[RELEASE] WAKE ON LAN - wake/boot up your computers via the hub

Wake On Lan is my first hubitat app :grinning: It allows you to wake/boot your PC's up from the hub using any automation app you want.

Advantages of this app:

1. You can define multiple devices and automate them with your favorite rule app without needing to create a virtual device

2. It uses its own implication of WakeOnLan so it will probably work even if other solutions fail.

3. It allows you to change the port and password

4. It allows waking up of remote computers (outside of your own LAN)

Before You Begin:

1. Make sure your Hubitat is upgraded to the latest version

2. Enable "Wake on LAN" on your PC and get the MAC address of your network adapter. Read how to do this here: How to Enable Wake-on-LAN in Windows 10

Installation:

1. Download the app bundle from here: https://bit.ly/3sDOvRQ

2. Choose bundles from the menu on the left, then input bundle from the top right

3. Click "Choose File", select the downloaded file and press import

4. Add the app by choosing "Apps" on the left and then "Add User App" on the right

5. Choose " WakeOnLan" from the list and then press "Done" on the welcome page

Using The APP:

1. Start the app by selecting "APPS" on the left menu and then selecting the app from the list

2. Click "Add Device"

3. Choose a name (Example: Bedroom PC) and enter the MAC address, then press "Done".
    How do I find the MAC address on my computer? | Information Technology Services

(To understand the rest of the fields read the "Advanced Features" Section in this post)

4. Use Basic rules or any other rules or automation apps to automate the boot-up of your PC. The device you added will be visible as a switch, turning the switch on boots up the PC, (other commands: "wake" and "push" do the same, off doesn't do anything)

Advanced features:

1. IP address - if an IP is not provided, the wake-up signal will be sent inside your own LAN network only. If you want to wake up a pc on another network you'll need to provide the device's IP address.

2. Port - The default port is 7 and it should work fine. if it doesn't try using port 9 or 0

3. SecureOn Code - Certain NICs support a security feature called "SecureOn". It allows users to store within the NIC a hexadecimal password of 6 bytes. Example: "EF4F34A2C43F"

Change Log:
1.00: and so it begins... :grinning:

1.01: minor bug fixes

19 Likes

I use Boot me up Scottie by @stephack

2 Likes

I tried it but it didn't work for me (it uses the default function which did not boot my pc, my solution is implementing WOL without using it) and also it doesn't allow you to make advanced automation unless you create a virtual switch

1 Like

Interesting. For my PC(Asus Motherboard) I had to set WOL in the bios to get it to work.
Thank you for creating and sharing !

1 Like

Great job, works like a charm, thank you!
On an Alienware Aurora, in the BIOS I had to disable the "Deep Sleep" option before WoL could be activated.

1 Like

With pleasure, Enjoy :grinning:

1 Like

Hello!

Thank you for this app! Although I have some problems:
My Synology NAS and my PS5 are not turning on.

I added the right MAC address, I tried several ports, and I tried adding the IP address.

Any idea?

Hi @daniel5,
In order for WOL to work your devices need to support it and usually, you need to enable it.
I don't think ps5 supports it.
i seems like the ps has a wake function but it is not the usual WOL protocol

Nas: seems like you just need to enable it: Synology NAS tip - How to enable and use Wakeup On LAN - WOL - YouTube

If you have a pc that is usually running you can use "pc controller" and the tool i mentioned in the last comment to wake your ps5

Is there a way to make the child device turn off automatically? When using inside the hubitat app click "on" does not work. I have to go inside the hub and press on or wake on the device itself.

Looking at the drivers code I can see that its already a momentary device but for whatever reason the "devices" tab in the hubitat app sees it as a bulb. I ended up just using the button template in a dash board instead works just fine. Thank you @gilshallem for making a WOL for those of us who put our hubs in different vlans :slight_smile:

1 Like

This works great for turning on my QNAP NAS! I have the NAS set to automatically shut down five minutes after my UPS switches to battery. Hubitat then uses this to turn it back on when the power is restored after checking that the voltage at the wall is correct (in case of brown out).

2 Likes

Installed and configured easily. Works perfectly. Thank you!

1 Like

I love this App! I've had some trouble with my Smart TV. It kept dropping out of my WLAN, so I decided to put it directly onto the LAN. So far so good, but now my GH stopped turning it on, because it wasn't in my WLAN, so it couldn't find it... :roll_eyes:
Everything else worked, as soon as I turned it on, using my remote. Using this App I quickly created the WOL-device (took about 1 minute), then a virtual switch and another 30 sec. for the HE rule.
Then I forwarded the virtual switch to my GH, typed the routine, so that the TV can be turned on using voice command and voilà! Now everything works just perfect. A big “Thank You” to @gilshallem for this wonderful App!

1 Like

what is the difference between "On" and "wake" switches?

Installed this app to enable my Samsung TV to be turned on via Alexa voice command. Works great with the Samsung. I also set up my Apple TV on the same network for WakeOnLan with its MAC address. Unfortunately I can’t get the Apple TV to wake in response to the app request. I have tried ports 7, 9 and 0 without success.

Any ideas why this app would not work on an Apple TV?

1 Like

Per this bug report, I'd like to bring your attention to a minor (but repeatable) issue uncovered in WakeOnLan, which can cause its Child Device(s) to disappear.

See User App BUG: Clicking 'Cog' icon in Parent (User) App nullifies/deletes Child Device

Hi I have tried setting this up with google home it shows in the device list in the hub for google home but it does not make it to the google app

Not sure what did happen..but mine is not working anymore and can't wake up any of my computers. Anyone else seeing same issue?

Thanks for the app. This is working great for me. I've configured some picos to wake various devices including my SYNOLOGY NAS. Very handy!