Release 2.2.2.129 broke Schlage locks?

@april.brandt
I have tried swapping to the Generic Z Wave lock driver workaround - nothing. I have multiple repeaters and a solid mesh - as evidenced by the fact that I have not needed to mess with this lock for almost a year and a half now. I have manually deleted all codes in the lock, reset the code length to 4 (since I was using 6) - nada. The only way I could get it to work was by rolling back to 1.116 (confirmed about 5 times . . . ) Not that it is a code or code length issue since I cannot lock/unlock from the Devices page or a Dashboard tile - it is just basic functionality that is lost. So from my perspective something in the upgrade broke it, and all the workaround suggestions do not resolve it.

Since I am able to replicate it at will by rolling back/upgrading, @bobbyD is welcome to reach out to me to obtain traces/logs/troubleshoot/whatever. For now I am good since I am back on 1.116, but at some point in time I would want to upgrade to a stable, fully functional release when needed (we can only hope . . . :slight_smile: )

Having said that, I work in the telecom industry where 5 x 9s reliability and uptime (99.999%) is a requirement and non-negotiable. Even though the Schlage locks have been know to struggle with HE (and not Wink whence I came from), any firmware upgrade should NOT exacerbate any underlying vulnerability. If this were to happen, then - while a workaround might solve the issue temporarily - it does not detract from the fact that the upgrade is at fault and not the original deficiency. My 2c . . . . :slight_smile:

I don't have time to go through the thread and read everything you've tried by have you tried loading the clean device driver by BorrisTheCat, run that and then back to the default and then reboot and spin the lock a few times? Maybe something is stuck. If you don't have it, let me know i'll point you to it.

I'm finding my communication is spotty, and so believe I may have a different issue than others.

I seem to get notifications on lock/unlock activity sometimes. I tried changing a code after the current upgrade using Lock Manager, it added a new one instead of changing it. I'm unable to remove codes from the device settings. I have one user I cannot ever add - always fails in the app.

Nothing seems to log, even with debug logging on.

When I look under ZWAVE Devices - It shows a Last Sent of this morning, but a last received of yesterday. I've tried "Repair Zwave" and no change.

I've tried changing drivers and back.

I'm currently on 2.2.3.119.

I will concur that I never had a single issue with Wink.

How far is the lock from your Hub and do you have any repeaters in between? My lock is about 14 feet from the Hub and I have no issues at all. Regarding the user you cannot add, was the code already in the lock before you moved it over to Hubitat? The previous user codes will not show up as being set and if you try to add them to the lock it will fail. I had to clear the codes from the lock panel directly first and then all was good. From what people have said, it appears the antennas are not as strong in this Hub as other Hubs so distance is more of a factor with this one. I haven't had any issues connecting to it so far however.

A few questions:
(1) what model Hubitat Hub do you have?
(2) if it’s the C-7, have you done the Z-Wave stack update?
(3) which model Schlage lock do you have? BE468NX/BE469NX (Z-Wave), or the BE468ZP/BE469ZP (Z-Wave Plus) ?
(4) What version lock firmware do you have? Some of the earlier firmware versions of the BE468NX/BE469NX are problematic.

From your description, it sounds like you might have weak mesh issues, might need a Z-Wave beaming repeater at the lock and at the Hubitat Hub. I’m using Aeotec Range Extender 7 repeaters, which really helped. The C-7 has a 700 series Z-Wave chip, which has greater range. I’m running on a C-5 now with 2.2.3.119, my C-7 arrives Monday. I had two BE469NX locks, replaced one with BE469ZP a week ago, other one gets replaced Monday.

One final point: the BE469ZP (probably the BE469NX, too) has an oddity about user lock codes in that the lock code cannot match the first 4 digits of the Programming Code (first 6 digits if you have set a longer user lock code length). Perhaps that is tripping you up trying to add the user & code.

I reset the lock when I added it to the hub.

The hub is about 20 feet away in the laundry room near the front of the house. I just tried adding a Zwave switch in between the hub and the front door. The switches are seen just fine (one is all the way in the back patio). I'm beginning to think it is more the lock than the hub.

To test distance, I just moved the hub to within 4 feet of the lock. Still nada...

I think I'll reset the lock and start from scratch and see if that helps.

Ok, then the next step needs to be to delete the two default user codes that the reset installed into the first two lock positions, so you start out with no lock codes. It’s possible you are trying to add a lock code that already is in one of the positions.

What driver are you now using?

Hub: Rev C-5
Schlage: BE469IR
Schlage Firmware: Main_8.0

I'm using the Schlage BE468/BE469 driver in Hubitat.

I bought the hub new in May directly from Hubitat.

I had two GE (Jasco) switches that I just plugged in last week - both are ZWAVE-PLUS. Those have both been removed now.

So now it's just Lock and Hub within four feet of each other.

Everything seemed fine before the upgrade to 2.2.2.129. Rolling back didn't help me though.

Factory reset on the lock - communication restored.

I can’t find that lock on the Schlage website, only the BE469NX and BE469ZP, both of which I have. Looks like I can’t be any further help, then.

It seems the IR is for IRIS... it was bought at Lowes.

Even though communication worked on reset. I was able to delete the two default codes and then nada after that.

No matter what code settings I attempt to apply (either through device or Lock Manager App) I get:
UserCodeReport- unable to enter code, it is in use on the lock

I'm thinking the lock is just a glitchy lock.

EDIT: Changing the PIN length back to 4 allows me to create codes... not ideal, but working

Is that report accurate? Is the code in use on the lock? Does the lock open if you use that code? Do you get a green check as each digit is pressed? Does the code happen to be the same as the start of the 6-digit Programming Code? See discussion above about how this is prohibited.

Checked all that... it was related to the pin length setting.

Glad you got it sorted out. Still suggest a beaming repeater - the Schlage locks seem to need that with Hubitat.

Appreciate the guidance... my issue may have been different.

Hope others on this thread get their stuff sorted out.

Simply FYI, that’s not one of the firmwares that have given people problems (well, not more than the usual Schlage issues).

Hate to necro a thread, but was having issues migrating the Schlage BE469 from Wink and had a couple quick lessons-learned that may help others searching in the forums.

First, dive in assuming you'll need a hard reset of the lock. Before doing so, I was able to remove it from Wink, then add it to HE, but while it was reading all status indicators fine, I wasn't able to actually control the lock at all. An exclusion from Hubitat, followed by a hard reset and a re-connect worked.

Second, my Schlage took overnight to "fully connect" with Hubitat. May have been as I added ~5 Z-Wave devices in one day and apparently it is the most temperamental of them despite being 5' from the hub. So, if it doesn't work right away, don't burn time playing with it as I did. Connect it, if you've added a bunch of other Z-Wave devices the same day consider running a "Repair Z-Wave", walk away, and it very well may work perfectly the next day.

Finally, I was trying to use Lock Code Manager to add codes and I also was getting the "unable to enter code, it is in use on the lock" error in the logs. I could add/delete 4 digit codes no problem. What I finally figured out is that whenever I try and "Set Code Length" via Hubitat, the lock wouldn't take the change regardless of whether I had manually deleted all of the 4 digit codes from it. I found I had to change the code length manually on the lock using its programming code. If you want 7 digit access codes it's: Schlage button - PROGRAMMING CODE - 8 - 7 - 7. Replace both 7s with whatever length you want yours. I then was able to use Lock Code Manager entering 7 digit codes without issue.

Also a reminder that the Schlage is specifically programmed to not reply with the actual lock codes in it, rather it replies with "????". That's not a Hubitat thing, but a security measure Schlage fundamentally coded into the product. So, extra helpful to use Lock Code Manager to manage the codes in it.

1 Like