[BETA] Hubitat Package Manager

Can't really think of an ideal way to do that. You could make a single package that includes Driver A as required and Driver B is optional. That's the best option I can think of right now.

4 Likes

G'day @dman2306,

Had another idea when I was manually updating some of my packages this evening, when I go through the manual Update option in the app, I am initially told, for each package that has an update, the version I am on and the version that is available. Like many dev's, my release notes in the package manifest typically lists out the progression of different versions and the changes they introduce. I though it would be useful to display the version of a package currently installed in the page that displays the release notes, so a user can understand what changes will be introduced on their system. I'll take a screenshot next chance I get to show you what I mean, if that helps.

Simon

I wonder if Hubitat staff had reached out to the OP for possibility to join forces yet? I think this is one of the most valuable apps out are. I cannot imagine going back to installing apps on Hubitat without this package manager app and it's ecosystem.
It would be super nice to have it as part of built in apps.

3 Likes

Why improve on perfection... :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Can you tell I have a feature request in....

I agree, HPM is a must for any new users. Copy and pasting the raw version of .... what...?? To have it built-in and a default install for any new hub wouldn't do it justice.

I can only assume that HE staff feel that HPM covers the needs of users who want to install bespoke apps and drivers. Or they are more likely focused on features they are best placed to deliver on.

Simon

My only current reasoning is, that I hope the current developer does not one day loose interest, or walk away. I wish HPM remains a core part of Hubitat experience. As a user, when I read about an application/driver which I need, I dont need to weed through a loooong forum post to find the correct version to download. HPM gives me the latest version, with all its parts correctly downloaded and installed. Plus, it allows me to easily check for updates to all the dozens of things installed.

1 Like

Hmm a screenshot would be great, I'm not sure I understand the request so that would help.

Nope. That said, I've kind of also made it clear that I'm not really interested in that. At the same time, the code is released under the BSD 3.0 license so as long as they respect that license they'd be free to take my code, change it up, etc. without even telling me.

8 Likes

Hi @dman2306,

Here is what I was talking about the other day. When I manually choose to check for updates in the HPM app and one is detected, the first screen shows the version I have installed, and the current version available in my repository:

It's the installed version I am keen to see on the next screen, where the release notes are displayed, perhaps next to the title of the package?

Thanks,
Simon

Staff have also made it pretty clear over time that they would prefer not to get into the business of officializing (if that’s a word :upside_down_face:) community developer code for drivers and apps.

Built-in apps and drivers can receive updates with new platform versions. For those of us that use custom apps and drivers, the responsibility is still on us to decide how and when to install updated versions.

1 Like

Howdy. I've added a package to package manager, but it isn't showing up when searching for packages. Does this suggest I have something wrong with the manifest file?

Please see the following repo: https://github.com/jakelehner/Hubitat

Nothing comes back in Hubitat package when searching for "Wyze" or "WyzeHub", however I was able to match the app once installed manually and have HPM install the remaining drivers.

Forget how often it rebuilds keywords but may need to give it few hours

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jakelehner/Hubitat/master/repositories.json

This file is incorrect. The tags should be an array but you have it as a string.

"tags": "Lights & Switches",
should be
"tags": ["Lights & Switches"],

You'll notice there are a lot of warnings getting thrown for your repo:

Try fixing that and we can see what happens.

1 Like

That did it :+1:

1 Like

Now the package shows up, but two of the drivers don't download or install. The "plug" and "plug group". At initial glance all looks ok and the github links appear valid.

Will troubleshoot more later.

Did you check the logs?

Edit: Actually, you have duplicate ids in your file. Those have to be unique.

:unamused:

The ID's were it. And no, there was nothing in the logs this time.

2 Likes

Hi @dman2306,

I'm a huge fan of HPM and I can't stop suggesting every time I have the opportunity that developers should use it. Really nice piece of code - and a large piece of code I must say!

I would like to know if the support of libraries in HPM is in your plans. I believe that it would add a very useful functionality to HPM.

Once more, thank you for your excellent work!

2 Likes

It's been on my list to do, I started working on it. Free time has been the issue, plus the fact that I never really used the libraries myself and I haven't heard many devs clamoring to get it added to HPM. I'm hoping to get some time to work on it before the end of the year.

3 Likes

Great!

I don't know about other devs, but on my app/drivers that I released, whenever I had the need to share the same code among app/drivers, I moved it to the app. It is not as functional as a #include since I have to explicitly use the "parent." reference whenever I need to use the code moved up to the app. I'd rather prefer to keep the app and drivers code separated - no special reason, however.

I really appreciate your work. Thank you!

1 Like

I installed the code, i have enabled local security. entered credentials but get an error: An error occurred logging into the hub. Please verify your Hub Security username and password.
I do not see any logging. Stuck....

Either the username/password is incorrect, or double check that your hub actually has security enabled.