I threw this together based of @ogiewon's Pushover driver for SendGrid. It's pretty basic but it gets the job done if you only need to send <100 messages/day and don't want to run your own SMTP server and don't have access to an app to do push notifications. You should also be able to email your SMS address with it, but I haven't tested that.
- This requires a SendGrid account; their free plan offers 100 emails/day
- You will also have to verify an email address to “send as”; if you use a free mail provider (@gmail, @yahoo, etc), there may be delivery issues because of DMARC - this works better if you own your own domain, do your own DNS, and can make changes to your domain to ensure delivery. Luckily, Sengrid gives you a way to see all emails you've sent so you can determine if this will work before you really need it.
- Create an API Key by going here and selecting CURL. Give it a name, create the key, then copy that key to the installation below. Leave this page open and go down to the installation then send a test. You should see it reflected in this page.
- Easiest install method is via Hubitat Package Manager (HPM)
- Drivers Code -> New Driver -> Import URL: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bdwilson/hubitat/master/Sendgrid/Sendgrid.groovy
- Go to Devices section and + Add Virtual Device (top right).
- Create a device name that will represent who you're going to be sending email To.
- Enter the API key and your verified to address in the preferences.
- Save and send a test notification from the driver itself.
- What our my other options instead of this app:
- I'd recommend native Pushover for notifications.
- HEMail - native HE system for talking SMTP, but doesn't support security.
- Native email; requires Node.JS app running on a local system
- Twillo - this requires a paid account.
- It says in the debug logs that the message was queued but I haven't seen it come through.
- Check your SPAM folder.
- Check the SendGrid Activity area to see if the notification was received.
26AUG2020: Added option for multiple recipients, option to BCC recipients, and option to send as high priority.
03SEP2020: Removed/replaced special chars & new lines in the message