[RELEASE] Ring Alarm Range Extender Gen2 driver

Just curious, what range extenders do you prefer?

Took me a minute to find, but this post sums it up.

If you're interested, the driver for the Aeotec can be found here:

2 Likes

Thanks. I have two of the Aeotec 6’s but when I switched to the C7 and Brian was recommending the Ring S2’s i originally picked up three of them and then two more. To tell you the truth I am not impressed with any of the ones I have but I am no scholar. I will read through the other thread for info. I know I have at least read part of it because I recognize the subject line.

1 Like

I've just pushed a minor update to the driver (1.3.0) to cover the situation of the power source (mains/battery) and battery state changing while the hub is down. This addresses the issue described here:

1 Like

added this line a couple of place in the battery report and the power report. as even when periodically doing a refresh no events appeared in the logs so hard to know if device is still working and i had one drop off my mesh

map.isStateChange = true

it appears the heardbeats are not working as i dont ever see them any ideas.

1 Like

I don't see how setting isStateChange to true will change anything for a device that has dropped off the network. Setting isStateChange to true forces an event to be considered as a state change even if the value itself has not changed. But if there are no packets actually received from the device there will be no calls to sendEvent().

If you want to know if a device has disappeared from the network, the best thing is to monitor the last activity time for the device. FWIW, I have an app specifically for that purpose, Simple Idle Alerts, which is part of the Simple Series of applications.

1 Like

Activity monitor didn't tell.me fir some reason..so.i looked at events. There is no.way to tell.in events if even in normal operation there are no events. So.this way i can look at events or write a specific rule.

Last Activity is different that Last Event. Last Activity is last Z-Wave activity, which includes the heartbeats (Last Event does not). I can't speak to Activity monitor, but the app I pointed you, Simple Idle Alerts, should be able to address your issue. It's what I use.

1 Like

Just got an update in HPM for this driver to version 1.3.0. However, I cannot find any release notes. Any idea what was addressed in the update?

5 posts above...

Okay.

Wow!, HPM was a little slow on this one if you did the update in April. I saw that the last activity in the forum was from June and did not scroll farther up because I just got notified about the update today.

My fault. I misunderstood the intent of the HPM creator/maintainer regarding versions in the schema. There are multiple places that version info can appear, and the place I had it appears to have caused HPM to ignore updates, possibly since the first version.

It Here are all the changes that have been happened in the driver:

// Version 1.0.0    Initial release.
// Version 1.1.0    Clean up log messages. Handle button push.
// Version 1.1.1    Mark seconds as a required input for power test.
// Version 1.2.0    Normalize logging.
// Version 1.2.1    Minor capitalization fix.
// Version 1.3.0    Add Initialize capability to cover PowerSource changes while hub not running.
2 Likes

Well, I never had cause to revisit the forum on this driver since I installed it initially. So, everything was working well enough on 1.0.0 LOL Just checking on this version so I would know what to look out for.

Hey all. Well I just ploughed thru about 100 posts on Ring Alarm Range Extender Gen 2 Driver and I would appreciate some advice.

Does the dennypage driver still offer benefits (e.g., Range test function, Power test function, Configurable battery report interval, Refresh covers power source (mains vs battery), Additional status/error reporting) over the standard driver ... or has the standard driver been updated to include these features?

I have my Ring Alarm Extender operational on a C7 hub, using the standard driver. What is the process to change over to the dennypage driver ... something like this, or please advise:

1. Use HPM to install dennypage driver
  2. In Hubitat Devices select the dennypage driver

What RM functions do I use to get access to:

1. Range test function
  2. Power test function
  3. Configurable battery report interval
  4. Refresh covers power source (mains vs battery) ... RM Power source of Ring Alarm
  5. Additional status/error reporting

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes

No

There is a step 1.5, install the user driver. HPM only loads the code.

Run Actuator on the device. I have 6 of the Ring Extender V2 on my hub, using @dennypage’s driver. Very happy, works perfectly.

I believe most people use the device page to do the various special things. I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of people writing a rule to do them regularly, but it should work. If not, put a line:

Capability: Actuator

Before the commands in the driver.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for the clear and concise answer :+1: Based on your response, and dennypage's excellent driver reviews, I decided to install the upgraded driver this morning.

I still need the installation process clarified as I get confused about the User Driver Install Sequence. In particular, "There is a step 1.5, install the user driver. HPM only loads the code." Hence the purpose of my initial post installation question.

Here is what I am seeing after my "installation" ...

After running HPM package installation, in the HE Drivers Code section, I already see a "// [Ring Alarm Range Extender gen2] ... Denny Page ..." as shown here

On the devices page I can select the driver and save, as shown here.

I see the new capabilities (I think) on the devices page.

What exactly (web link to instructions will probably work) do I need to do to accomplish "1.5 install the user driver." Because, after the HPM package installation, it appears to me that the driver is installed, and if not, I don't know where to find the driver (as opposed to if I downloaded the driver myself and saved it).

You are all set because the driver shows up.

OK ... thanks for confirming that I am good to go. :grinning:

From my "black box" point of view, I just want to make sure that I have it installed correctly. It is working well.

1 Like

Just installed the Ring Extender Gen 2 mainly to detect power outage. A little confused on this driver, Do I need to do a periodic refresh to see the change? It doesn't seem to show up otherwise. Or is that the purpose of the heartbeat which I should change to a lower value?

No. Test it by unplugging the Ring Extender, which sends a Z-Wave event on power loss and power restore. Trigger a Rule on power source if you want to do stuff on power fail. It’s a little more complex than that because a shutdown Hubitat will miss the power restore event as it reboots, but @dennypage’s driver manages that by scheduling a two-minute-delayed refresh after hub reboot. See discussion upthread.

2 Likes