[RELEASE] OwnTracks for Hubitat Presence Detection

Nice work!! This is fantastic!! Thank you!! More coffee $ coming your way! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Good reminder (pours more coffee for @lpakula)

3 Likes

Am I doing something wrong with HPM, I do Match Up and it only matches the driver, not the app so it wants to install another copy of the app code

Oh, that's a bit of a bummer! It seems like there's a conflict preventing it from working with Webcore, using the current name if I understand @nh.schottfam correctly. Could we explore the possibility of creating a clone named “otstatus”, with exactly the same data as “status” (direct link) for Webcore users? This could be a solution! What do you think?

I would really like to use "status" in my piston but as of now I can not.

Thanks for consider it.

Thank you for sharing this insight, @nh.schottfam! While I might not be deeply immersed in the development world and the intricacies of Webcore, your explanation sheds some light. If I understand correctly, the 'status' variable seems to be predefined for automatic functions, consistently displaying 'Play' or 'Stop.' Does this mean that developers looking to support their apps in Webcore might face challenges in using it for their specific needs? I'm eager to learn more about this and appreciate your guidance on the matter!

Edit
I believe I've found the answer to my question, @nh.schottfam and @lpakula Upon checking Live360+, the 'status' in Webcore consistently displays 'Play' and 'Stop,' aligning with my earlier screenshots. I hadn't utilized 'status' with that app, so I wasn't aware it had the same issue

@lpakula I fumbled around on GitHub looking at the iOS app. I don't think they publish the address information. Some asked a few years ago for it, but they declined in the interest of keeping data transfer low (hmmm...). I did see, though, that someone mentioned the Recorder is capable of doing reverse geocoding server-side? Wondering if that means, for those of us with iOS, we could install the recorder and pull the address into HE from the recorder? That would perhaps be an easier way to get the address, as opposed to adding reverse geocoding lookups in this integration for iOS folks.

you can use it in expressions as you showed for whatever purpose. For context sensitive IDE, it is challenging because of device variable 'redirection', that the IDE does not know what is in the device variable.

So various folks do this in their devices, but it creates ambiguity, that sometimes can be resolved and many times (device variables for example) cannot be resolved.

HE has been pretty good not to do this - leading by example.

I make a request on the iOS GitHub project for them to add this. I'll also check about doing the lookup in the HE app in the meantime (I don't know how often they release versions).

1 Like

NOICE! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh, simple fix. You need to go into the HE app, Regions, and select 'Home' again. It was a breaking change in a past release.

Noted that it's throwing errors though -- should be more graceful on that -- I'll fix that.

Thanks @nh.schottfam, my hope is @lpakula considers

proving a clone for use with Webcore.

Edit:
Thinking an Alias is a better word to describe this, not a clone.

Oh shoot.. Pie eyed when I typed that original message. I meant "I DON'T think 'Status' is the best name for it'.

I'll query a jury of my peers today and see if they have a suggestion for an attribute that displays a place + time.

It can be anything other than 'status' for a name. If you are having issues, others will have issues, and the question about it will just get raised again.

I haven't found them to be overly responsive to changes either. Let me investigate 'Plan B' of having the HE app doing the looking on incoming locations.

I'm using the regular 'Recorder', but don't see any address info. I have the code pulled down, and will take a look tonight around this, but regardless, Google does have an API to do the check and it can be done in HE (phone was just cleaner since it's linked and done with each location).

1 Like

Yup, I have used the geocoding API in my MultiPlace app and it works well.

1 Like

:joy: Thanks for clearing that up! An Alias reference from 'status' would be just as awesome. I find my words flow more smoothly after indulging in two cups of morning coffee. (my earlier wording left a lot to be desired). Cheers! :coffee:

Let me take a look!

I loved to use MultiPlace. Is there a chance to get this to work with OwnTrack? Due to the fact Life360 isn't working it would be nice to use MultiPlace in combination with OwnTrack!

Will I still run into the map not working because I don't have the Google api key set up?
Unlike the Playstore one that does?

Glad you like it. Yes, I will update MultiPlace to work with OwnTracks once OwnTracks is at a stable state, or at least when reverse geocoding is implemented so that OwnTracks has addresses like Life360 did.

2 Likes

Yes, the custom version of the app does not include the Google Maps API key. It's the same as the previous version. Use the Play Store version if you want to use Google Maps w/out having to go through the steps required to add the Google Maps API key to @lpakula's custom version of the Android app.