hubitat/master/Drivers/Z-Wave-Firmware-Updater/zwaveFirmwareUpdater-test.groovy

I tried the version on github about 3 weeks ago. Github says it was last updated 4 months ago, so I think I did try the latest. Note that I'm on the C7 hub and I think I was at version 2.2.3.119 when I last tried. There are a number of C7 hub issues that are being chased down, so maybe its a hub-version dependent problem.

yeah, that may be I have mine on the C5

So do I use that one (-test) or the absolute newest, which is named binaryUpdater? And what do I put for "target"?

See my post upthread that explains the different types of files handled by each version of the driver.

Each of those two posts explains the file types and issues.

1 Like

When can expect we the updater to support S2 authenticated devices?

It’s a user-contributed driver by someone who now is on staff at Hubitat. Bryan has said not to expect any further maintenance by him on any of his software, and that anyone in the community can pick it up, clone the code, and make changes.

2 Likes

Oh ok, thanks for the info. So who's up to take this on :smiley:

I had the same issue with the flickering on my Red Dimmer Series 2, but that is my only switch on a three way setup, and it's the only one without neutral. I just used the air gap to reset it, and then it was fine.

1 Like

I had the same thing happen. You just have to be patient, waiting for it to report the updated firmware number. All of mine showed the updated number by the next day.

I'm frustrated. I've spent several hours getting the right file from Aeotec, loading apps in a Win7 VM, extracting the correct section (hat tip to @mbaran [RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater) to a hex file only to find that both versions of this updater throw the "Cannot invoke method and() on null object on line 461 (firmwareStore)" error. @bcopeland, is the ZW116 (Nano switch) one of those files that just won't work? I don't see the model number anywhere in this topic though you did cite it in [SNEAK PEEK] Z-Wave firmware updating inside HE

I swear I followed @mbaran's instructions but I wound up with a binary file, not hex, hence the errors I got. @bcopeland straightened me out and I was able to update to v2.something with a file he provided. I just went back into my VM and used @mbaran's instructions again and this time I got the proper hex file from the 3.0 .exe. I have NO clue where I went off the rails last night but right there is a good reason to quit when I'm tired!

3 Likes

I have 6 of the Nano switches cited :point_up: in my last 2 posts. 4 of them updated in just a few minutes, the other 2 stalled for over an hour, 1 at 28% the other at 14%. I finally aborted the update and tried again on one with the same result. Suggestions to get these 2 to behave?

Oh, and I don't think it has to do with a mesh problem because one of the stalling Nanos is IN THE SAME BOX with one that updated without any problem.

UPDATE: In the absence of suggestions I tried the v2 update (I was going straight to v3 before) on the Nano that stalled at 28% and it went to 55% before it stalled. So I ran the v2 again and it stalled at 28% this time. (We really need a head-scratching emoji)

UPDATE 2.0: I decided to powercycle the 2 that stalled repeatedly and that fixed it. Life is good.

is there an idiot guide to getting the firmware for aeotec devices from there .exes mainly for the mulitysensor 6 eu? I also have nano switch and dimmers that could do with an update?

Any help much appreciated

It is nearby, discovered it just today. :wink:

Having a problem with my Zooz Zen23 V3. I was able to upload the firmware and it needed to flash and reboot. This never happened. Excluded, reset, re-included no problem. Now when I try to update firmware, it tells me to "Turn on Sleepy Device". Can't get any version information from it. I used the first version of the updater before, and trying it with the latest version doesn't help. :frowning:

Hopefully Hubitat will quickly recognize the value of not making their customers buy other zwave hardware just to do Firmware maintenance... >.>

1 Like