Release 2.2.2.129 broke Schlage locks?

The 2.2.2.129 update caused my 469 locks to stop working. I rebooted my hub and they started working again (at least for the time being). Perhaps an easy fix?

Same issue. I tried rolling back - only had options for 2.2.2.126 and 2.2.2.125 - still nothing.

I'll get a battery update, but the locked status has not changed. No other communication with the lock seems to be working.

tagging @bobbyD and @mike.maxwell

I fully recognize that this is low priority given:

1. Officially these locks are no longer supported
  2. There's likely an overwhelming amount of feedback coming in from Wink and other platform migrations and the C-7s getting into the market

Just wanted to make sure y'all saw some of folks were running into issues (potentially) with the Schlage 469s after the 2.2.2.129 update

As always, we appreciate all you do!

1 Like

Nobody likes to hear this, but I haven't had any problems with any of my 3 Schlage locks. I just tried all 3 to verify.

I rolled back to an earlier release and my lock worked. Reinstalled the update and the lock has continued to work so fart........ will continue to monitor it.

A quick idea to try for your lock after you update to latest release. Although we were unable to replicate, some users had success restoring functionality of the lock by changing its type to "Generic Z-Wave Lock", then hitting update and then switching back to the Schlage driver (clicking update and following up by clicking "Configure").

2 Likes

@bcopeland
So I was on 2.2.1.116, and my Schlage lock worked perfectly. Upgraded to 2.2.2.129 and could not lock/unlock from the Device page or a Dashboard tile. Rebooted the Hub - with same result. Rolled back to .116 and it worked 100%. Upgraded to 129 again, with the same problem - lock is now non-functional.

Bottom line - one of the upgrades/hotfixes between 1.116 and 2.129 broke my lock functionality. Please resolve.

Did you try what @bobbyD recommended in the post above yours?

I think (not 100% sure) that @april.brandt got her Schlage locks functional with 2.2.2.129 using the process outlined by @bobbyD.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it multiple times, with no success. Even the Events and Logs show nothing - no attempt/hanging/delay. Just zilch.

That's really unfortunate. It seems to be mesh and/or firmware dependent because @bobbyD said that Hubitat engineers were unable to replicate the issue.

No I don't buy that. Nothing changed in the Mesh and/or lock firmware from 1.116 to 2.129. I can replicate the issue at will by rolling back/upgrading between the two releases. This is a classic example of HE upgrades breaking something else, and is the reason why I do not upgrade the moment a new release is put out, since it will invariably be followed by x number of hotfixes . . . :frowning:

I'm in the process of moving from SmartThings to Hubitat and I have 2 of the Schlage BE469's. I am on 2.2.2.129 and while I did have some issues with lock code manager that was my error (with a bad error message that made it take awhile for me to figure out) I have moved 1 of the two locks off of ST successfully. I'm migrating devices out from the center of the house so that last lock will be a bit before I get to the last one.

You might try resetting the lock totally and pair it back again dunno if that would make it worse or not.

I don't buy this either. The lock has been working fine for an extended length of time through multiple upgrades - until the most recent - so I fail to see why I should try an resolve something that HE broke. As I mentioned above I can replicate this issue at will by switching between the releases, and it is clear that an upgrade broke it. Yes, Schlage locks have been known to be problematic, but - as I mentioned - mine has been working fine for a long time. So Hubitat needs to provide a hotfix and/or correct whatever it is they broke . . . .

@flotsam1 I have a schlage BE469 on .129 and it works fine. The symptoms mimic that of a weak mesh. If it was working PRIOR to the update, all you have to do is swap the driver to a generic driver/save/configure then swap back to the built in driver/save/configure. I rebooted my lock and gave it a spin a few times manually after doing so and it started communicating. It's a tiny bug that's not on the list just yet because there are much bigger issues.

I worked directly with HE staff, and can confirm this works, but my lock was rock solid PRIOR to the updates. I have 3 Z-Wave locks, 3 repeaters, lots of mains devices and my mesh is stable and solid.

1 Like

@april.brandt
I have tried swapping to the Generic Z Wave lock driver workaround - nothing. I have multiple repeaters and a solid mesh - as evidenced by the fact that I have not needed to mess with this lock for almost a year and a half now. I have manually deleted all codes in the lock, reset the code length to 4 (since I was using 6) - nada. The only way I could get it to work was by rolling back to 1.116 (confirmed about 5 times . . . ) Not that it is a code or code length issue since I cannot lock/unlock from the Devices page or a Dashboard tile - it is just basic functionality that is lost. So from my perspective something in the upgrade broke it, and all the workaround suggestions do not resolve it.

Since I am able to replicate it at will by rolling back/upgrading, @bobbyD is welcome to reach out to me to obtain traces/logs/troubleshoot/whatever. For now I am good since I am back on 1.116, but at some point in time I would want to upgrade to a stable, fully functional release when needed (we can only hope . . . :slight_smile: )

Having said that, I work in the telecom industry where 5 x 9s reliability and uptime (99.999%) is a requirement and non-negotiable. Even though the Schlage locks have been know to struggle with HE (and not Wink whence I came from), any firmware upgrade should NOT exacerbate any underlying vulnerability. If this were to happen, then - while a workaround might solve the issue temporarily - it does not detract from the fact that the upgrade is at fault and not the original deficiency. My 2c . . . . :slight_smile:

I don't have time to go through the thread and read everything you've tried by have you tried loading the clean device driver by BorrisTheCat, run that and then back to the default and then reboot and spin the lock a few times? Maybe something is stuck. If you don't have it, let me know i'll point you to it.

I'm finding my communication is spotty, and so believe I may have a different issue than others.

I seem to get notifications on lock/unlock activity sometimes. I tried changing a code after the current upgrade using Lock Manager, it added a new one instead of changing it. I'm unable to remove codes from the device settings. I have one user I cannot ever add - always fails in the app.

Nothing seems to log, even with debug logging on.

When I look under ZWAVE Devices - It shows a Last Sent of this morning, but a last received of yesterday. I've tried "Repair Zwave" and no change.

I've tried changing drivers and back.

I'm currently on 2.2.3.119.

I will concur that I never had a single issue with Wink.

How far is the lock from your Hub and do you have any repeaters in between? My lock is about 14 feet from the Hub and I have no issues at all. Regarding the user you cannot add, was the code already in the lock before you moved it over to Hubitat? The previous user codes will not show up as being set and if you try to add them to the lock it will fail. I had to clear the codes from the lock panel directly first and then all was good. From what people have said, it appears the antennas are not as strong in this Hub as other Hubs so distance is more of a factor with this one. I haven't had any issues connecting to it so far however.

A few questions:
(1) what model Hubitat Hub do you have?
(2) if it’s the C-7, have you done the Z-Wave stack update?
(3) which model Schlage lock do you have? BE468NX/BE469NX (Z-Wave), or the BE468ZP/BE469ZP (Z-Wave Plus) ?
(4) What version lock firmware do you have? Some of the earlier firmware versions of the BE468NX/BE469NX are problematic.

From your description, it sounds like you might have weak mesh issues, might need a Z-Wave beaming repeater at the lock and at the Hubitat Hub. I’m using Aeotec Range Extender 7 repeaters, which really helped. The C-7 has a 700 series Z-Wave chip, which has greater range. I’m running on a C-5 now with 2.2.3.119, my C-7 arrives Monday. I had two BE469NX locks, replaced one with BE469ZP a week ago, other one gets replaced Monday.

One final point: the BE469ZP (probably the BE469NX, too) has an oddity about user lock codes in that the lock code cannot match the first 4 digits of the Programming Code (first 6 digits if you have set a longer user lock code length). Perhaps that is tripping you up trying to add the user & code.

I reset the lock when I added it to the hub.

The hub is about 20 feet away in the laundry room near the front of the house. I just tried adding a Zwave switch in between the hub and the front door. The switches are seen just fine (one is all the way in the back patio). I'm beginning to think it is more the lock than the hub.

To test distance, I just moved the hub to within 4 feet of the lock. Still nada...

I think I'll reset the lock and start from scratch and see if that helps.