[Re-release] Hubitat Ring Integration (Unofficial)

Thanks for highlighting this @Bloodtick_Jones Looks like this is going to happen regularly until this issue is fixed. My restart basically lasted a week before the websocket went down again...

Testing 2.3.9.181 beta now for ~20hr and it has been solid. I normally saw errors within that span, so hopefully the Hubitat team has this solved and can release early week.

I am having a problem that it seems like other people have had, where the websocket has disconnected and will not reconnect.

I'm not sure if this is coincidence or not, but I am suspicious about this being an authentication/token issue, because it worked for almost exactly 60 hours:

Here is a screenshot of the logs for the Ring API virtual device:

Looking at the logs, line 425 of the device driver can be found here.

Adding some additional debug logging to the code, I discovered that "parent" is undefined (not null, but undefined). The app somehow got deleted. Reinstalling everything fixed it but I had to recreate all of my automations, dashboard, etc..

I really don't think I deleted the app, so I'm not sure what to think.

Have you tried doing a repair with HPM or manually re-adding the app and configuring?

No I didn't, and it's too late now. I deleted everything and started fresh and it is still working. So as much as I hate to admit it, I'm assuming that I accidentally deleted the app myself.

There appears to be a bug in this app code which overly restricts which cameras are eligible for polling. I'm using polling because I don't want to pay $12/month for IFTTT Pro for the admittedly more efficient webhook relay. I've submitted a fix for the bug here. We'll see if it gets merged!

I use IFTTT Pro is $2.92/month which allows 20 applets, which is plenty of applets for my Hubitat needs and other needs.

I dislike having to pay IFTTT the few dollars a month for their webhook integration, but my Ring system, which I pay $100/year for unlimited camera is also a drip charge I dislike.

I will be interested is testing your "free" polling enhancement in hopes of dropping IFTTT charges....

@KurtSanders - FWIW, I've eliminated IFTTT for this integration in lieu of using a free Alexa Skill that Ring has, which has been incredibly reliable. See here: [Re-release] Hubitat Ring Integration (Unofficial) - #444 by SoundersDude

Oh, I misread the price. It's Pro+ that is $12/month. I feel a little better about that at least. I would ideally also like to avoid the cloud dependency, but if we're relying on Ring's motion tracking, I'm sure that's done on the cloud anyway, so it's just a question of what cloud service(s) we want to rely on. And I'm not about to go get an NVidia Jetson or something just for this.

I ended up activating the Pro trial to see how the IFTTT method works. The constant polling was causing 43% business on device stats for my HE.

This websocket issue just hit me again today, this rule saved me, thank you.

Question, anyone figure out a way to get it back and connected outside of a reboot? "refresh" didn't do it, now wondering if 'initialize' or something else would mimic the reboot without going that far.

I'm having this issue myself...wondering if there ever was a fix for it. I've tried it all:

  • repaired/uninstalled via HPM
  • removed any related devices
  • deleted the apps code

Nothing works. Any ideas?

I had some home networking issues during the day today, and it disconnect without my knowledge. I only learned about it when I got the rule’s notification that it was rebooting the hub. That, followed by the « initialize() » fixed it for me. I’m not aware of any other solution at this point… Maybe there’s an endpoint to restart the network, but if so, I don’t know what it is…

Hi all, I have just replaced my ring pro doorbell with the new battery doorbell and i cant get it to pull through on my integration. Has anyone else had issues with the newly released doorbell? or can anyone advise how i could resolve?
Thanks!

I'm a new user and set up this integration. Just like @SoundersDude, about 2 days after, the websocket closed and the Integration app was no longer installed. Deleted the API device, reinstalled integration app, and set up this rule to (fingers crossed) avoid it dropping in the future. Mine died at 4am, so I'm 1000% sure I didn't uninstall the app.

Do I know what or why I did what I did? No! But I can follow directions!

You shouldn't need to do this, only reboot your hub. Or set up a rule like Sebatstien did for that to happen automatically. I set up a partial rule, used the first part of his rule to send me a notification for me to manually reboot. Mostly out of laziness and to understand how often this happens. (not very often it turns out)

Correct, I don't think the delete and reinstall was necessary in the end, but just rebooting manually didn't fix it at first. I'm guessing it was because the websocket variable wasn't cleared, but like I mentioned, I'm not too familiar with hubitat, yet.

I will be honest and not sure if they ever work as I am trying as I use multiple different motion sensors to ensure motion is captured. I added a new Motion Detector recently, this shows motion as active when it is triggered, but it doesn't run any of the automations that it is set to trigger - is this as expected? Or should the ring motion detectors be able to trigger automations?

Trying to setup your reboot for the websocket, but can't figure out how to get the last command in - reboot on the hub. Can you provide a little guidance there?

Sure! I installed @thebearmay’s Hub Information Driver:

With it, I created a device that allows easy control of my hub, including a reboot.