[No Longer Maintained] Withings Integration

I’ll update the link. It’s not actually something I ever finished up.

Hubitat always displays them alphabetically. Drivers don’t have a way to customize this. This would require a Hubitat firmware change.

@dman2306 can correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m certain that this app already takes the change into account. Looking at the code, it uses the new endpoints associated with the change.

Yup you're correct, the change was introduced a few months ago.

4 Likes

Any idea why 2 of my 4 sleep pads would be reporting presence events but not sleep score (in the event log)?

Anything in logs?

No, but apparently redoing the authentication steps in the HE app reset things to working order. Strange that it lost its way for only 2 of 4 sensors. All working for now tho, and at least that's the first time it's happened ever.

It looks like Dominic just put an abbreviated header into each file, either unintentionally or intentionally. There's no license information, just a copyright notice. I'm not sure where that leaves this integration. Does anyone have a way to get in touch with Dominic to see if he can clarify this integration's license status, e.g., under Apache 2.0 so we can continue development?

EDIT: I forked and submitted a pull request on Github to clarify the license status.

2 Likes

I can’t seem to get any clarification on the license for this integration. Not answering issues or pull requests on GitHub. Anyone else have any ideas? Otherwise this integration is going to lead to a dead end when it needs revising to fix an API change.

@csteele Do you know what @dman2306's position is regarding his apps since you took over HPM?

Not a lawyer, but 2 ways I can think to approach this:

1. Use the code as an abandoned work as it is marked “No Longer Maintained”

2. Use it as the source for a derivative work
    a) Would need to acknowledge the original copyright

b) dman2306 would retain all rights to the original code and may have some rights to the deriviative

I actually happen to be an IP attorney…without any granting of a license, we can’t do any of that. At least not legally. I saw in one of his posts for HPM that made it sound like he just didn’t even think about a license, so I suspect it is just an oversight on his part. Just proving challenging to get in touch with him.

2 Likes

There’s the problem … :rofl:

5 Likes

Ha, at least I’m not chasing ambulances! I just wish I had noticed this license issue earlier. Since using HPM, I haven’t had to even look at the code, so didn’t think about it. Maybe that was his plan all along with HPM :rofl:

4 Likes
1 Like

He did explain his License in the last line of that message. And again:

This is a Withings Topic and I'll note that there's no License added in his Github repo for that code.

1 Like

As a layman I think that last bit answers @JustinL 's question.

1 Like

Well, as @csteele suggested, that last bit gives us good insight into Dominic's intent for licensing the HPM app, but isn't dispositive on Dominic's intent for licensing the Withings integration. If I read between the lines, I think Dominic would / will license the Withings integration in the same way as HPM, but he hasn't actually done so yet. Hopefully Dominic will respond to my github pull request / issue soon.

2 Likes

Facebook Things GIF

1 Like

Heard from Dominic on github. He’s indeed going to apply BSD to this integration as well. :+1:t2:

11 Likes

Dominic just accepted my pull request on GitHub to add the BSD-3 license. So it’s officially open source and able to be maintained by anyone able and willing!

8 Likes