Power goes off, lights come on?

To use hue and for this to work do i need to buy there hub or anything?

My sengled element classics turn off within 5 seconds of being powered on again in a normal ceiling fan fixture, I'm not sure what issue you all are having. I have 4 of the bulbs.

Yes, in order to get the Power Restore option for Philips Hue bulbs, one must pair the bulbs to a Philips Hue bridge. That bridge is then integrated with Hubitat over your local LAN (i.e. no cloud connection is used.)

Pairing the bulbs to a Hue bridge also allows these bulbs to receive firmware updates AND work directly with Apple HomeKit, Google Home, Amazon Alexa, and Logitech Harmony Hub remote controls. The Philips Hue bridge is a very reliable little piece of hardware, and Philips has even stated that they will support Matter in the future with a firmware upgrade of the Hue bridge.

3 Likes

Trust me that is not the case with the element color plus bulbs. It appears that at least part of the problem is that the color bulb doesnā€™t communicate to the hub that itā€™s ā€œonā€ when power is restored, thus the hub doesnā€™t know to send an off command. Feeling blessed that I only have 2 of them in use.

1 Like

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking abt the on/off/dim versions, not color.

@david9723 Lifx & WiZ & Shelly bulbs also have this feature, but they connect over LAN to habitat and dont need a hub/bridge.

Almost every zigbee lightbulb that can connect to zigbee, with a few exceptions (one appears to be sengled) can be configured to turn off a couple seconds after being given power by habitat. If you are curious what a functioning setup looks like, I took a video of me powering on one of my GE Quirky zigbee bulbs:

@Abhijeet_Ghosh Did you mean to tag me into this this thread? or was a mis-type?

Not sure if you knew but by design, most bulbs return to an on state after power failure while most switches default to an off state.

To address the update of the hub, there is a puller application that is frequently used with GE switches (older ones) that can help get a status update of the hardware. You can define the devices to pull and the frequency...

1 Like

They do, itā€™s the router. Not everyone wants to put that many bulbs on their router, and most probably donā€™t have a high end mesh system appropriate for doing so. I understand the appeal for those that do, but I think it brings an unknown factor (the router) into the mix, especially if problems arise.

3 Likes

Sorry, i tagged you by mistake. I do know abt the default, i was just stating how almost every zigbee bulb can function similar to a bulb with a customizable power-on state due to the custom HE detector for on & quick offing with the advanced bulb driver.

1 Like

It's extra expense but in my experience well worth it. Not only does it get bulbs onto their own network, which makes for efficiency, but the Hue lights themselves are visibly superior to many other cheaper brands

2 Likes

Definitely a personal option there :joy:. Personally having seen used multiple brand's of lamps smart and otherwise over the years in the industry I would say Philips is massively overacted and expensive.

For smart zigbee lamps have much better quality products and at a better price from inner and aurora.

Bottom of my list is Philips lamps I have, then osram. Top is inner. Few other good ones as well, but inner do some really good firmware aswell it seems as I can get a lot more extra out of them fully using the 3.0 features.

Philips hue is still ZIGBEE LL

I agree with you on Osram. Bottom of my list too!

Can you give more details on how the hue hub is integrated with Hubitat?

Sure, please take a look at the following Hubitat Documentation. It is really very simple to add your Hue bridge connected LIGHTS to Hubitat using the built-in Hue integration.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hue_Bridge_Integration

If you would prefer a more advanced integration with the Philips Hue bridge, there are at least two Community developed integrations which I believe offer more features and may take advantage of some recent Hue Bridge API performance enhancements.

The first one is CoCoHue by @bertabcd1234

And the second one is the Advanced Hue Bridge Integration by @armand

1 Like

When I was actively using Hubitat, I had a rule that would store the state of all the bulbs every half hour.
When it detected a hub startup event, it would restore the lights to the last stored state.

thanks for that.

Has anyone tired using the Sengled hub? I was looking to update there bulbs seems you need there hub to do so and maybe there is a setting in there to stay off after power outage.

I have an old Sengled hub back from when I bought my first pair of RGBW Sengled bulbs. Yes, it can update the firmware of the bulbs (although I have never heard anyone mention of a specific reason/fix that warranted doing so). Itā€™s has been a few years, but as I recall, there is not option to configure the default power restore state of the build. Also, once a bulb is removed from the Sengled hub and joined/paired to the Hubitat hub, those settings would be wiped out and reset to factory defaults to allow Hubitat to send its own configuration settings.

The Sengled hub does not offer any means for Hubitat to be integrated with it, so itā€™s only real use is for bulb firmware updates, FWIW.

1 Like

Well it was worth a try, guess i am forced to buy HUE and a there HUB if i want lights to stay off.

I get power outages every week it seems.

1 Like

You can update Sengled bulbs on Hubitat...I and others have updated ours since Zigbee FW update was added.

You have to use the "legacy" version of the Sengled driver appropriate for your bulb, which has the FW update option.

2022-05-01 07_53_20-Chrome Main

The white bulbs do seem to respect the setting for power state after a power loss/recovery, but the color bulbs do not. My color bulbs were updated and don't handle returning from power loss properly. So for white bulbs it should work.

2 Likes

I switched to Hue for this very reason, for controlling all my lighting. I use Inovelli switched and dimmers, and Hue lights. I setup the Inovelli for instant on/off (set ramp up to 0s), then I configure the hue bulb to turn on when power is restored, and to set the color/temp/brightness to a specific setting.

I also have Inovelli set to use last known state when power is restored. So, I use the light switch to turn my lights on/off like a normal light, local control is disabled, and I use a button controller that says when button 1 pressed (tap up) to turn on the Inovelli switch, and when button 1 is held (tap down) to turn off the switch. If I lose the hub, I lose local control, but is enables me use the dimmer to control the light brightness.
Hubitat will report the switch is off and the light is on, but that is a hue quirk, and now that I updated the Hubitat code for my integration, I could use the reachability status to assume off stateā€¦ this may be a an update soon actually.

In this way, I have control over the bulbs behavior when turned on/off, and they donā€™t draw standby power while off, because the dimmer turned them off, but the dimmer still draws power, so maybe not as efficient as one might hope, unless you have multiple lights in the room (which I do) on a single switch. Either way, a hue system does allow official hue lights to have a default power on state, for when power is restored.