Samsung Hubitat TV Integration (2016 and later)

I've just updated and now working fine :+1:

While on the subject of mute, do some TVs actually have discrete commands for mute and unmute?

On mine both mute and unmute simply toggle the existing condition regardless of current mute state.

Could the driver be modified to use the existing state of mute so that mute only mutes if not already muted and unmute vice versa? (I worry I don't have enough uses of the word mute in that sentence!)

I know I can do this with my own logic outside of the driver, but it would be a nice additional feature if the driver could do it automatically.

Actually, the mute-unmute is a requirement of the Hubitat Capability Samsung TV. In reality, for the remote interface both commands send the key Mute which will toggle the state on the TV.

See above. Consider both buttons as a toggle for mute. No need to check state - it will toggle the interface (same as on the physical remote control pressing the volume button straight down). The state mute is derived from the optional STs interface; therefore, I do not use it other than to display the mute status.

Source: The Source command is also a toggle using the key SOURCE. Pressing it once opens the Source window on the display. The second (and subsequent presses) go to the available sources, as indicated on the display.

Dashboard: Finally, the new version has added attributes and commands to make the device compatible with the "Music Player" tile in Hubitat Dashboards. It allows volume and mute control plus the left/right at the top are channel down/channel up. Finally, when using the digitalTV source, it displays the channel and channel name. See example several posts up.

Thanks for the explanation. Final question (I promise!) Should "show message" pop up a message on the TV screen and if so is it model dependant? Ive just tried with Test in the top text box but nothing shows up on my TV and the logs have the following error:

-07-26 02:57:45.204 pm errorgroovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: user_driver_davegut_Samsung_TV_Remote_510.showMessage() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String) values: [Test] Possible solutions: showMessage(java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object), sendMessage(java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object) (method showMessage)

Show message is NOT implemented. It is part of the Capability but there was no obvious way to code it. The error message you see is as good as any other to say it is not available.

1 Like

If the "On" function or WOL "Boot me up Scottie" doesn't work, try [[RELEASE] WAKE ON LAN - wake/boot up your computers via the hub]. Works great!

Thanks. I have read the documentation and have installed drivers and added devices before.
The issue is that the entire Hubitat experience is confusing for those that may only use it infrequently.

• By directing me to install the TV Integration with HPM, I figured it was an app (because HPM is in the apps section).
  • The additional info I needed was that I then needed to go to Devices and add a device. I did not understand this integration works by adding a device. Once I figured that out, it was much better.

Thanks for the great driver.

I have the latest 2022 Frame TV. Samsung seems to have removed some of the Art Mode support in 6.5 and above of Tizen. See the following articles....
https://github.com/tavicu/homebridge-samsung-tizen/issues/519#issuecomment-1123943174

https://github.com/tavicu/homebridge-samsung-tizen/wiki/Frame-TVs

Can't get the FrameTV button on the driver to work. Guessing that it's because of the above. Anyone got any hints?

Also can't get it to power on (power off works) on my model. Using the Wake On LAN hubitat app which seems to be working for power on.

Thanks

Paul

For on, the is a preference "enable alt WoL MAC. Select that as true and save preferences. Try again to turn on.

No luck with that option. Off button works fine just not the on. WoL hubitat driver does seem to be able to wake it up.

On the device's page, go down to the Device Detail section. It should have multiple entries that are used in operations of the system. For WOL, the following should exist in the format depicted by example.

• deviceMac: 64:a7:d8:a7:5d:a9
  • alternateWolMac: 64A7D8A75DA9

With the latest enhancements, I am thinking of modifying the code. If the user has selected preference "Connect to SmartThings for added functions", I can use the SmartThings on/off command vice WOL.

I am having an odd issue with my automation which I think is related to this driver.
My automation is set to turn a light off when the TV is turned off, if that light is on.

However, sometimes when the TV is on, the light will just randomly go off, and then go back on about a minute later. I looked in the device events for this driver, and found that it is reporting the TV switching off, and then back on about a minute later when in reality, there is no activity with the TV switch. At first I suspected user error in my household. But yesterday I observed it - the light went off, the tv remained on, the tv remote was sitting on the table untouched and I was definitely not in the Hubitat interface. Yet the event log states the TV was switched off and then back on less than a minute later. TV was never off in this time.

Any ideas what is causing this and more important, how to fix it?

Actually, none at all. I will examine in the next update.

Hi Everyone,

First question, regarding the Smartthing integration for this dever, could someone please advise how l obtain the 'SmartThings Device ID' to enable me to input this value into this driver.

Second question, has anyone been able get the 'ArtMode' button to put the Samsung Frame into Art Mode?

Also.. l am having the same issue as others have reported whereby the Frame TV is waking up from time to time going to one of the HDMI inputs instead of Art Mode - Very annoying

Thanks guys!

The instructions are on Github.

Once you enter the Samsung/Smartthings API key look in the Past logs for a list of all the Samsung Device IDs.

1 Like

I will look at these. I do not have a frame TV, so it will be a code review.

And even easier, get to the help pages by selecting the help function at the upper right corner of the device's page. It links to a GitHub page with links to all available manuals. When all else fails, read the instructions.

I’ve confirmed that the MAC addresses are in that format and that the mac address is the same as I’m using in the Ramdev WakeOnLan hubitat driver. For some reason I can power on the TV with that driver but not with this one.

Referring back to your comments about using the SmartThings API vs direct WOL. Would it be possible to use that same API to invoke ArtMode? Assuming that based on those other posts that the direct call to the TV has been removed.

Hi,

Yes, l have read the instruction but they don't entirely match up with what is being displayed on the screen
for example..
"on a seperate loggin page, you will need this in a minute"
What loggin page are they reffering to? Hubitat or SmartThings web site?

"Find you device on log page and copy deviceid"
Again.. which 'log page'? Hubitat logs section?

The instructions appear to be a bit outdated and don't really match

For the seperate log page, it is refering to a hubitiat log. It can can be the tvs specific log page or the current full log. You can even go into past logs to find the the ST Device IDs after the API key has been entered. Once you enter the ST/Samsung API key the hubitat logs listed above will show the ST Decive IDs of all the eligible devices in your ST/Samsung account if the API key is correct and Hubitat can sucessfully access the API.