While I appreciate the native SMS support, the 10 messages per day limit is becoming a problem. I was inspiring by @ogiewon's Pushover driver and decided to create one for Twilio.
If you haven't heard of Twilio, you have most likely been a recipient of one of their notifications. SmartThings uses them for SMS communications and I don't know for sure, but I suspect Hubitat may use them as well. They are the communications vehicle behind many of the SMS messages you receive from financial institutions and other companies and they offer voice and push type services as well.
I have experience integrating with them at work so setting up a driver was pretty straight forward. They offer a pay as you go cost model which is very cheap. At the time of this posting it will cost you around $1 per month for your own dedicated phone number and $0.075 per SMS message. So for around $2 per month you can receive over 1300 SMS messages. They have global support too!
To utilize this driver:
- Sign up for a Twilio account
- Fund the account via credit card or PayPal - $20 minimum unfortunately
- Purchase a phone number. They have agreements with carriers throughout the world so you can likely get a phone number in your country and area code.
- Capture your account's SID and Auth Token:
- Add the driver code to your HE hub.
- Create a new virtual device and set the type to Twilio Device.
- Enter the Twilio API Credentials into the Hubitat driver:
- Select your Twilio Phone Number in the driver and set your phone number. The phone number needs to be entered in E.164 format similar to how you have entered your phone number into Hubitat.
Once this is setup, you can select this new device in Rule Machine for notifications. The messages are logged as events too!
The driver can be found here: